No announcement yet.

Linkert m74 idle control/throttle plate light leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marry Christmas. Thank you, all, and especially Tom.

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/660119236

Comment

Law of unintended consequences bit me. The throttle cable clamp worked well, right up until I was installing the left side fuel tank, then it was too big/tall. So, here is my solution and a video link to show it also works, this time with the fuel tank on! :-) Pictures 3 and 4 are not a repeat, they are to show that the linkage works all the way with the tank on. And, the clamp is nigh on to invisible with the tank on. Time to powder coat!

20210818_185435.jpg20220129_121124.jpg20220129_124819.jpg20220129_124828.jpg20220129_124841.jpg

and the video link: https://vimeo.com/671527795

Comment

Originally posted by CAP'N BOB View Post
        Yes, O-6, Mustang. Went in an E-2 (some college) in 1966--Came out an O-6 in 1999 (lots of college). Good career. I was a Hospital Corpsman, in-service commission to Medical Service Corps.

The CAP'N in my business name came to me because Eddie called me Cap'n Bob. We were stationed in Portsmouth and I needed help with my 1978. Eddie had a shop, Boomhower Cycle Specialties in Chesapeake. I spent a lot of time there. He sold me the 1947 engine I have in the trike, and he put me in touch with the man who sold me my 1953 Pan. He has helped me in person and via telephone ever since the early 90's, when I met him. So, in honor of Eddie, I named my business CAP'N BOB'S BIKES, Inc.

What did you do in the Navy?
        I just now saw your question, Cap'n. I was a pilot. I flew A-7s off the USS Carl Vinson for a few years. Separated in 1989 after 9 years active duty.

Comment

Naval Aviator! Cool. So is my son, though, now he is retired, too. :-) Age advances.

Comment

Good afternoon.

I am learning how to clutch/shift. The video links are one from the right and one from the left of the bike, with my first effort. I need to adjust the clutch lever rod, I’d say. And, of course, develop some technique. This is the first time in my life that I have worked with a foot clutch/tank shift and need to be very sure of myself before I put this out on the road. I do not want to hurt this bike, and I’m pretty sure my customer does not want me to hurt it. He has asked me to do the first 50 miles, and I most likely will do that.

It will come to me. It is fun, just sitting on this bike.

Hopefully, my customer will like this bike.

Small issue, he has a fuel strainer and the fuel line from the crossover on the fuel strainer he brought has a different thread. I was hoping to hook up the hard fuel line, today, after the first trial with the clutch/shift and not need to use the fuel bag for future learning. But…

Anyone know what should be on this bike? He did not bring a fuel line from the cross over, so I ordered one for a 1948, which would fit on the Linkert float bowl, it appears, but without the strainer.

Also, any guidance on technique and/or adjustments that you can see I need, please let me know. I am in a steep, clean slate learning curve with the foot clutch/tank shift.

Thank you.

Bob

The links:

https://vimeo.com/672539154

https://vimeo.com/672518724

Comment

if thats a 48 the throttle activating fixture on the carb is earlier model not 48 also there is a cable holder that mounts on the top motor mount bolt
              Last edited by ronniecox; 02-04-2022, 09:42 AM. Reason: new info

Comment

Originally posted by ronniecox View Post
                if thats a 48 the throttle activating fixture on the carb is earlier model not 48 also there is a cable holder that mounts on the top motor mount bolt
                You are correct, of course, Ronnie!

But 'correct' went to the curb long ago with this machine.

The Cap'n just wants it to work with what he's got.

Every one of us could do it different.

....Cotten
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-04-2022, 11:10 AM.
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yup, Tom, that is correct! :-) This bike most likely will never be in a show or maybe even ridden much, but it must work. Small example of issues I've had from the beginning just popped up, after my last gas bottle run (I thought, "last", but..), the bike has a fuel strainer. I was all set to get the fuel tanks set up and found the fuel strainer that my customer had purchased from a swap meet is for 1949 up and the 1948 correct fuel line would not work. So, I've ordered a fuel strainer that will work (please God, let it be so), since it is for up through 48.

