Linkert m74 idle control/throttle plate light leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gosh, Cap'n Bob,..

Its easiest to just order a repop of the ""correct"" bracket.

If you think you can fabricate something that's great, but usually trying to save the customer a buck turns out to be charity out of your own pocket,

....Cotten

AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Charity is good! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by CAP'N BOB View Post
        Charity is good! :-)
        So how long you been in business, Bob?

Doing charity soon returns it to a hobby.

.....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

2006. Yes, it probably does, but, I am the last resort for some of my customers when no-one else will help them, like with this 1948 that came to me in multiple boxes and tubs and not put together, and missing a lot of what was/is needed, and I learn a tremendous amount. As my mentor, Eddie Boomhower, told me, sometimes it is just the cost of an education, and I believe everything Eddie tells me! I break at least even every year (even with a salary) and get to build inventory and buy new tools, so, for me, it does not get any better than that. This is not work for me, it is a passion (or addiction as some would say), and as noted, I get to learn a lot when taking on a project like this one.
          Bob

Comment

:Lemme guess, Bob,..

You've got a real job on the side?

(And single, too?)

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Ha. Retired after 33 years in the Navy. Married to a great woman. Do not care about making more money to just give to the IRS; I have received so much from so many people and as long as my business pays for itself, pays the insurance, and so forth, I am good. I am paying back what has been taught to me over the years by motorcycle mechanics and repair people--People like Eddie Boomhower, Perry Ruiter, others along the way, and now you, Tom. I truly appreciate what you have to tell me, even when I know you are pimping me, it makes me stop, think. learn and laugh at myself a little, which is always good! :-)

By the way, I had never pressure tested anything, really, until you taught me about the bubble test for the Linkert. My customer has two gas tank halves, of course, right and left, and I decided I could pressure test them using what you had taught me about the bubble test and setting up a regulator with clear hose. Just finished both tank halves, they do not leak. I was wondering how to do that when it occurred to me what you taught me for the intake. With a small adaptation, it worked. Again, you have helped me with something that needed to be done on this old bike. Thank you, Tom.

Bob

Comment

For pan cover gaskets, I swear by REAL brand. They are silicon rubber. I run these on my 50 and do not use D rings and they never leak a drop and are reusable. The REAL gasket company makes rocker cover gaskets for antique aircraft engines. But the proprietors are antique motorcycle enthusiasts as well. I have been running their pan cover gaskets for years. You can find their website by doing an online search.

Comment

You're a good man Cap'n Bob! You have a a great attitude and . . . a retired squid, to boot!

Did you retire as a "Cap'n", O-6?

Cheers from a fellow squid

Anchors aweigh!

Comment

Yes, O-6, Mustang. Went in an E-2 (some college) in 1966--Came out an O-6 in 1999 (lots of college). Good career. I was a Hospital Corpsman, in-service commission to Medical Service Corps.

The CAP'N in my business name came to me because Eddie called me Cap'n Bob. We were stationed in Portsmouth and I needed help with my 1978. Eddie had a shop, Boomhower Cycle Specialties in Chesapeake. I spent a lot of time there. He sold me the 1947 engine I have in the trike, and he put me in touch with the man who sold me my 1953 Pan. He has helped me in person and via telephone ever since the early 90's, when I met him. So, in honor of Eddie, I named my business CAP'N BOB'S BIKES, Inc.

What did you do in the Navy?

Comment

Originally posted by camsaure View Post
                      For pan cover gaskets, I swear by REAL brand. They are silicon rubber. I run these on my 50 and do not use D rings and they never leak a drop and are reusable. The REAL gasket company makes rocker cover gaskets for antique aircraft engines. But the proprietors are antique motorcycle enthusiasts as well. I have been running their pan cover gaskets for years. You can find their website by doing an online search.
                      I will look them up on the internet. Thank you camsaure.

Comment

Went to their site and ordered a pair. Thank you, camsaure

Comment

This is for Tom Cotton to see how smoothly the throttle works. With any luck, this link will work: https://vimeo.com/658238466

Comment

That certainly illustrates what I meant by 'flex', Cap'n!

If it works, don't fix it.

....Cotten
                            AMCA #776

Comment

It works, Tom, I am going to leave it alone! :-) Controls the idle and revs up and pulls back down easily.

Is there a way to hook a spring on that linkage so the throttle pulls back to idle when a person lets off the throttle, instead of needing to push it back closed? Ok, so that does not sound like I am going to leave it alone, but assisted return for the throttle plate seems like a good idea, if it is doable.

Comment

Originally posted by CAP'N BOB View Post
                                It works, Tom, I am going to leave it alone! :-) Controls the idle and revs up and pulls back down easily.

Is there a way to hook a spring on that linkage so the throttle pulls back to idle when a person lets off the throttle, instead of needing to push it back closed? Ok, so that does not sound like I am going to leave it alone, but assisted return for the throttle plate seems like a good idea, if it is doable.
                                If your livelihood actually depended upon it, Cap'n,...

You'd know better than to try.

....Cotten
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X