!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walneck's Photo

Got the January 2010 issue of Walneck's Classic Cycle Trader today. At the lead of the Barber Vintage Festival article is a full page picture of slojoe on his 1909 Harley. Joe was a repeat winner of the Barber Century Race. Good job Joe!
    David Morrill
    Sylacauga, AL. USA.
    AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
    Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

This project is looking more and more like a motorsickle every day!!

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

Spaghetti anyone?

Spaghetti anyone?
        The front spring fork was crying for attention today. This fork was purchased October at White Rose Jefferson Pa. A.M.C.A. final meet of the year it was softly bent (spaghetti like) in all directions without any severe damage by rust or otherwise. Serious consideration was given to re-tubing the spring fork and the decision was made to use as much of the original steel possible. The bike is supposed to be 95 years old not six months old, use the original components
        The fork set received a days worth of straightening once already and the semi-finish results were unacceptable. Forks bend with little effort so care must be taken not to over shoot the results you desire. After several hours with half round blocks, a hydraulic press, C clamps and a lot of persistence the spring fork was straight and parallel.
        Once the fork is straight the fork spring plungers must be checked for smooth operation through out their entire travel range. Once straight and operating smooth mechanically, the spring fork was mounted on the rigid fork to test operation of the plungers, all was well to this phase of assembly.
        Next was a test fit of the drive reduction countershaft sprocket assembly otherwise know as a transmission (this is a single speed bike). The unit fit up nice yet has a couple issues that prohibit proper operation, it is a reproduction unit nicely done and will call for just a little tuning to make it fully functional.
        Note in the preceding photo of the front fork, the secret weapon for good ride and front brake compression resistance. This particular fork is actually a 1923 only J fork The JD fork from 1922 and up was even more robust, to much fork for this bike where as this fork is the same as 1916 with only the added spring perch, apparently an afterthought by the factory to use up some old stock.
        Thanksgiving Day will prevent the flow of parts coming in and the flow of productivity also. Enjoy yourselves.
        Joe

Comment

Century race

Thanks David for the compliment and also notice of the photo, I was unaware of the article in Walnecks fine magazine. The Barber event is a fantastic opportunity to get out the old bikes and really run them. It is to bad that this year did not bring out a dozen or more bikes shame on our buds with 09 and earlier bike that did not show this year.
          Joe
          Last edited by Slojo; 11-26-2009, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Barber

Joe,

Thanks for making the trek down here, sitting through Saturday's rain, and sticking around for the rescheduled race. Love to see those old bikes on the track! Wish I could afford something that old, I'd be out there for sure.
            David Morrill
            Sylacauga, AL. USA.
            AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
            Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

David
              It took about 20 years to build the 09 I raced at Barber this year. Johnny Cash'ed together with mostly original parts.
              Joe
              Last edited by Slojo; 11-27-2009, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks much Joe and Cory for keeping us all posted. This is really interesting stuff, inspir'ing! Lots of us would love to be that skilled. I am sure impressed with how many guys are building bikes just for the Cannonball run. Hopeing to have them done and ready by the start date, impressive stuff. The few bikes I have done, with help - took me years, not month's. Keep it up, it's great keeping up on your progress!

Comment

Tom......it's all Joe. I'm just a messenger..... I'm just a basic backyard mechanic and I think the work that is going into this bike is amazing. I agree with Eric's earlier post. It would be nice if others could manage the time to take us through a build. This forum could turn into a real educational experience.
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

c1916 H-D Paint Techniques

Joe,

You were wondering how Harley-Davidson applied paint in the 1914 era. The following comes from a 1916 H-D source:

"The last coats of enamel were most carefully applied by hand to insure an even distribution over all parts. Each coat of enamel was very carefully hand-rubbed by expert finishers."

This sounds like the paint was put on with a brush ("by hand") and that it was sanded ("hand-rubbed") between coats. Probably other guys have studied this subject in detail and can provide more information.

