Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1939 EL build (Yes I know, "Not another Knucklehead..")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rivet

Maxglass,
    When you drill the countersink leave the shoulder of the rivet above the bore so the tool won't hammer the bracket.
    It's not from a catalog but it works with a little pratice and rivets are fairly cheap. I actually hit mine with the driver a little more than it shows in the picture posted because I wanted them a little more rounded. Make sure you use a pilot drill for the ball nose mill or it will walk all over. Size on out side of primary is 1/4 inch and inside is 3/8 inch or that is what I used.

photo IMG_1160_zps36055768.jpg

Worked on the Oil tank and got ready for primer. Replaced the bad bracket, filled rub marks from coil in a past life with weld smoothed all and I think were ready.

photo IMG_1161_zpsb76da495.jpg

Some of that Random stuff......
    Austins summer project was building a powder coating booth and oven. He honed his layout skills and learned what a "Crows foot" was. 2000 plus pop rivets later I think he gets it. He got to use all that math and geometry he didn't understand why they were teaching him in class. It is actually nice to see the look on his face when something kicks in and he understands why and how he got there himself.

photo IMG_1053_zps1cf392a0.jpg

photo IMG_1054_zpsf5788321.jpg

photo IMG_1056_zps514b06fa.jpg

Planning a large weekend push to prep for primer Thanksgiving weekend. Austin has promised to do my wheels and hubs so I can finish Primary and Frame.
    Enjoy your day and will bore with more later.
    Last edited by knuckcrazy; 11-20-2013, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Bob,
      On the inner chainguard, I always thought that the rivet head goes to the inside and bucked on the outside. Unless I'm wrong. AGAIN!!! Gezz, my inner cover is going to kill me.
      But I have some oem ones and that's what they look like to me anyway.
      Len.
      AMCA #765

Comment

No clue Len and thanks for the comments. Both inside and outside were rounded when I cut off old bracket so I put them back the same. The head on inside was larger size and out smaller but both round i'm sure. Repop?
        Spent the day making clutch rod studs for pedal dodging the primary parts till I figure it out.

Comment

Bob,
          Any progress on the 39? Did you get my pm on the inner?
          Len.
          AMCA #765

Comment

Bob,
            Don't if this is yours but you never know.
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/1939-EL-HARL...item3ce101fbef
            AMCA #765

Comment

Nope but pretty cool Len, thanks for keeping an eye out for me.
              Hope is all good with you and yours.

Comment

Good morning Bob,
                Believe it or not the painter says he will be ready for paint the first of next week.
                Q; Are the decals the same position on my 38 as your 39?
                AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
                X