M74 carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may buy where ever you wish.
    I am just suggesting placing a Want Ad in the forum and the Club magazine as both are read by old bike enthusiasts like ourselves.
    Someone may have a M74 carburetor for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulCDF View Post
      You may buy where ever you wish.
      I am just suggesting placing a Want Ad in the forum and the Club magazine as both are read by old bike enthusiasts like ourselves.
      Someone may have a M74 carburetor for sale.
      That's a great idea. Thank you.

Comment

Are the Colony or reproduction intakes decent? They look pretty convincing in pics.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Dablaze View Post
          Are the Colony or reproduction intakes decent? They look pretty convincing in pics.

Craig
          I don't understand.

Comment

As Tom said, the intake manifolds for the Linkert can be a real pain. Often they have been polished out of shape, damaged and/or hard to find a decent one. Probably other issues I don’t even know about. There are different widths for a 61” or a 74” if you are running the early plumber style intake manifold. I have one but it was dechromed and the polishing before chroming made it so it won’t seal.

craig

Comment

We need to know the vintage of your cylinderheads, Freeman...

There were two basic designs: The 1948-1954 compression ferrule design (often called "plumber's-style"), and the 1955-1965 O-ring design. Clear photos of your motor would answer many questions.

And I de-chrome and refit worn plumbers' manifolds routinely, Craig!
              (Although it costs extra blasting time.) Worn spigots are swaged to shape and re-cut true and round, before seals are custom-cut to a perfect fit.

I have come to find the "different widths" dogma highly suspicious.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
                We need to know the vintage of your cylinderheads, Freeman...

There were two basic designs: The 1948-1954 compression ferrule design (often called "plumber's-style"), and the 1955-1965 O-ring design. Clear photos of your motor would answer many questions.

And I de-chrome and refit worn plumbers' manifolds routinely, Craig!
                (Although it costs extra blasting time.) Worn spigots are swaged to shape and re-cut true and round, before seals are custom-cut to a perfect fit.

I have come to find the "different widths" dogma highly suspicious.

....Cotten
                Cotten I disagree with the 'different widths' dogma. I do not think HD had different widths between 61 and 74. Parts books do not show a difference either.

Jerry
                Last edited by Jerry Wieland; 11-04-2021, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Wieland View Post

Cotten I agree with the 'different widths' dogma. I do not think HD had different widths between 61 and 74. Parts books do not show a difference either.

Jerry
                  I hope, Jerry, ..

You meant we both disagree with the dogma. Manifold myths don't stop there, but that deserves a separate thread!

I look forward to Freeman's photos, so we all can help him sort out his needs.

....Cotten
                  AMCA #776

Comment

The difference between EL and FL would rest entirely with a function of the difference in cylinder height, which is .125" (5.33" - 5.205"). A triangle can be found with the angle at 22.5°, the hypotenuse is .125", and the side opposite is the added width (per side).
                    Looks like the extra width is only .048" per side (.096" total), is this within the range of seal placement?
                    The Linkert Book

Comment

Originally posted by kitabel View Post
                      The difference between EL and FL would rest entirely with a function of the difference in cylinder height, which is .125" (5.33" - 5.205"). A triangle can be found with the angle at 22.5°, the hypotenuse is .125", and the side opposite is the added width (per side).
                      Looks like the extra width is only .048" per side (.096" total), is this within the range of seal placement?
                      Good question for a manifold myth thread, Kitabel!

But let us see from Freeman's photos what he needs, as it may be O-ring design.

....Cotten
                      AMCA #776

Comment

My panhead is not original, it is newly assembled, the crankcase is S & S and the cylinder is 74ci. The first thing to do tomorrow morning is to take pictures. Thank you for your communication.

Comment

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                          This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Found a photo from that time.

Comment

It appears, Freeman,...

You have modern aftermarket heads that accept a Shovelhead manifold.

Even if you fabricated a custom manifold to accept a bronze Linkert, it would interfere with your knee.

You could install a 1966 Linkert DC7 Model and manifold, but it would be hard to justify the effort and expense.

.....Cotten
                              Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-05-2021, 12:01 PM.
                              AMCA #776

Comment

The math above only covers "T" shaped intake manifolds.
                                I wrote an Excel spreadsheet that automatically calculates the width change (in std. and metric), For use on Indian engines, change the angle to 21°.
                                PM me for a free copy.

For the "V" manifolds (shovel, 45, UL, Sportster, Indian, K) a second calculation is needed for the manifold angle, still working on it
                                Last edited by kitabel; 11-05-2021, 04:55 PM.
                                The Linkert Book

Comment

Working...
                                X