!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil

27 point something maybe 27.25 ??? on the tire diameter . I don't have a TV so I miss all that "soap opera's" stuff on the (not so) reality , soap opera shows. Oh I get it the Ghost is the fish . Where is that smiley icon when you need it?

joe

Comment

• Originally posted by Slojo View Post
      Phil

27 point something maybe 27.25 ??? on the tire diameter . I don't have a TV so I miss all that "soap opera's" stuff on the (not so) reality , soap opera shows. Oh I get it the Ghost is the fish . Where is that smiley icon when you need it?

joe
      all them smily icons look kinda gay to me.... no, really, they mess me up when I try to use them.

Comment

• Phil/Joe;

Would be interesting to here Brads answers to the same questions regarding the Excelsior, I'm pretty sure the '13 X had main bushings instead of bearings. Did he modify/upgrade anything on the X ? ....smiley face/ sun glasses....
        Louie
        FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
        Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
        YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

• Originally posted by LouieMCman View Post
          Phil/Joe;

Would be interesting to here Brads answers to the same questions regarding the Excelsior, I'm pretty sure the '13 X had main bushings instead of bearings. Did he modify/upgrade anything on the X ? ....smiley face/ sun glasses....
          Louie, that's what I'm talking about! Glad I'm not the only one so interested.
          Further, it sounds as if Joe's 14 has a "spherical" output bearing. (in my industrial world they call it that, when the shaft is less than true in rotation). Is this because of a tendency to runout over time, a short time? or were wheels too soft for, uhh, .. what? and Joe, did that bearing have an interference fit on the inner race? or am I out in right field? or the bull pen? or the parking lot?! (confused smily here!)
          I'm also amazed at "ancient" technologies, and whether some of today's "advanced" uses are just a century-old copy.

I noticed a bronze bushing output on an earlier 30's Junior Scout not long ago. Wonder how much life was expected.

Comment

• Phil

On the spherical output shaft bearing.

Two engine case halves may have a slight misalignment and , flywheels will flex while running under load. This type of bearing can compensate for these two problems.

As time and millions of miles throughout the last one hundred years has proven , the spherical ball bearing assembly works well for a low powered engine capable of out running ,,, say ,,,, a pack of Wolfe's (smiley face w/boxing gloves ...).

The bearing to engine case has an interference fit. Installation required a warmed case and the bearing dropped right in , probably a half thou interference (.0005") , I don't remember the exact fit but it was measured and approved prior to installation.

joe

Comment

• thx Joe! If you send it, I'll read it.
              I take it that output shaft didn't have to be hardened a whole lot, because your bearing consisted of inner and outer race, right? wrong?

Comment

• Phil

Wrong

The hard bearing race will work on a softer shaft ultimately wearing a groove where the race rides on the shaft. 58 to 60 RC about .03" case hardening is what I used (once again by memory on these numbers) .

The threads on the pins were masked off to prevent them from becoming hard and brittle . The carbonized heat treat process can be limited by masking. This masking process prohibits the carbon rich atmosphere from entering the area you don't want to case harden.

joe

Comment

• I am always amazed by the technology that Joe knows.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Joe, I went to a wedding (niece) in Detroit on a sunday, august 15(?), thought about dropping in to spy on you. You were probably at Matt Olson's wedding that weekend??
                    Anyway, the crankpin then, did you have to anneal it before modifying it?
                    and can you recommend a dummy's book for an intro to such metals work?

Comment

• Phil

Unfortunately, I missed Matt's wedding due to the cannonball preparations , restraints. In other words you should have spent the dime and called.

The crank pin was machined without annealing using carbide tooling and grinding equipment. The crank pin maybe 62 rc , carbide cutter about 72 rc . If the cutter is harder it will cut the softer material with due care.

Dummy book,,,, I suggest the book of hard knocks ,,, no, Start with the machinists hand book , it is considered the bible of machining with about the same amount of pages as the bible.

joe

Comment

• Chris, as a degreed engineer steeped in the world of Neuber Analysis (metal fatigue), motorcycle development - and Joe Gardella, I am NOT surprised 1 iota.

Joe falls under a very, very little used classification I call "Wright Brothers Engineer". The self-taught, world-class, expert.

Comment

• Charlie

It is always good to hear form you , thank you for your positive inpute . World class , isn't that pushing it a little? I believe learning comes best from many practical experiences such as, class room, self induced , real life, exchange in conversations ...... You will learn little to nothing sitting in front of a TV or bellied up to a bar !

The Ghost has over 12000 miles now , the failures are as follows,

1) Magnetos , an assortment of issues. CB I and CB II
                          2), Weld , on a purchased item . CB I
                          3) Intake valve spring , CB II . I ended up with seven intake springs when only six were made to order. The seventh spring was the prototype I was sent home with for evaluation , it did not find its way through the pizza oven for annealing.

I think I now have the magneto issues resolved, knowledge by experience.

joe
                          Last edited by Slojo; 10-08-2012, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• "World class, isn't that pushing it a little? I believe learning comes best from many practical experiences such as, class room, self induced , real life, exchange in conversations ...... You will learn little to nothing sitting in front of a TV or bellied up to a bar!"

As I stated, "Wright Brothers Award - for the Intuitive, Non-Degreed Engineer." Ghost is not perfect, but by "things YOU did" by your own brain and hand, you've had zero issues. Correct? Your female con rod for instance, innovative design.

................Ohhhhh I feel "Hawaiian Sloth" beginning to set in once more...............

Comment

• Joe i am slow on the congratulations. The ghost with over 12 K is nothing short of amazing. My wife says I have to make a special effort to get you Goldeye. So be it.I will retire in less than 2 years and hope to tag along with you on your many adventures. Our paths will cross next year for sure..
                              Ross

Comment

• Ross

Thanks for the approval. Listen to your wife !

joe

Comment

Working...
                                X