Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha! Not likely.

Comment

So to wrap up the piston saga I wanted to check the ring gap of my brand new 70 something year old .020 rings, and they did not disappoint.

F0D9C7AE-EB25-40DD-AD53-C794E4F9B3F9.jpegF529D576-8322-41B7-8022-CE3508157F9A.jpeg1C8678AD-3953-46AE-8F6D-9881E577381A.jpeg

The manual says .012 to .018 and I was getting .016 so I’m happy about that. For comparison here is one of the rings that was in the bike...

ACF9D577-07FC-48FB-9B40-CF01C147C595.jpeg

Yeah, wow, I stopped measuring at .100!!??!!
      and yet that’s how he rode it...smh

Same story with the oil ring, I put the new one and the old one in the cylinder for comparison

79F281F0-C503-4FC1-AC96-C794BF7A0697.jpeg

looking a lot better now.

Comment

Lastly the ring groove clearance supposed to be about .003 and that was just what I was getting

C497401A-8DF6-4C9A-B090-B9089F8A06AE.jpeg41810365-9A20-4041-B8CF-E313BF38DC62.jpeg

Wrist pins and some new “E” clips (I hate the “G” clips that were being used) and I’m all set in the piston department

FB9F99CC-6882-4638-812F-8F4693E658DD.jpeg

Making progress.
        I’ve come to the realization that this bike is not going to be out and running by Father’s Day, sometimes other things got to take priority. But that was just a goal, and goals can be pushed back. It’ll be done this summer though, probably by the end of July. That’s more realistic.

Comment

Hey, just a quick post today. Getting ready to put the bottom end back together, gave the cases one last cleaning

IMG_0412.jpgIMG_0413.jpg

That's as clean as I can get them, good nuff. Also did a lo-tech repair to the left hand case, someone previous must have used too long a screw in the lower inner primary hole, raising a bump on the inside of the case. I don't think it broke thru, but just to be on the safe side I put a little JB weld on it to keep the oil inside the case and not dribbling out the screw hole.

IMG_0414.jpg

This week I hope to get the flywheels back in and the motor plates and trans buttoned up.

Comment

Ok, lets get this party started.....

IMG_0439.jpgIMG_0441.jpgIMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0446.jpgIMG_0447.jpg

Now where'd I put that Yamabond......

Comment

Ok, found the Yamabond....I’ve never used it before, so looking on line I saw thin layer on one side of the case, both sides of the case, didn’t know what method to use but the Indian factory manual said to put a thin layer of shellac or Permatex on the left hand case, so I just substituted the Yamabond for the shellac and away we go...

9F8E8351-EACA-4542-AB62-79A3ACBF7C65.jpeg

I think this will be fine. Fitted on the right hand case and motor plates and it’s starting to look like something.

2E99BD2E-B325-4DD3-BD8A-231ADEC6476F.jpeg7CD42775-AEA9-4D67-96BC-B16DF597BF68.jpeg
              7AD14072-184F-4520-AAB7-59E5EE909345.jpeg

Next up the inner primary....

Comment

Of course, nothing is easy. I got the inner primary which I hadn’t touched since disassembly and gave it a good cleaning. The better and better it looked, the worse it got. Discovered a bunch of cracks, the one that bothered me most is right on the flange where the drive sprocket comes thru.

E4DE5367-6CFD-4BCE-8B4E-60C5C5D9E97B.jpeg8FA79019-E1D1-4187-9F30-46490F834F6E.jpeg2AB660F4-1F84-4EB0-8E54-87B2D4AD3287.jpeg
                I mean I guess it could be usable, but I’m not happy with it. I guess I could get the cracks repaired, but I’m only 3 weeks out from my original completion date, and I know I’m not going to make that but I don’t want to keep dragging it out. Another thing I didn’t like is the bearing didn’t seem right to me, kept jamming up like there is something stuck in it. I cleaned it several times and oiled it but it still would occasionally get stuck. Unfortunately I didn’t have another inner primary I could use, but digging through my stuff I did find this.