Since your machine will be out on the road with a million cars, I think the idea of a disc brake up front is a very good one.
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======
                    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                      How about photos of the Red & White Panhead.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Someone help me out here with my quote accuracy

Quoting Tom,” inspir'ing! Lots of us would love to be that skilled”.
                        I believe that either Benjy Franklin or Tommy Edison stated something as to the following, "Genius is 5% inspiration 95% perspiration" apply the same concept to bike building see what you can really do for yourself.
                        My first motorsickle, a used 1970 XLCH H.D. Sportster (still have it), of course did break down shortly after bringing it home in 1977. First thing to do with a broken motorcycle is to get an expert on the subject to fix it. When you have no experience at all on the particular problem, your 18 and have a limited amount of resources, tools and experience what do you do? A call was place to my brother in law he was a bike mechanic (forget the fact that his bikes seldom ran well). He did fix the bike and it was off into the wind again.
                        A day latter the bike failed again and a call to my brother in law was the plan. Does anyone see a problem here? STOP,,, my father interceded the call and asked me a few basic mechanical questions about the problem and why not address the issue myself. Dad was not a mechanic he just had more confidence in me than he did my elder brother in law.
                        Next thing was to disassemble the bike and fix it myself. That one conversation brought me to where I am today with business and ground up bike building, usually stock / restoration and more recently a little off the wall as you will see by the following photos (Cory you out there?) of my Twin Carb 1948 FL Panhead…….. “Modified ……..Period”….Otherwise known as “Unfinished Business” (is anything really finished?). Apparently the skill that Tom would love to have may be lurking in all or most off us just work at it and see for your self just what you can really do. Remember to keep telling yourself "Genius is, 5% inspiration 95% perspiration".
                        Hope all had a good Thanksgiving Day, this year I was left alone to care for my self or at least I thought so. A most gracious offer came from my friend Brad (see Brad's blog @ "the zen of neato" for some good entertainment)to have T-dinner with his family and friends. It was a meal that won’t be forgotten soon, delicious and abundant, something to really give thanks for.
                        Mail just showed and the front Y pipe / muffler end cap from Jeff Willis, Willis Garage arrived. Time for the 95% thing.
                        Joe
                        Last edited by Slojo; 11-27-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

That's some great words there Joe! Very inspiring...... "5% inspiration and 95% perspiration". I like that. I read this post after I posted the Pan pics. You can find them in the Panhead section...
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Pans and Pocket Valves

Above is the most recent 100% bike build from out of my shop. The twin carb configuration is of my own design. A concept dreamed up about 25 years ago, obviously inspired by Harleys own XR750. The bike uses two front cylinders and heads (Honestly a good enough rear cylinder head could not be found to build this bike properly). With a 78 inch displacement, dual M53A1 bomb site carbs off the hot KHK models, in house custom made intake and exhaust manifolds and a slightly warmed up hydraulic camshaft by Jim Leineweber of Leineweber Cams from California this machine runs strong and will purr like a kitten at idle. The oil system was modified to resemble a 1953 systems to allow for Hydraulic lifters and the oil pump drive gears were updated also to change the pump ratio increasing the volume of the pump to maintain the demands of the lifters.
                              The brake drums are newly reproduced with the machine work completed in house (casting were poured outside). These brake drums and rims are direct copies of the 1954/1969 Harley KR Daytona racing program. The ball bearings are doubled up and larger spokes installed to handle the added weight.
                              Much of the shinny stuff is not chrome but stainless steel, stainless was used generously for several years especially during1949. The bike is built of mostly N.O.S. or mint condition parts and has many interesting characteristic period accessories and home made items.
                              Enough on the 48 pan now to the subject at hand the 1914 M/C Cannon ball machine. Muffler castings came in today by USPS, these are raw castings made from rubber molds, to produce an investment type casting. The steel castings take shape from the poured wax and some times the mold and or the wax move around in the process giving you a deformed part. This was the case here as there was a slight disfiguration in the finish casting. Not a problem though with a little tuning on the hydraulic press the casting is ready to be machined. Following are photos of the machining process and the near finished parts.
                              Joe
                              Last edited by Slojo; 11-28-2009, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X