No announcement yet.

Linkert m74 idle control/throttle plate light leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing I own is like they came out of the Factory. No chance to show at AMCA, for me, Even if/when I put the 1947 FL back as two wheels, even with the 1945 4 speed Harley transmission (I was born in 1945 and finding that transmission is what makes me want to use it, and doing the 1948 makes me want to use it on a two wheeler), there will be lots of non-Harley parts and Bob modifications! I just cannot help myself, I'm a fixer. Will probably keep all the electronics, except the push button starter.

That's a cool picture you sent. I have a 53 FL, but it sure does not look like that one! :-)

Thank you.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by CAP'N BOB View Post
      Nothing I own is like they came out of the Factory.
      Don't feel all alone, Cap'n!

But I think I could fake a crate,

"Best available reproduction", right?

(Hope they weren't tulip poplar.)

....Cotten
      PS: Please feel free to start a new topic about operating foot clutches.

I have advice declared not 'correct'.
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-04-2022, 10:03 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thank you, Tom, I will do that.

Comment

Hey, Tom, I just posted a question about tank shift/foot shift

Comment

Short update. It has been a long time since I posted to this or any string (I did another about tank shifting and received a lot of guidance, which I appreciate, none of which took or made me a tank shift rider). A friend who builds and rides tank shifts came over and noted a couple of issues for me. I am too tall for the bars causing the bars to hit my legs/knees in any effort to turn, making shifting very difficult, and making me need to lean way down to reach the bars, throwing my whole riding style out the window, and working the clutch is difficult for me because of the geometry of fighting the bars. He recommended that I discuss taller bars with my customer, so I did. We agreed to get Flanders bars, which required new spirals, rewiring, etc. I finally have the bars on and the throttle and advance set up. In the process, I was able to make the stock type throttle bracket fit and work. Better than the one I made, so that bracket (part number 56604-48), a one year only part I believe, is on the bike and works smoothly. The tanks are not back on, but I'm confident this will work. Looks better and is smoother.

The Flanders type bars with dog-bone risers look good on the bike, I think.

I hope this link will allow anyone interested to see the video that demonstrates the working of the throttle and advance. https://vimeo.com/725477976

I also found that the short grips for the Stellings spirals had to be cut down from long grips. I saw a photo of a knuck that is at Wheels Through Time which had Flanders bars and short grips, so I contacted Matt at Wheels Through Time, he graciously told me how that all worked and that I had to cut down stock grips to make the short ones. Amazing how much I do not know about old Harleys. Thank all of you who have been helping me learn.

Bob

20220624_173550.jpg20220624_173535.jpg20220624_174134.jpg20220624_173550.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

You may need to use Today28Jun22 as a password to look at the video link.

Comment

Working...
              X