84709E78-E2A0-4EFE-841B-CEE653D63F71.jpegAECF695A-AA3A-4571-8BE6-9B33AE4F16D3.jpeg

A set of 741 primary cases, in real good shape. Hey, I know it’s not original to the bike but I’m going to use them. The only difference from the Sport Scout primary is these cases don’t have the window and cover for mounting the magneto drive. I wasn’t going to use that feature anyway, so they good enough.

Comment

So I decided to test fit the 741 inner primary on my motor, took a lot of fiddling around, some fine file and sandpaper action to where I thought it would go on without any struggles. I thought I was happy with it but on the last (I thought) trial the inner wouldn’t come off the transmission. The inner locates on the bushing for the cluster gear shaft and also a locating pin on the top of the transmission case. There is another pin that locates it, but the pin is actually the end of the shaft that hold the gear selector in the trans. That is a blind hole and is meant to keep that shaft from coming out of the trans case. Well, the end of this shaft was stuck in the inner primary and as I whacked the inner off the case with a small rawhide mallet it pulled the shaft like an inch outside the transmission. Great.
                  it isn’t a simple matter of pushing the shaft back in as there is a ball and spring keeping tension on the gear selector and since the shaft was pulled out of its hole on the sprocket side of the trans there was no way to oust it back in. The ball and spring would have to come out, and it’s location on the front of the trans case meant it’s easiest to take that out when the trans isn’t mounted on the engine plates. So off it came, ball and spring removed, slider gear removed, shaft put back in place, everything put back together. Quite the pain. Since I had (reluctantly) removed the trans I figured easier to fit the inner to just the trans, so that’s what I did.

B76D0AAB-A166-4A76-9BD8-95A77AB8806B.jpeg

Once I was happy with the fit I put everything back to the way it was. I put the 741 inner on and am happy with it (don’t pay attention to the screws in the photos, they are temporary until I get the right ones).

2D9DC6B9-D418-4673-A237-F9BF1E6C9C79.jpeg80E3812B-04B2-49C5-8100-8DFADF4ABAE2.jpegE7D0BC40-D80C-4310-B8E6-300B6ED75803.jpeg

I had to do a little more hand fitting around the drive sprocket hole to make sure it wasn’t rubbing, but everything fits good now. While I’m waiting for the right screws I’ll get the transmission main shaft and clutch hub and basket sorted out. These have to be assembled on the inner cover bearing and then as a unit attached to the motor and transmission.

Comment

So for both the Sport Scout and 741 the inner and outer clutch hub and the transmission main shaft are assembled thru the bearing on the inner primary, and the inner primary is mated up to the engine and trans.

IMG_0551.jpg

got the parts laid out so ready to go. Some time ago at some meet I don't remember I picked up this tool to hold the outer clutch hub when tightening the nut on the back, real handy and better then the big screwdriver I used to use...

IMG_0553.jpgIMG_0558.jpg

I used a different washer behind the clutch hub nut, it has a tab that fits in a groove on the clutch hub thread, and then after tightening the nut an edge gets folded up to keep the nut from rotating. The original washer (seen at about 2 o'clock in the first picture) is so thick that I found it impossible to bend up after the nut was tightened. I took the nut off and tried to pre bend the washer a bit to give me a fighting chance, but of course then the nut can't be tightened down all the way and I had to flatten it out again and I noticed it was already starting to crack at the bend line. When I bent the original flat it snapped off along the bend line as can be seen in the picture. My friend Jules had given me years ago these bearing nut lock washers that had little tabs that could be more easily bent. I had to break some off to give the wrench some room to tighten the nut but in the end I had quite a few tabs that I can bend up and do the job. You can see it in the third picture.

IMG_0556.jpgIMG_0557.jpg

next the inner clutch hub goes on the taper of the main shaft and that's that.

