No announcement yet.

Dads Sport Scout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I ran into a snag lat night, thought I'd just button up the outer primary cover and move on but noooooo...not so fast. After messing around with getting the right hardware and modifying screws for length (1/4-28x2 5/8 hex head screws...c'mon man) I put the new gasket on, primary chain adjuster in, just put the cover on and...something wrong here, the clutch worm too short...wtf? How can that be? Well, it doesn't matter how it happened (I had a couple of worms on my shelf, I must of picked the wrong one), the too short worm has gotta come out, so off with the cover and the spring plate and pressure plate. Not a big deal, but a pain in the neck.

IMG_0700.jpgIMG_0701.jpg

Yep, I put the shorter worm from the pre 1940 Sport Scouts in, the worm nut on the 741 case is longer so that shorter one is ng, the later model worm is about 1/4" longer.

IMG_0707.jpgIMG_0708.jpgIMG_0702.jpg

Drawing credit to Jerry Greer....

Comment

After a little wire brush action the longer worm went in and the clutch buttoned up and finally the primary side done.

IMG_0703.jpgIMG_0704.jpgIMG_0705.jpgIMG_0712.jpg

Now I can move to the timing side.

Comment

Quick one today, cleaned and installed the pinion gear....

IMG_0723.jpgIMG_0724.jpg

Comment

FLFD7, Your posts are beyond helpful, and appreciated as I am going to be picking up a 1941 Sport Scout in the next week. I came across this bike many years ago, but referred it to a friend who bought it. He's move on to other things and lost interest and offered it back to me (at his profit) but still a good deal. Thanks for your great pictures, and very informative text.
          Eric Smith
          AMCA #886

Comment

No problem Eric, happy to do it. The pictures are my reference too, each ones worth a thousand words right? You gotta post some pictures of your Scout too.
            Joe

Comment

...I'm just trying to hit the "like" button when I remember to do it, but definitely following your progress and lovin' it...thanks!
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I'll do that, Joe. I'm looking forward to laying it all out on the floor to see what's there, which will determine what I'll be looking for at Wauseon
                Eric Smith
                AMCA #886

Comment

Gonna close up the timing cover but just wanted to point a few things out. This bike running Bonneville cams and lifters. Only the exhaust lifter is different, it’s a little shorter, as seen in the below picture along with the fatter looking Bonneville cam vs the pointier standard cam:

D506663C-293A-49E6-8712-23C82E54BF78.jpeg7D3D084C-EF43-43D1-923D-1A54E5368EE9.jpeg

Lifters in, cams in, line up the timing marks and we looking good.

D234476D-3A20-44A8-A24F-A7BE8A471263.jpegC98F1922-4A06-4AF1-85BA-CBCD922FF4AA.jpegBE471870-DDEB-492F-9DB4-4CD5D099AD65.jpeg

Ok, ready for the cover.

Comment

The cover is of course filthy. Yuck....

307448B0-42EC-4B3F-850B-D78149CF0006.jpeg9C564B91-7E28-4EE3-8FC3-3B199E687EC5.jpeg

Nothing a little lacquer thinner and elbow grease won’t fix. Didn’t take any pictures but the brand new gasket needed some modifications to fit. Throw some oil on the gears and cams and cover slipped on along with the oil pump gear.

390BC6B3-8962-4936-B1D4-BBB4E33C3998.jpeg976EC9BC-9785-4D64-9755-DC6FDB05D8E3.jpeg

It’s all ready for the oil pump...

Comment

• I'm not sure what I am seeing with the cams - does one lobe work both the intake and exhaust valve???
                      AMCA #41287
                      1971 Sprint SS350 project
                      1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                      1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                      1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                      96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                      2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                      plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

• Yes, one cam and two followers per cylinder.

Comment

• Wow, it must have been fun to be an engineer back then and working out cam timing with just follower dimensions.
                          AMCA #41287
                          1971 Sprint SS350 project
                          1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                          1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                          1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                          96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                          2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                          plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

• They must have been experienced in it in Springfield cause Chiefs and Scouts had the same setup from the 20s thru 1953. I know there were some racing cams made with two thinner cam lobes on the same shaft with different profiles for intake and exhaust. I remember doing cam design in engineering school, but that was 30 something years ago!

Comment

• What a great story. I can't wait to see the last build notes. Kudos to you for doing this.

Comment

• Thanks man, np.

OK, moving on, gonna clean up the oil pump and install, pretty straight forward.

IMG_0781.jpgIMG_0782.jpgIMG_0789.jpg

yuck....took a couple nights of cleaning w/ rags, q-tips and lacquer thinner but I got it ready for paint....

IMG_0836.jpgIMG_0838.jpg

You know the old adage about measuring twice and cutting once, basically pay attention, well I ran out of spray paint while doing the pump body (thought there was enough), but I had another can of Rustoleum high-temp silver so I finished up with that but instead of the nice dull silver I had been getting this was a real bright metal flakey silver....wtf...sure enough read the back of the can and the original was "high temp silver" and the other can was"silver"....both high temperature paint mind you, but 2 differnet shades of silver....ugh. Another trip to the Home Depot and wait 48 hours to recoat with the proper color, lesson learned.

Cleaned up the hardware, got new gaskets and lead washers and I'll get it on the motor probably tonight. Then it's on to the cylinders.

Comment

Working...
                                X