No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It sure is nice to see them ridden! That shot of the 344 in the sunset is an award winning pic!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• It's close enough to the 11 11 11 day and I must pick up on Co's comment on Indian on the east coast during WW2. My 2 closest friends as I was involved in old motorcycles were irv Loewen ( to the death an Indian man) and Bert Bentley ( to the death a Harley guy). I've had a few beers tonight and am remembering my own Dad who was gone from my mother for 6 long years as he served my country. But Irv was a fighter pilot in WW2. Spitfires and the Hurricane that he bowed to in reverance, Bert was a Full Colonel at d day and was one of the major reasons Canada bought the WLC. So I sit here at my computor in total awe of both iconic brands and have only on thing to say. Lest we forget, lest we forget.
      Ross

Comment

• Originally posted by Ross View Post
        It's close enough to the 11 11 11 day and I must pick up on Co's comment on Indian on the east coast during WW2. My 2 closest friends as I was involved in old motorcycles were irv Loewen ( to the death an Indian man) and Bert Bentley ( to the death a Harley guy). I've had a few beers tonight and am remembering my own Dad who was gone from my mother for 6 long years as he served my country. But Irv was a fighter pilot in WW2. Spitfires and the Hurricane that he bowed to in reverance, Bert was a Full Colonel at d day and was one of the major reasons Canada bought the WLC. So I sit here at my computor in total awe of both iconic brands and have only on thing to say. Lest we forget, lest we forget.
        Nice post Ross. My late father was a WWII 5th Armoured Division vet in Europe and ended up facing the Russians on the Elbe River.

How is 304A coming along?
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======
        The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by sveger View Post
          C.O.,
          those Chiefs are the same as the French army bought and the Germans later brought from France to Norway during WWII.
          I just recently found three complete wheels, the gearbox and primary from one of those that still where in a barn in a village close to where I live. The bike was thrown in a local lake (where it still is, they dumped stones ontop) in the mid sixties, sigh!
          God thing is the wheels are now connected to another Army Chief;
          http://home.online.no/~344chief/
          This Chief get used and abused which I find great.

Regards
          Sverre
          http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
          Really great photos of the riding conditions over there in the north! Looks very challenging and fun. I'm surprised at the lack of windshields though. Those conditions look cold like here!

The old Harley dealer "Uke" (Kenosha) told me a story about those Indian Chiefs in the Wehrmacht. He was an observer in France during the Battle of the Bulge and saw German troops coming thru. He radioed in: "German tanks, trucks, troops. German soldiers on Indian motorcycles!"

On the other end they radioed back and said: "You idiot! If they're Indian motorcycles then they're American troops!"

But of course Uke being a dealer since 1930 and a hillclimber who had plenty of trouble from Indians knew full well what an Indian motorcycle looked like. But they wouldn't believe him.
          Herbert Wagner
          AMCA 4634
          =======

Comment

• i'm guessing that in those road conditions the speed was less than 40 mph and spills were fairly frequent. i rode year round in maine and took off the windshield in the winter after the first time i encountered snow blowing across black ice. it came off anyway!!!!

Comment

• American Motorcycles Norway

Another Harley sport. This guy is for sure afraid of darkness?!

Sverre
              And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
              This is a great theory.
              If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Old motorcycle

This is NOT a picture from Norway but its a Swedish soldier and his Harley.

Sverre
                http://AmericanMotorcyclesnorway.blogspot.com
                And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Old motorcycle

Gently stolen from e-pay but still cool.

Sverre
                  http://AmericanMotorcyclesnorway.blogspot.com
                  This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Originally posted by flat-happy View Post
                    i'm guessing that in those road conditions the speed was less than 40 mph and spills were fairly frequent. i rode year round in maine and took off the windshield in the winter after the first time i encountered snow blowing across black ice. it came off anyway!!!!
                    Probably right about the low speeds and spills.

I always ran a 3rd wheel, sidecar, or trike years ago for winter riding in Wisconsin (thru my college years and after). The few times I got caught on 2 wheels on snow wasn't bad UNLESS there was ice under it. One time coming home I just touched the rear brake it seemed and DOWN I went. Can't use your brakes much.

There was nothing better than to go out in the first snow of the season and joy ride. It blows peoples' minds to see motorcycles out in the snow, esp. Harleys with sidecars, etc.

What did you ride winters with in Maine?
                    Herbert Wagner
                    AMCA 4634
                    =======

Comment

• Hi Herb, A late reply. 304A is almost finished the acquiring of parts stage. About 90% done. I have sourced out from at least 10 different people. Still some odds and ends and I will begin the final build. Hopefully in a year I will be done. I will post a new thread when I am sure it looks right. Did you know that Joe G and I are only one number apart. I think that's amazing after all these years.
                      Ross

Comment

• American Motorcycles

Some more contributions;
                        Another Harley sport

Nice Pope single

Gathering for a Sunday ride

Sverre
                        This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Originally posted by Ross View Post
                          Hi Herb, A late reply. 304A is almost finished the acquiring of parts stage. About 90% done. I have sourced out from at least 10 different people. Still some odds and ends and I will begin the final build. Hopefully in a year I will be done. I will post a new thread when I am sure it looks right. Did you know that Joe G and I are only one number apart. I think that's amazing after all these years.
                          That sickle is actually coming along surprisingly fast for what you started with Ross. Please keep us posted.... Oh, and consecutive serial numbers is pretty darn interesting!
                          Cory Othen
                          Membership#10953

Comment

• Sverre! Again you post some awesome pics! I'm really digging the Sunday gathering shot! Great stuff!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

• Sverre!

Astounding photos!

Since I am clueless about early machines, I must ask about the Sunday gathering photo:

Didn't innertubes roll up back then?..... Or are they saving the air?

Many thanks again,

...Cotten
                              AMCA #776
                              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

• Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                                Sverre!

Astounding photos!

Since I am clueless about early machines, I must ask about the Sunday gathering photo:

Didn't innertubes roll up back then?..... Or are they saving the air?

Many thanks again,

...Cotten
                                Hi Cotton, I hadnt really thought about that before you mentioned. But I think this is a tire of the clincher type that is just so slick it looks like a tube. I have seen photos from very early machines where they keep innertubes rolled or wrapped at various locations on the bike.
                                Most people today dont worry to much about punctures. In the earlier days when the horses lost nails from their shoes, !!!!
                                I have an old innertube for a MC with 29 patches that I have kept for display. Most of the patches are made of old rubber boots and various other stuff. When looking at that it kind of reminds me what it took to be a daily rider "back then".

By the way, that piece you sold me at Davenport is still very popular;
                                http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_1YAR__9MKk...h/IMG_3300.jpg
                                You will know what :-)

There are still quite a few old photos in my shoe box, will upload when there is time.
                                Sverre
                                This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

Working...
                                X