X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pedal components…

BD9A8AF5-A17E-4CF4-849B-2848F822C5CC.jpeg

Painted and assembled…

F9967D60-08B8-4757-90E3-95D560531E62.jpeg 7236D9A6-3B6A-474A-9931-BDB91F91252F.jpeg
    I cheated a little, tried to squash the pin (ok, I had a mail) for the flip up part of the lever in back and couldn’t work out how to do it without f’ing up the paint so I used a cotter pin instead. It’s not really stressed so it should work fine.

Comment

• Fitting up the rear crash bars….

IMG_8571.jpeg IMG_8572.jpeg

A coat of paint and some new hardware and that’ll be done.

Comment

• Finished up the rear crash bars

IMG_8647.jpeg

And started fitting the front brake lever and cable. I added an extra clamp on the forks…

IMG_8687.jpeg IMG_8688.jpeg IMG_8689.jpeg

to be continued

Comment

• There should be hole in front of grease fitting on right side of lower triple tree that a clamp and screw goes.

Comment

• Tom,
            You are correct, was wondering what that threaded hole was for. I found it hard to get a regular screw in there, the fork body right in front of it, so I opted for a socket head and used a ball end driver.

IMG_9597.jpeg

Yeah, the cable guide plastic , but not going for judging so it’ll do.

Took too long of a break on this project but I’m back at it, a few things to do and I’ll have it off the stand and out of the basement this weekend, my buddy has some time to do the exhaust for me and with any luck it’ll be done by Oley…

Comment

• When I put the seat on I only used a front seat yoke from 36-37? Chief and attached the springs directly to the studs on the seat pan. Thinking more on it I don’t like those threaded seat studs acting alone, wiggling around probably shear them out of the pan after some time. So I decided to use the whole seat bracket and distribute the load properly.

IMG_9604.jpeg IMG_9598.jpeg

IMG_9599.jpeg IMG_9600.jpeg

Yeah, I know it should have the barrel springs, but these are the springs my father had on it so use them I will (in my best Yoda voice)

Comment

• On to the fuel line, I like to put an inline filter on my old bikes and will do the same here. I cleaned up the original fuel line and started massaging it to fit. Also, I’m using some ball valve petcocks for easier operation, but my friend who used them on his bike said the threads on them were a little shorter then original so the nuts gotta be filed down a little to insure they snug up.

IMG_9624.jpeg IMG_9625.jpeg

I like the glass style filters

IMG_9628.jpeg IMG_9629.jpeg

I’m pretty happy with that,

Comment

• You won’t really notice the filter when the air cleaner is on anyway

IMG_9631.jpeg ​​​​​​ IMG_9632.jpeg

IMG_9630.jpeg

I’ll go back and put some clamps on the hoses and that bit will be done.

Next up the control cables and guides.

Comment

• Fantastic pictures, and comments, Joe. Actually, I enjoy plumbing my bikes, but I think for a rider (like a '41SS) rubber tubing, and a fuel filter is the way to go, so I'll copy your examples. Thanks for the pictures, and text.
                    Eric Smith
                    AMCA #886

Comment

• Moved on to the handlebar control cables, gotta put the little clips on the outer cables where they exit the bars to hold them in place

IMG_9652.jpeg

One each for the throttle and advance cables. The throttle cable has another guide off one of the cylinder head bolts

IMG_9651.jpeg

There is a guide for the advance cable that is held by the top motor mount bolt

IMG_9653.jpeg

The grips turn and the cables move in the right direction, so must’ve done it right.

IMG_9650.jpeg

Next up is the oil lines (can you tell which one I cleaned?)

Comment

• Cleaned the other oil lines and checked the fit

IMG_9665.jpeg IMG_9663.jpeg IMG_9664.jpeg

Looks good taking them off for a coat of paint. The exhaust header in the picture was on the bike but is rusted out and shot, I only stuck it on to check clearance of the lines.

Next up is taking the bike off the stand and getting it on two wheels in anticipation of getting it out of the basement this weekend.

Comment

• Started taking some parts off that’ll make it easier to get up my basement such as the headlight and fork shield ( to give me someplace to attach my rope to cause I tow it up ), and the foot boards and front crash bar for clearance ( it’s gotta go through two doors). I don’t really want to remove the handlebars like I did on my Scout racer, there are more wires and cables on this Scout, hopefully I can take the bolts out and rotate them in line with the bike to give me the clearance.

Anyway, first things first gotta get it off the work stand.

IMG_9667.jpeg IMG_9668.jpeg

I have a convenient beam that I wrapped some chain around as an anchor for my el cheapo Harbor Freight hoist. 500 pound capacity, I think we’ll be fine.

IMG_9669.jpeg

Well, she’s airborne….

IMG_9670.jpeg

And down on the ground she goes. First time on two wheels in 3 years! Still got a bunch to do but I’m happy where it’s at, happier when it’s out of the house finally.

Comment

• It is amazing the balance of bike at seat pivot.

Comment

• Congratulations, Joe. It looks great sitting on it's tires, and your Sport Scout has that beautiful profile that we always hope for during the building process. You've got to be feeling pretty good with the results of your hard work.
                              Eric Smith
                              AMCA #886

Comment

• Bravo Joe~~always a great feeling to get it off the lift, and on its own power. Can't wait to hear it blast all those cobwebs off going down the road.

*M.A.D.*

Comment

Working...
                                X