A real DLX-113?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob!

I am handicapped when it comes to Fours, as I have never had one in my shop, except on the bench.

This lean angle thing may involve how the bowl is "clocked" upon the body.
    And since there is no detente nub upon the body to catch a notch in the bowl lid, there is side-slop to consider as well.
    (I prefer to rotate the valve as close to the choke thumbtab as possible, after the Linkert fashion.)
    Unless you have the entire carb removed, so that you can suck upon the inlet while the assembly is inverted, the position of the bowl will remain a possible issue.

....Cotten
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I considered that, Tom. Having you mention it gives me more confidence this is possibly at play. Right now the carb is clocked such that the pivot point is just about dead forward, relative to rider position. As you know, I have very little side slop with a 0.001 clearance to the pivot shaft and about 0.005 side clearance to the bowl at the pivot. I've held the bowl in various positions to make sure the float is not dragging. I even dropped the float high 1/16" to 5/16" to give a little more room for the fuel level to stay clear of the top of the bowl.

The fuel running out the filter, which means out the throat of the carb, could this be related to the carb body being distorted and the "smile" under my venturi?

regards,
      Rob
      Regards,
      Rob Sigond
      AMCA # 1811

Comment

No more drooling!!!

Well, it appears I have licked the last piece of the drooling carburetor saga. The last problem was gas spewing out the throat and onto my floorboard via the air cleaner. I figure lean angle was playing a major role, if not the primary role.

So, today I welded a 1-1/2" thick foot extension onto the foot of my repop stand. That did the trick. Took the bike to get inspected, stopped to show it off to a few friends, parked it, started it, parked it, started it... no a dribble, no drool, not a drop of gasoline to be seen.

Here's a pic of my corrective orthopedic shoe on my side stand. Note my pucked floorboard mat from repeates gas soakings.

Here's a pic of the new lean angle with that added shoe.

I'm not done with the stand yet. I swear I can see it flex. So, I'm going to weld a strengthening gusset between the new foot and existing web of the leg.

Thanks for all who helped as I worked thru the issues.

regards,
        Rob
        Regards,
        Rob Sigond
        AMCA # 1811

Comment

I was just reading thru Uncle Franks Q&A from 1937 and in there they list the float settings for the various HD and Indian carbs of the time. The give a Schebler Deluxe float setting as 7/16".

regards,
          Rob
          Regards,
          Rob Sigond
          AMCA # 1811

Comment

Originally posted by Snakeoil View Post
            I was just reading thru Uncle Franks Q&A from 1937 and in there they list the float settings for the various HD and Indian carbs of the time. The give a Schebler Deluxe float setting as 7/16".

regards,
            Rob
            Rob!

The 7/16" setting is for many bronze bowl DLXs, not potmetal models.

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Ah-ha! Thanks, Tom.

regards,
              Rob
              Regards,
              Rob Sigond
              AMCA # 1811

Comment

Working...
              X