X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pisten-bully
    replied
    Originally posted by indian301 View Post
    You need to have more slack in your front brake cable between the clip on the fender and the adjusting screw or it will lock up when you hit a hard bump.
    Good eye Dave! ...and duly noted here.

Dana, lookin’ good there, looking forward to hearing about that first ride!

Leave a comment:

• indian301
    replied
    Dana,

You need to have more slack in your front brake cable between the clip on the fender and the adjusting screw or it will lock up when you hit a hard bump.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• d_lasher
    replied
    Here's a picture of it down on the ground...

Leave a comment:

• d_lasher
    replied
    Well, it turned out to be the throttle plate. I ordered two plates, one over sized and one standard. I wasn't too keen on boring the carb body and having to remake a venturi for it. The standard throttle plate fit much better and closed off the bore so almost no light made it through. The bike idles fine now and I can adjust the idle all the way down until the engine dies. Much better

I got the carb mounted back on the engine only to find the float was sticking and gas would leak, pour, out of the throttle body and vent hole. I took the bowl off three times and checked it on the bench only to find it worked fine. The third time I just rebuilt the entire float bowl again. New valve, new needle, refitted the lever to the valve stem and measured the float level twice. This time I mounted the bowl different, I read on the forum here to mount the bowl's valve under the high speed knob and that did the trick.

'I'm not a clever person'. We say that at work whenever we struggle with a problem for way too long and it turns out to be and easy fix. So I'm trying to adjust the carburetor and I get the low speed adjustment just right,I flip the accelerator for the high speed adjustment and I'm happy with. As soon as I put the air deflector on the engine stutterers and dies. Three times in row! Turns out I had a large fan cooling the engine while it idled in the garage and it was pointed straight down the carburetor's throat. Indian's first forced air induction system. Easy fix, moved the fan to the other side and it all just worked.

I wanted to take the bike down off the stand and take if for a shake down cruise today but the pollen was just too much for me. By lunch time I was sneezing and trying to scratch my eyeballs out.

Check back here next weekend for videos and pictures of the first ride!

19 Weekends until the rally.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Cooke
    replied
    And check your throttle shaft and bushings as well. Anymore than ~1 thou clearance and they'll need replacing.

Leave a comment:

• d_lasher
    replied
    Thanks for the picture Peter, it seems I have a lot of work to do this weekend to get it going. I was hoping to get it on the ground this weekend.

Dana

Leave a comment:

• Peter Cooke
    replied
    Dana, Tom Cotton will probably confirm but I'm pretty sure that's to much light passing the throttle disc because your disc is worn. It should have no tab like the other end. You may also have an 'eyebrow' groove in the throttle bore.
    I had to have my bore honed to +6 thou to remove the eyebrow groove and then make a new disc to suit. Now it looks like this.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• d_lasher
    replied
    Lot's of work done in the last few weekends. I managed to get the engine in and start him up, but nothing is ever easy with this bike. The engine runs fine but it idles way too fast. I started with the the idle mixture screw 3 turns out, the hi speed screw 1 1/2 turns out. It starts easily and runs well with the ignition fully retarded but starts to race way too fast when I advance it. I can lean out the idle mixture to about 1/2 turn before the engine falters and dies.

I took the carburetor off and did another bubble test with soapy water but didn't fine any leaks in the manifold or nipples. I put it all back together and tried it again. But I had the same issue. I double checked for leaks with a unlit propane torch around the manifold intake, nipples and the carb to manifold gasket, but nothing happened. So I'm relatively sure I don't have any leaks in the plumbing.

Some of the problem with the carb is I don't know what 'right ' is. The only thing I can think of is I'm getting too much air past the throttle plate. I took a picture of the throttle plate in and out of the carb.

If you look at the throttle plate it looks like there's a tab on it. This tab was inside the linkage shaft and I first thought it was meant to be that way. But if you look at the second picture you can see the light leakage right where that tab is.

So my question is this right, or is this too much light passing through the throttle plate? If it's too much light, is the bore of the carb the problem or the throttle plate?

Any help you guys can give would be great!

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• d_lasher
    replied
    Look what came in the mail today!

IMG_1639.jpgIMG_1645.jpg

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by d_lasher View Post
    Start rant ==> The Indian intake manifold is a PAIN IN THE A** <== End rant

It took 10 tries and all morning to get it in without leaks. The whole design seems like a house of cards.
    At least you avoided the frustration, Dana,...

Of trying to diagnose or tune around it, if you just bolted it on without testing.

...Cotten

Leave a comment:

• d_lasher
    replied
    Start rant ==> The Indian intake manifold is a PAIN IN THE A** <== End rant

It took 10 tries and all morning to get it in without leaks. The whole design seems like a house of cards.

Leave a comment:

• d_lasher
    replied
    While my bike is away I started working on the seat. I'm going with a later scout seat pan, a layer of 1/4 foam, 5/8 gel pad and another 1/8 foam layer. I figure a good seat will pay dividends down the road, especially on day 20 of the cannonball.

Here's a pic of making a template for the leather strap under the pan to sew the top leather too. Once again I've never worked with leather so this is a first for me. Any suggestions, tips or gotchas I should know?

IMG_1633.jpg

Leave a comment:

• d_lasher
    replied
    Yes, But in order to title it in CA it has to have a frame VIN. So I have to have the CHP issue one for it. In order to do that a CHP officer has to verify the frame is legit.

That’s just how it works here.

Leave a comment:

• indian301
    replied
    101's never had the vin stamped on the frame.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• d_lasher
    replied
    Big day today, took the bike down off the dolly for the first time and took it to the CHP office to apply for a VIN so I can get a CA title! It was cool to actually see it on the Ground as a roller.

It will be at the CHP office for a week while they research the lack of a frame VIN and assign a new one to it. The officer working on it was really nice. He restores hot rods and was super impressed with the bike.

14D76D55-143C-4211-A4B8-3471B6884716.jpg

Still lots todo but it should be running soon, how cool will that be!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X