41 441 Police question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 41 441 Police question

My friend and I just picked up a 441 in pieces. Sitting 60 years. 50 together and 10 apart. Totally apart. Thank goodness it is pretty much all there. We believe it to be a former police ordered bike. Questions- Were some police fours ordered emblem delete so they could have their town or city stenciled on them without emblems and strips in the way? What siren would have been supplied for this year four? The rear fender has the siren cut-out. The speedo, after cleaning 60 years of mung off, has a white stenciled "Police" on the back with red speed lock needle. The tool box mounts on the fender where I have seen some police models usually have it.
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Ribbit,Ribbit.... Crickets......
    D. A. Bagin #3166 AKA Panheadzz 440 48chief W/sidecar 57fl 57flh 58fl 66m-50 68flh 70xlh

Comment

Questions- Were some police fours ordered emblem delete so they could have their town or city stenciled on them without emblems and strips in the way?
      Indian added lettering on police tanks with badges, if the badges are gone someone else did it.

What siren would have been supplied for this year four?
      Indian sold sterling sirens in 41, it was also common for sirens and lights to be moved from an older bike to a new bike.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

H-D supplied Police departments with badgeless tanks if requested. My guess is that Indian did so as well.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

A couple of nice 1941 police "prototype"photos in
            Hatfieilds Resto Guide.
            Tom

Comment

Thanks again for the replies. Anyone else want to chime in??

Comment

police fours 1941 42 had no fork lock .. my 1942 had none ,,.

Comment

not all Police Fours had the emblems...someone recently posted that pictures (I believe on FB) - also the fender light on the right bike and some other details like the main stands are very interesting - anybody ever seen a main stand like that?

24131995_1986156828333855_112453290744557402_o.jpg

Comment

Great photo! He was probably getting ready to say "I'll Be Back"!
                    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
                    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gsottl View Post
                      not all Police Fours had the emblems...someone recently posted that pictures (I believe on FB) - also the fender light on the right bike and some other details like the main stands are very interesting - anybody ever seen a main stand like that?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21177[/ATTACH]
                      I've seen a similar stand on the Henderson Deluxe, and KJs. The sidecar loops on a Henderson were in a perfect position for that type of stand.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

Santa Monica, CA officers Bones McClain and Bobby Clark.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I'm kinda tech challenged. Does anyone have a left side pic that clearly shows the siren hookup and linkages on a four from the late 30s or early 40s???

Comment

Can anyone post the photos of the dark blue Indian police bikes in Jerry Hatfield's Indian four book please ? I gave the book back to a guy that has now passed away and I wan't to finish my four like the police bike illustrated in that book.

Comment

I have the book I think you are talking about but I am not seeing the pics you describe
                              “People who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it” ― Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
                              X