X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome, sounds good!

Comment

Took her for a quick spin!!!

Need to keep working carb, seemed to be powerless and when I stopped gas started pouring out the carb throat while running ;-) WTH!!

Also when I pull in the garage and shut it down and closed the petcocks I heard hissing the gas in the right hand tank was bubbling? Heat from the copper gas tubes? Seems bad as the thing was acting like a gas tea pot

Comment

41indian!

About the overflow,
        When installing your fresh float, did you off-set it within the bowl as shown in the manuals?
        And when installing the bowl upon the body, is the valve rotated close to the choke assembly?

It is easiest to determine if the float is hanging up upon the bowlstem by turning the assembled carburetor upside down, and sucking upon the valve.

They can be pesky.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton,

Thank you and yes I offset it and I turned it upside down and "blew" into the port and is seals.

It was weird after a ride up the street I can back and at idle saw it pouring out, engine still running.

BTW any idea what makes the gas Bubble? heat?

I restarted it and it idled fine.

I am not sure what you mean by this?
          "And when installing the bowl upon the body, is the valve rotated close to the choke assembly?"
          Last edited by 41indian; 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

41Indian!

The position of the bowl affects the clearance of the float over the bowlstem. They often hang up at ninety degrees to the body, but have the most clearance with the valve placed close to the choke.
            (The literature I cited previously placed it within a quarter of an inch of the aircleaner flange.)

Back to testing the valve and its position: blowing in it doesn't work.

....Cotten
            PS: "Bumping" or flashing of fuel in a tank directly over a hot motor makes me anxious too. But it is less of an immediate safety concern than running with an overflowing carb.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten,

Thanks again

By the valve position I assume you mean when looking face on to the bike and card is the valve inlet assembly to the left and in lien with the choke? If so the answer is yes as shown in this picture.
              or should I rotate it more toward the choke lever I.e. more forward toward the cleaner flange?

I inverted the bowl off the carb and the float does not hang and holds pressure when blowing into the inlet, are you saying leave it in the normal orientation and suck on that port to pull the float closed?

I assumed heat was the culprit on the gas line but is there a cure?
              Attached Files

Comment

41indian!

It could probably be rotated a bit more (See attachment).

And blowing into a valve nipple just opens it.

With luck, you should feel a tiny pop when you pull your tonque off of it.

....Cotten
                PS: The bare carb in my attachment is an amateurish embarrassment.
                It should be "aluminum lacquer" or other silver paint.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 02-07-2014, 03:35 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Cotten,
                  Thanks for the photo and I'l try it not sure on the physics of why this matters rotationally but I'll try it ;-)

as for the blow and suck I think we are saying the same thing but I inverted the bowl so the needle is closed and the float is holding it closed i/e/ not hanging on the side of the bowl.

Comment

All that matters, 41Indian,..

..is that the valve shuts absolutely.

(Quite often a needle needs to be seated with a whack of a screwdriver handle, but your flood seems beyond that.)

But still, it's suck, not blow.

(I hope I can post that with impunity.)

....Cotten
                    AMCA #776

Comment

I wonder what's up with the gas, never seen that before. The gas tank/ gas should be pretty cool, I think - some thing is not right. Is the tank hot to the touch? Is your oil returning to the tank? Interested to see what you find is causing this, good luck.

Comment

Getting closer.....

Took the carb apart nothing obvious.... holds on suck and blow ;-)

Rotated the bowl toward the choke level on re-install
                        I can get it to idle well and seems ok on snap of the throttle with backed off spark advance.

I put it in gear and no matter how wide open the throttle she was a MOPED!! meaning no acceleration just a slow puttering

I started messing with the power needed and got it a bit better but acceleration is crap I mean nonexistent? very strong exhaust compression(will check with a gauge next week)
                        points at 0.020

started raining so I quit but but I assume I need to keep dinking with the high speed needle or should I lower the float setting? currently at 1/4"

No gas flooding out and not bubbling in the tank this time.

Comment

Working...
                        X