Comment

Next up is mounting the inner primary. On a Sport Scout the way I've done it before is to get the master link in the chain after its wrapped around the "clutch gear" as Indian calls it, then putting the engine drive gear in the chain put everything as a unit on the engine and trans. The master link on this primary chain was originally held in with a plate and two little cotter pins, but the cotter pins were missing when I took everything apart, so I went with a master link with a clip.

IMG_0589.jpgIMG_0591.jpg

The transmission main shaft that had been in there the previous photos was only there to keep the thrust washer on the sprocket gear in place. I tilted the engine on its side to keep that washer in place and make the installation of the inner primary easier.

IMG_0590.jpg

Surprisingly everything slipped together smoothly, a minimum of wiggling the "clutch gear" around to get the drive gear keyway lined up. Five 1/4-20 screws in the trans case and one in the engine and we set.

IMG_0595.jpgIMG_0598.jpg

Comment

Continuing on let’s get the clutch back together, first clean up the components a bit

458E1691-BAC9-49A6-84EF-48C213A65806.jpeg47C6FB95-472D-4439-98DE-E949E290B3F6.jpeg

Notice on the fiber (or fibre) discs the radiating lines, they are on all of them, they look intentionally scored on there by the previous builder. The picture shows the modified disc vs a normal disc. Other then the score marks the discs are fine, so I’ll use them, the builder must of had a reason to do that, maybe to get the plates to release better? Don’t know.

F64191F9-0144-4385-8ABB-F67B872BD274.jpeg

Comment

A3F6E96F-DDCC-4996-938E-FA015BD254F0.jpegD351A134-5B80-4BA3-B734-517EB2A7E9CB.jpeg

So we put the discs in proper order followed by the clutch worm, throw out bearing and pressure plate, then the spring plate using a special Indian clutch spring compressor tool. The manual calls for 12 clutch springs but up to 16 can be used if required and this bike had all 16 so that’s what I’ll use. I bought new nuts and bendable washers, when I took the clutch apart the nuts were all buggered up and the washers weren’t bent over at all.

C32811D4-F089-4AFF-85C5-A37CAE9A28E4.jpeg6A68369F-4037-46D6-AED6-460B0D626EFD.jpeg8F722A1D-1A74-468E-ADF5-E63F7BC11916.jpeg

bend the washers properly and clutch is all set.

Comment

A little before and after

47380447-85C1-49AF-A401-C66F2F6A4A66.jpeg ​​​​​​ A4A011AE-CAD3-444A-882B-858C9904F473.jpeg

Comment

Hey,

I haven't posted in a while but am making progress, buttoning up the primary and moving on to the timing side. I have been curious if there were any pictures of my father with this bike, he never believed in taking print photos but instead took 35mm slides. These are of course a pain to look at with the projector and the screen and bulbs blowing out etc, so I haven't seen any pictures from that era in 20 plus years. I recently bought a scanner that will let me get the slides onto my computer, but haven't used it much. Yesterday being Fathers Day I was over his house and started going thru some of the boxes of slides and his index cards of what he had and I saw one box that had slides from 1969 that was labeled "motorcycle riding" so I was on to something. Got them home last night and sure enough from August of 1969 I found these...

1969 0869 03 motorcycles.JPG

The scanner is not the best quality and the original pictures not great and I'm sure the image has degraded over the last 52 years but there it is, the circus bike. In the above picture my father is on a Chief chopper he built for my uncle, and my uncle is on the bike I'm working on now. One of my brothers is looking on. Also in there is a fantastic picture of my father on the bike....

1969 0869 02 motorcycles.JPG

Ruined by one of us kids. Hey, it was the summer of 69, you know Woodstock and all that...we were just some young wanna be hippies. Shame about the picture though. There were about 20 other pictures from the same day, almost all of them with my father on the Chief chopper. There was one other picture of the bike

1969 0869 01 motorcycles.JPG

So there it is 52 years ago. I'm going to have to dig deeper to see if he has any slides from when he first bought the bike. The search continues.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Great pictures from the slides.

Comment

Working...
                                X