Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starklite
    replied
    I've been staying out of the judging discussion and just watching what has evolved.

My question now is:
    Why doesn't the AMCA have two levels of judging.
    1. The current/old system of bikes competing against themselves

2. Pleasure Class -
    Let's say I just spent $25,000 restoring a Indian or Harley and it's not 100% correct, heck it's not even 90%, but I want to show it because it looks awesome, has a decked out paint and chrome job and everybody who sees the bike say's WOW! that's some bike.

But with today's judging I have no reason to take it to a AMCA meet and it stays in the garage to be taken to a local bike show where it wins 1st place. And now we, the AMCA, miss seeing these bikes.

Why don't we have a national awards for these bikes? What's wrong with a BEST OF SHOW?, and a National Show series system of points?

Can't this bring more interest and people into the sport, they are still antique bikes and isn't that what the club is about?

At the "Bator International" auction in Pasadena this past weekend I spoke to several people, builders and collectors, and they either tell clients or the clients say they don't have their bikes judged because they are happy with the bike/work of the builder and don't need someone to tell them it's 99 points to be happy with the work.

And with the new judging disclaimer you can't even use a 99 point award to advertise it for sale! So what's the point?

We need to make the meets, and judging FUN

And yes there still is a place for the current judging system, but not everyone is interested in that level. Let's get a fun "Pleasure" class started

And in the Pleasure class you can sub define Bikes ridden to the meet from the trailer queens. We need members to enjoy the bikes and ride them. Without people enjoying the bikes, the club will die, because all the bikes will become museum pieces.

Thanks for listening.

Gary Stark
    Starklite Cycle
    951-968-3070
    888-SLC-INDIAN

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    replied
    Originally posted by Sargehere View Post
    We haven't judged bikes "against each other" since the 1980s, Tom. Then, it meant that the bike in question was a winner of a nebulous title of "Best Restored," but only at the particular gathering where the trophy was won, meaning that this motorcycles appeared to be more like it originally was built than the other motorcycles there, and was completely subjective, without regard for being over-chromed, over-dressed, or nothing like stock in many regards.
    It might as well have been a "People's Choice" award for prettiest bike at the meet," for all the meaning it carried.
    Sarge!

Again I appreciate your reply, and I shortened your quote to the parts that scare me most.

Too often I see the word "competition" in my handbook, totally aside from the "Competition" class.

I smell a dead horse.

....Cotten

Leave a comment:

• Sargehere
    replied
    The "Winners' Circle" bikes have won recognition as being reliably representative of that particular make and model motorcycle as it appeared when offered for sale for the first time, in the year it was manufactured. It means future restorers, or students of the development of two-wheeled motorized transportation, can count on a Winners' Circle bike to be correct in all its details, faithful to what it looked and ran like when brand new.

We haven't judged bikes "against each other" since the 1980s, Tom. Then, it meant that the bike in question was a winner of a nebulous title of "Best Restored," but only at the particular gathering where the trophy was won, meaning that this motorcycle appeared to be more like it originally was built than the other motorcycles there, and the award was completely subjective, without regard for being over-chromed, over-dressed, or nothing like stock in many regards.
    It might as well have been a "People's Choice" award for "the prettiest bike at the meet," for all the meaning it carried.
    Last edited by Sargehere; 06-05-2010, 10:34 PM. Reason: corrected typos

Leave a comment:

• Rooster
    replied
    They beat the crap out of your wallet!

Leave a comment:

• Ohio-Rider
    replied
    They beat the odds.

Leave a comment:

• T. Cotten
    started a topic Judging System Question?

Judging System Question?

Dear AMCA Members!

I have been trying to understand my Judging Handbook copy,
    Although I know it is out-dated,
    I still I must ask:

When a machine makes it into the "Winners Circle"...
    Who did they beat to be a "winner"?

With all due respect and sincerity,

...Cotten
Working...
X