No announcement yet.

1940 Chief 340 - Front Fender Light Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for posting the fender light mounting dimensions, Joe. I've looked at vintage, and current pictures, and done mock-ups until I was seeing double. I believe your dimension is correct for a Scout, so I drilled the first hole at 10.44". Due to the different fork configuration, I believe the Scout profile was different than the Chief and Indian made an aesthetic judgement to move the fender light back a bit. Thanks for your input, Joe.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Tried to post a picture but the forum rejects it.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

This is the error message I get when I try to upload an attachment:

"Upload failed due to failure writing temporary file."

Now that's some doubletalk
        Eric Smith
        AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,

I’m getting the same error messages, it’s not recognizing the picture files for some reason.

Glad it helped.

Joe

Comment

Joe, it turns out the picture I was trying to post was too big so I resized it. Again, thank you for the dimension and here's the picture.

julyscout1a.jpg
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Eric,

looking good!

I resized my photos too, here they are

E4778713-3399-49BD-9E79-0547B6C8EF95.jpeg4EDC448F-500A-4813-89B4-53C8246B253E.jpeg

3FFD381B-3C2E-497D-9118-F2283F94FBE9.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by rms337 View Post

I will check this weekend.
                Eric,

I know you and others are way past this, so I apologize for the weekend taking 4 months! I was on a bit of a hiatus. I still wanted to post what I had in the event anyone needed this info in the future. I took some tape to my '41 and '42, cut out the holes and then laid them side by side. Almost exact except for the top hole on the Chief was a bit higher. My measurements were from bottom edge to center of the holes. From the bottom up, my centers were at 9-1/8, 11-1/16 and 14-1/16. See pics below.

IMG_3377.JPEGIMG_3378.JPEGIMG_3383.JPEGIMG_3384.JPEG

Comment

Thank you, Rick. I think the difference of fender mounting location for Chief, and Four opposed to the Sport Scout is due to the leaf springs on the big bikes. The S.S. had more open real estate and no protruding leaf spring so I think Indian made the decision to move the fender light back on the S.S. to balance the profile. That was very generous of you to take the time, and make the effort to document those dimensions.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                  X