1940 Chief 340 - Front Fender Light Location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1940 Chief 340 - Front Fender Light Location

What is the correct location for the front fender light on a 1940 Chief? How far is the first hole located from the tip? Thank you.

My 41 Four is 9 inches if that is of any help
    “People who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it” ― Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have a 1940 front fender and the first hole is 9 1/8" from the front of the fender to the center of the hole.

Comment

The most important mounting tip I can give for both H-D and Indian is that the lamp top line was parallel to the road surface on all models regardless of fender dimensions.
        1941 chief.jpg
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

As you likely know Kiwi Indian has a Tech video on front fender install. It is for 46 and later but may have some value. Light placement starts ~ minute 9.

Comment

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Reviving this topic, I'm at the point of mounting a fender light to my '41 Sport Scout. I think the 9.0" - 9.13" dim. is good so I'll go with 9.06" and split the difference. As, Robbie said; Indian, and H-D wanted the top line of that fender light to be parallel to the ground but that is hard to judge with a reproduction fender, and light. I'll mark that dimension on the fender, and see how it looks with the light balanced at that location. Thanks to the members that provided their in-put. That is what makes the AMCA so good.
              Eric Smith
              AMCA #886

Comment

At times I find for mock-up purposes something like poster putty works well to temporarily hold things in place so one can step back and 'eyeball' things.

Comment

Paul: What is "poster putty"? Sounds interesting. Thanks.
                  Dave

Comment

At Walmart:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/96-PCS-Ad...Pink/280178565

"Product details

[Super sticky and reusable] The sticky putty is made of non-toxic materials with strong adhesion. Attach good things and keep them in the correct position. No marks or stains are left on the surface.
                    [Multi-purpose] Sticky sticky sticky sticky putty is very suitable for hanging pictures, posters, notes, decorations, memos, children's art, party decorations. Not suitable for glass or fragile items. A perfect tool to repair your art crafts or nail art. Get rid of the holes in your clean wall. Stimulate your imagination and creativity, just want to use it.
                    [Application] Installation putty is suitable for most surfaces, such as wood, tiles, metal, plaster, plastic, and porcelain. .
                    [Easy to use and remove] How to use --- Take a small piece of putty and rub it on your palm to make it soft and sticky, then put it on the back of the object and press firmly on a clean and dry surface. How to remove it - just roll it off the surface.

size:15x9cm
                    Material:Clay
                    colour:Pink"

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      Reviving this topic, I'm at the point of mounting a fender light to my '41 Sport Scout. I think the 9.0" - 9.13" dim. is good so I'll go with 9.06" and split the difference. As, Robbie said; Indian, and H-D wanted the top line of that fender light to be parallel to the ground but that is hard to judge with a reproduction fender, and light. I'll mark that dimension on the fender, and see how it looks with the light balanced at that location. Thanks to the members that provided their in-put. That is what makes the AMCA so good.
                      Eric…I have both my 41 Four and my 42 Chief fenders down to bare metal. I’d be willing to roll out some paper and charcoal and create a template for you if you have any interest. Or I could just measure and see what mine are.

Comment

Thanks, Rick, I would appreciate the dimension from front edge of your fenders, to the first fender light mounting hole. I'm going to use a reproduction light, but I do have a genuine Indian fender light that need work on the base, and re-chromed. Just not in the mood to deal with platers right now
                        Eric Smith
                        AMCA #886

Comment

Eric
                          I’m having problems uploading pictures (again) but I measured on my fathers 41 Sport Scout and I’m getting 10 3/8 to 10 1/2” from the center of the first mounting hole to the tip of the fender. This bike was done in the 50’s so I gotta think original fender and light. I’ll try later to post the pictures.
                          Joe

Comment

Paul, thanks for the info on the poster putty. Will check it out. Possibly craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's might carry it also. I have a 1940 Indian 4 in my shop. Fender light first hole is 9 1/8 inches from fender tip to center of hole.
                            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                              Thanks, Rick, I would appreciate the dimension from front edge of your fenders, to the first fender light mounting hole. I'm going to use a reproduction light, but I do have a genuine Indian fender light that need work on the base, and re-chromed. Just not in the mood to deal with platers right now
                              I will check this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X