If you watched the video, you will notice the mis-matched fuel tanks, mis-matched front and rear fenders, Dash is painted white and tail light is chrome (though, the chrome tail light may just be a 1948 one from Harley Davidson), and a lot of other things that are from now, not from then, and years other than 1948. Old parts, new parts, stock parts, repop parts, everything that came to me in tubs was from swap meets and years of collecting parts (I'm betting the frame is not a stock 1948, but am not sure). Not whining, just stating facts. Now that this runs, I am happy. Will be even happier when it is complete and in my customer's possession, I think. :-)

With Tom's and other's help, the carburetor works, the oil filter housing fits and works, and the oil filter canister actually does not leak! I've run the bike often enough to know those will not leak. The heads, on the other hand, still weep, but I have decided to go with it instead of taking the heads off again to put in yet another set of gaskets (which I've already done), since it is not bad and I have no assurance that they will not always weep, even with a different set of gaskets.

Been quite the learning experience.

I did try one of the throttle cable holders for a 1948, and the linkage, but just could not make them work, (in fact, one guy who was trying to help me, when he saw the photos I sent told me this was "All F..ed up", because the intake manifold was also wrong and too long, so advised that I just figure it out to make it work, and I had to make my own, longer, choke rod lever, which I did from heavy piano wire) so did my own, more than once, but the one on there now does work and the fuel tanks fit. Certainly not period correct, since it is my newest design, but it does the job and the throttle cable works every time and smoothly. I suppose, if it were a show bike, I would look at it differently, but it just needs to work, and honestly, I've been at this rustoration for pushing 4 years. Came to me in tubs, even had to get the left case welded. As I said, I've learned a LOT about putting one together as close to stock as possible and a tremendous amount of respect for those who keep them stock and running.

On the tank shift, I have adjusted the clutch and it seems smoother. Looking forward to actually getting the fuel tanks in play and putting rubber on the road to try tank shifting. Well, I think I am looking forward to it.

Thank you, again for all the help, everyone.

Bob

Comment

all motorcycles work better with the correct parts

Comment

Originally posted by ronniecox View Post
                      all motorcycles work better with the correct parts
                      They are certainly worth more, Ronnie!

But if they get too 'correct', many of us couldn't afford to risk riding them.

"Correct", driven to the mythical AMCA ideal, eliminates the creative aspects of enjoying a vintage machine, which many find rewarding.

Does the machine really know when it's got too much chrome?

....Cotten
                      Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-04-2022, 01:36 PM.
                      AMCA #776

Comment

Correct is in the eye of the beholder, quite often, Ronnie. And, correct and stock are not necessarily the same thing. I customize bikes and build trikes, which, by definition is customized, in addition to working on stock, and now, this rustoration. I've made a lot of parts that work better than stock or aftermarket. And, my knuck and pan both have S&S carbs, Baker 6 in 4 transmissions, belt primaries, 12 volt and electronic everything, electric and kick start, they work much better, start easier, never need to adjust mechanical points or worry about advance and retard. They are not set up for antique shows or judging, they are set up for riding to Sturgis. And, that is not to say an antique bike set up for the Cannon Ball Run, for instance, cannot go across country, with the right pilot, but, most of the people I know and work with do not know how to keep a modern bike running, let alone something like this beautiful rustoration.

All of that said, and as I have said previously, I now have a better appreciation for these old, stock (almost) bikes and the people who keep them up and running, and ride them.

I am so taken with the process, God help me, I am probably going to de-trike my 1947 and put it back on two wheels with a tank shift/foot clutch. I even have a validated 1945 4 speed transmission and its old frame to use with the back to 2-wheels conversion, just sitting waiting until I can get done with the 1948 for my customer. The 1947 trike has a custom built by me frame, using a Pan front part, a Servi-car axle, etc, and is about as all custom as a person can do, even has S&S 80 inch flywheels. So, I'm kinda one of those heathens who believe I gotta mess with everything. Sometimes with terrible results, sometimes with great results. :-)

I'm with Tom Cotton when he says "creative aspects..", none of my bikes are stock, even the 2017. But, stock is cool and appreciated, even more, now, that's for sure.

Comment

There's only one "correct", Cap'n!

Just ask any AMCA judge.

....Cotten
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Good I'm not being judged! :-) My motto is Adapt and Overcome! Probably why I'm not a restorer, just a mechanic and builder.

Of course, "correct" can mean it works?

Comment

I told you I was a Heathen.

Comment

Originally posted by CAP'N BOB View Post
                                Of course, "correct" can mean it works?
                                Under AMCA judging dogma, that can be irrelevant, Cap'n!

Although the machine has to be started in front of the judge, (or so I was told, for what that's worth... ), "correct" just means it is exactly as it left the factory.

Getting it back into the crate is the hard part.

Crated 48.jpg

,,,Cotten
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X