Frame repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame repair

I am wondering if anyone knows of someone who can fix a 741 frame?
    I have a non-matching numbers 741 parts pile that I am working on.
    I recently acquired a very nice original Right side Oil/Gas tank.
    (I am still looking for a Left side tank if anyone has one they are willing
    to sell PM me)
    I went out to my parts pile 741 to do a mock up with my newly acquired tank.
    The bolt holes on the tank would not line up with the bolt holes on the frame.
    I knew the frame had been "repaired" perhaps it would have been more accurate to say
    the frame has been "welded" (Caveat Emptor). Anyway I have been lucky enought to find one outfit that can
    do the job but they are located "Down Under" and I quess I'm a little jealous that my
    parts may be doing more traveling and going to nicer places than I will likely ever get to.
    So before I box this thing up and ship it off I thought I'd ask if anyone knows of someone
    in the USA who could do this? Thanks in Advance.

IMG_0358.JPG

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0361.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

Last edited by PaulCDF; 08-04-2023, 06:17 PM.

Pony tanks on scout frame fit like that....says the Harley guy!

Comment

If you need to take the neck apart and refit tubes and braze everything back ,in a jig,and you are paying someone instead of using your own free labour I think you would be better off and probably cheaper to get anew frame section.They are not that rare.
      Are sure its not the tank thats off?
      Tom

Comment

"Pony tanks"?

Duffey; I only have the Right tank, the guy I got it from said it was a 741 and he has been good in the past.
        Additionally it has the "split" front tank mount of the 741:

Right side tank oil and gas 741.JPG

Tom;
        No I'm not sure if it's the tank that is off, seems 741 parts are more difficult to find than those for Chiefs.
        You are right I know on flea bay there is a gent out of Europe/Poland selling repo sections and likely it would be cheaper than having this one shipped around the globe and fixed.
        I don't have a frame jig or the experience to take this one on.
        I don't know how good the fleabay sellers parts are.
        And it's . . .just if I go the repo route then what happens to THIS original front section if I don't step up and right it?

All comes down to abilities and resources. . .I need to think about this; try and find some accurate measurements on 741 frame tank mounting holes and weigh my options.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

I can get some measurements of my 741 if you need it.Alot of the 741s went to australia so maybe contact someone over there for an original.
          I saw frames on ebay and was surprised at the junk and prices.
          Tom

Comment

YES PLEASE TOM! I would appreciate the measurements. Here's another tech draw from Jerry Geer:

741 Frame Jerry Geer.jpeg
            I will check out Australia and New Zealand.

Comment

My brothers '42 sport scout little base racer,came with junior scout or pony scout tanks & they fit like that.
              This pic is with the first set of Yellow spear racing tanks that took me about 12 hours to fit properly.

IMG_8206.JPG

Comment

Beautiful Scout your brother has, Duffey. I'm guessing it's a lot of fun to ride !
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

I never rode it..Sturgis 75th Jim Wall did on the fly adjustments & then did exhibition race with Brittany Olson on Jim's bike.This is built for short track & Jim said it was faster than his bike on that little 1/4 mile track.His bike was built for larger tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
                    YES PLEASE TOM! I would appreciate the measurements. Here's another tech draw from Jerry Geer:

741 Frame Jerry Geer.jpeg
                    I will check out Australia and New Zealand.

The rear tank hole to front top is 21 9/16
                    rear to bottom front 17 7/8
                    top to bottom front is 7 7/8
                    Tom

Comment

Mike at 47Industries in New Jersey did a great job fixing my Harley frame. He does great work, removing tubes and slugging new ones in when needed. Looks completely original too.
                      AMCA #41287
                      1971 Sprint SS350 project
                      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I am sure someone out there has a picture of a reinforced frame at front of section. I am pretty sure I saw a frame once with a reinforcement plate.

Comment

Tom;
                          Thanks for the measurements I really appreciate the help. I need to get over to China Bobs (Harbor Freight) this week and get a longer steel or aluminum ruler and measure my frame tank mounting holes center to center. as well as the center to center mounting holes on my tank.

Mike I will get in contact with 47Industries with my measurements and more pictures Thanks.

TomF yes from what I have found a frame gusset support is a good idea, first I need to see If I need the headcasting is properly placed or needs correction.
                          Here is a frame gusset support picture I "borrowed" off Fb:

Frame Gusset Support.jpg
                          Last edited by PaulCDF; 08-06-2023, 04:42 PM.

Comment

I would research the Jr. Scout tank dimensions, as Duffy said. I also recall the advice of a frame guy who said, "screwing with a neck is the last resort".
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

PaulCDF, Don’t use the guy that welded in that gusset To repair your frame!

Comment

Working...
                              X