Schebler DLX130 float level 1940 Chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
    Has anyone ever encountered an example of a Scheb stamped DLX-BONN, Folks?

I failed to record if these were three or four-line Linkert bodies,

bonstmps.jpg

But the punchmarks indicate they were early, as per Shop Dope #106...

ShopDope 33.jpg
    So we are led to presume that Linkert Bonne's were available contemporarily with the last Scheblers. We might also assume that soon after the problem was diagnosed, they all would produced with a #55 bleed, and the punchmark unnecessary.

This implies that Bonne's could have been installed to Indians as early as '33! If it has a nickle four-line script body, even without a punchmark, we have a winner.

Note also some Beck Linkerts were pre-'40 nickle vintage:

Beck m6stamp nickel.jpg

Without better examples, I'm just conjuring...

......Cotten
    I have that carb on my shelf. What year is it for?

Comment

Originally posted by RonH View Post

I have that carb on my shelf. What year is it for?
      Which 'that' carb are you referring to, Ron?

If you mean the Beck M6, it listed by everyone's favorite ebay hero for 1939-1942 Indian Chiefs, but Tom Powell listed it as for '38 and earlier Chiefs with airhorn, which makes a lot more sense.

And here's an M6 without INDIAN, the two-screw intake, and the very early production casting sprue behind the numbers.
      M6EARLY2.JPG

Note also there were M6s with various suffixes for a variety of other applications.

Can you take good pics for us? Thanks!

....Cotten
      Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-26-2024, 08:29 PM.
      AMCA #776
      Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

Which 'that' carb are you referring to, Ron?

If you mean the Beck M6, it listed by everyone's favorite ebay hero for 1939-1942 Indian Chiefs, but Tom Powell listed it as for '38 and earlier Chiefs with airhorn, which makes a lot more sense.

And here's an M6 without INDIAN, the two-screw intake, and the very early production casting sprue behind the numbers.
        M6EARLY2.JPG

Note also there were M6s with various suffixes for a variety of other applications.

Can you take good pics for us? Thanks!

....Cotten
        The M6 with Indian over it, mine has the 4 holes for the air cleaner.
        Last edited by RonH; 04-27-2024, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RonH View Post

The M6 with Indian over it, mine has the 4 holes for the air cleaner.
          Three or four line script, Ron?

Any residual nickel, or 'aluminum lacquer'?

L&L reconditioned used carbs by the dozens, and re-stamped many; The INDIAN stamp has been associated with the vendor Beck, but I haven't seen any literature to confirm it. It would be foolish to assume there were any firm rules...

....Cotten
          PS: As far as the application of any 'Beck" model, since they were all replacements, none can ever be considered AMCA "correct" for anything!
          Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-28-2024, 10:00 AM.
          AMCA #776

Comment

Hi Cotton,

I believe I may be able to source a NOS throttle shaft here in Australia - will know next week on availability. Otherwise I will make one as suggested. The HS needle does not bottom at the knob although strangely the the bike seems to run too rich unless it is turned out only 5 clicks from the bottom - which is why I thought the seat may be worn? I don't know how to check that. I have the ¼"-40tpi tap and die so I will chase the threads to be sure. There is evidence of previous misalignment although it hasn't blown threw.

I recently purchased a Linkert tool kit with the various special drills. I don't have a reference for the correct drill sizes for cleaning out the passages in a Schebler DLX 130. Some of the drills in the kit may be suitable?

Correction, closer inspection reveals wear in the body at the bottom of throttle shaft disk. dfrb.jpg aergearg.jpg awergae.jpg srth.jpg
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 39ChiefBonnie; 05-01-2024, 08:09 AM.

Comment

erth.jpg srth.jpg srthh.jpg tdyj.jpg

Comment

First, Matt,...

Please take that evil drillbit set and hide it from yourself. They are just about the worst thing you can do to a carb that doesn't need it.

Next, the contact of the needlepoint and seat can be inspected with a 'dry-erase' or other felt-tip marker. (I remedied any misalignment by tapping much deeper into the body, and installing an indexable needle guide bushing with a slightly offset bore, cut from PEEK.)

And '40 was a particularly bad year for leadpest.
                Helicoils, and re-cutting most gasket surfaces, are prudent.

Yep, that's borewear. Normally its greater at the top, but your '40 'friction' spring is on the bottom!

....Cotten
                PS: Your lowspeed lift lever looks a little Linkert; Got a side pic?

LSLEVERS.jpg
                (Schebler on left, Linkert in middle, and 1" Linkert on right.)

PPS: I'd LOVE to have a genuine L&L drill kit, Folks!
                LINKTULS.jpg
                But it would be for reference and display only.
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-01-2024, 02:00 PM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                X