old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by exeric View Post
    I didn't know Frank Zappa's grandfather rode a pacer.
    Can't believe you guys missed that it was Ringo Starr's grandfather plowing through that mud bog.

...Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Los Angeles

Comment

• Looks like the guy in the back is inhaling a fair bit of smoke! Great photo Scott!!!
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Must be where the expression getting "smoked by the competition" came from!
          David Morrill
          Sylacauga, AL. USA.
          AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
          Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

• Originally posted by sveger View Post
            Cory,
            I only know as I have a friend that worked in a very small museum factory with spinning sheep whool traditionaly on machines from late 1800`s. They made several products (like these outfits) that couldnt be made by modern production techniques and machinery. As both of us drive motorcycles in most any condition even at winter he got us one each simmilar to as shown in the picture (w long legs tough).
            I tell you, you are never cold when you drive and if you have to push your bike you dont get sweaty hence you stay warm after pushing too.
            But, one look rather crazy in the moment from when the whool suit is on to the motorcycle outfit cover it up for other to see :-)))
            What I am trying to say is that I hardly think one would impress the ladies in such a whool suit (one even smell sheep).

Did you have any idea in what bike is pictured in post 933
            Sverre
            That photo is awesome, got a good chuckle. You had to be serious to go out dressed like that

AFA wool - I actually used to wear full length top and bottom wool wear as well as shorts and short sleeve in the days when I was doing a lot of bicycle touring. On long tours I would be up at dawn and ride to dusk. Going over or close to 100 miles a day with 4 loaded panniers wasn't that unusual. Used to do a lot of "century" rides as well on a weekend. And commuted every day all year except if it was snowing or raining when I was leaving for work. Don't know if the wool I was using had the lanolin in it, but it was thin, comfortable and didn't smell. It kept you warm even when wet. It allowed your skin to breath extremely well and wicked incredibly. I do know that it was treated so that it didn't prick the skin. I think there was a label that said Merino Wool, but not sure any more. And - a looked almost as goofy in it but not quite as those guys in the photo. But - I know I used it till I wore it out or the moths got to it
            Last edited by rbenash; 11-25-2009, 08:53 AM.
            Ray
            AMCA #7140

Comment

• It looks like the handlebars off a curtiss V8
              Last edited by Scott Parker; 11-25-2009, 12:17 PM. Reason: forgot description

Comment

• Every body knows strap tank Harley twins never exisited, Just ask Harley.
                Probably the best photo of this type of bike I have ever seen.
                slojo

Comment

• Happy Thanksgiving

http://laughingindian.com/
                  http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                  A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

• Keeping with the Indian theme........ Here's one on fire patrol at Sequoia National Forest....

Last edited by c.o.; 11-26-2009, 07:18 PM.
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Imcc ????

Originally posted by indianut View Post

Can anybody tell me more about the IMCC logo on the caps that a couple of guys are wearing on the left of the picture.

IMCC = Indian motorcycle club ???? Or ??????

Happy Thanksgiving !

Juha

Comment

• The Penant sez Indian M. C. C. also. Indian Moto Cycle Club???
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• I love this picture that Danny posted. What a happy group of people which means the IMCC must have been a great club to be in. I have to wonder if it was a European club because the side car is on the left of that Big Chief.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

• Eric,
                            Most likely British or some part of the commonwealth. The Europeans all drive on the right like we do.
                            Robbie
                            Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• Originally posted by sveger View Post
                              Here is some cool early European stuff that was used in the early days of Scandinavian motorcycling

This bike is interesting. It looks like either an American Mitchell or Thomas motorcycle but comes from Europe.

I wonder if it is an American import or a Euro bike. I think the French (maybe De Dion-Bouton) first came up with this high-mounted engine in a diamond frame design and what the Americans would copy c1899-1901.
                              Herbert Wagner
                              AMCA 4634
                              =======
                              The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Old shot on the predecessor to US 66.
                                Robbie
                                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                                X