old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Harleyson's View Post
    Psst. Weisst du dass nicht? Es gab keine H-D doppel bis 1909. That's what most of the history books and exhibits say!
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
      Do you mean a double single? That's one interesting machine!
      I think it was Bob Chantland who once told me that George Wagner didn't believe in twin cylinder engines, so he devised this double single motored machine.

Even Harley resisted the move to twins. There was a strong feeling that all a guy needed was one cylinder. But as that photo Ken gave us from Edgerton showed, the double fills up the frame to perfection and gives more moting power to boot. Deep mud, sand, and sustained road speed, the twin was the thing. I still believe that 2 is all you need (altho my main bike now is a BMW K100 Four with <shudder> water cooling).
      Herbert Wagner
      AMCA 4634
      =======
      The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

• Psst.

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
        Psst. Weisst du dass nicht? Es gab keine H-D doppel bis 1909. That's what most of the history books and exhibits say!
        Herbert,

du weißt es doch am besten:

"sometimes there are dark and lonely jobs but goddam it, somebody has to do them" !

Hoffe wir sehen uns bald mal wieder. Fritz

http://www.harleysons.de/menupagenew.htm
        Attached Files

Comment

• Toronto, circa 1919

There must have been a buildup of excitement that day. Check out the tree climbers!

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

• American Motorcycles Norway

Some more photos from Norway to keep this thread allive for ever, :-)

Harley with sidecar up North of the polar cicrcle

Another Harley used in the Lapplands for winter transport.

Fritz (Harleysons), love the new apperance of your Harleysons page with the "more" added.

Regards
            Sverre
            And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
            This is a great theory.
            If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Two Thors, the first one a later Big Twin that was sold in huge numbers here in Norway. The older twin is a photo found locally too but might be a relative "over there" (yes US) that have sent the pic back home.

Regards
              Sverre
              And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
              This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

This is a cool photo of our previous King Olav that is now passed away. He used to own this HD flat twin as a young man. Olav was a guy close to the Norwegian people and he even used public transport every now and then.

Regards
                Sverre
                This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

This bike is still around locally, motor have never been apart. Was taken from Texas to Norway by the guy on the pics when he was in the merchant navy in 1951ìsh.

Regards
                  Sverre
                  This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Sverre, thank-you for these excellent photos. I really enjoy all your photos!

Comment

• Kinda wierd how the "Harley-Davidson" stands out on that Sport Model.
                      Louie
                      FaceBook >>>Modern Antique Cycle
                      Blog Site >>> http://louiemcman.blogspot.com/
                      YouTube >>> LouieMCman

Comment

Here is a photo from just after WWII where the first owner of my W -39 is getting ready for a spin. Cool thing is the garage is still there not far from where I live. Looks the same today.
                        In this photo it looks like there are white grips on the handlebars. I thought that was in -37 only?

Regards
                        Sverre
                        This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

Here is a series of photos from a long holliday with my W -39 trough the southern part of Norway during the summer of 1948. The house that is burned down is due to WWII bombing and is still not repaired at this point.
                          My W was hidden from the Germans during the war as every roadworthy bike was taken by their troops.
                          Many did build false walls to hide their bikes or they removed parts to make them impossible to start or run. I`ve even spoken to older guys telling me that they digged their bike down in the ground after having wrapped it with cosmoline coated rags and canvas.
                          One god thing with the German invation was they brought many interesting bikes that stayed after the war. Lie the big Zundapps and BMW`s, French bikes as the Gnome & Rohne, Gillet Herstals and even many Army Chiefs with sidecar.

Regards
                          Sverre
                          This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Country roads

Ok, couldn resist posting this photo where there is no bike but it shows the road that faced a motorcyclist in the early twenties in the western parts of Norway. Imagine next to no brakes on these roads, its hard to watch far ahead too.

Regards
                            Sverre
                            This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Thanks for all the great photos Sverre! There's some awesome motorcycle history in Norway that's for sure!

Here's a war time shot from New Brunswick, Canada. It looks like Injuns were the bike of choice in the Maritimes.

Cory Othen
                              Membership#10953

Comment

• Canadian military Chiefs

C.O.,
                                those Chiefs are the same as the French army bought and the Germans later brought from France to Norway during WWII.
                                I just recently found three complete wheels, the gearbox and primary from one of those that still where in a barn in a village close to where I live. The bike was thrown in a local lake (where it still is, they dumped stones ontop) in the mid sixties, sigh!
                                God thing is the wheels are now connected to another Army Chief;
                                http://home.online.no/~344chief/
                                This Chief get used and abused which I find great.

Regards
                                Sverre
                                http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
                                This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

Working...
                                X