Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1939 EL build (Yes I know, "Not another Knucklehead..")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

photo IMG_1088_zpsfd03a419.jpg

Comment

Len, one more thing is I kept the tape square to the flatside of the tank on all measurments.
      The paint is a little dusty in the pics but is very beautiful in person. There were questions on the width of the stripes but John has some kinda documentation showing some slight varience in the width so we are going with this for now. If I have any problems as always John stands behind his work and will change if required.

Comment

That paint is beautifully done. Did you apply it yourself? In my opinion the 39 paint scheme is the all time best for HD.

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
          I'll be following along on this one. Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff Bob. Diggin' the "work" photos too. I see Austin is working on a Beezer now. He's gonna notice a big difference riding that one!
          Hello Cory,
          Glad you are watching!
          Any help and advice welcome.
          I picked up the BSA cheap and Austin has been looking at diffrent options as far as what to do with it. His heart is with Harleys but this is a nice break for him to see other brands.
          By no means is it gonna be a stock bike but it is a bike so I'm cool with it. He will sell it when he completes to start a panhead project he has informed me.
          He has also has been playing with powdercoating as you can see from the oven and booth in background of frame pic.
          Busy kid.....
          Here is a couple "Work" pics from the weekend any gear head should relate to. Most stamping presses are engines turned upside down with the ram being the pistons. This pic is on a 3000 ton press that ripped the 5.5 inch wrist pin clean out of the Plunger (same as piston). We are running it until we can get parts in 3 months.
           photo Uni1_zps1e6404ba.jpg
           photo Uni2_zpse2138223.jpg
           photo uni3_zps3c0c3ce4.jpg
          Last edited by knuckcrazy; 10-29-2013, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kozy View Post
            That paint is beautifully done. Did you apply it yourself? In my opinion the 39 paint scheme is the all time best for HD.
            Hi Kozy,
            No the Painer is John Pierce, my painting skills are with my fingers and colored construction paper that my mother still hangs on the fridge.....

Comment

OMG Bob, I am blown away about this. The Airway Blue with the white really looks extremely nice. Great choice on the color imo and John is the best there is.
              Now if I can get these to print, I can take them to the painter and have it done right thanks to you. I also noticed the end of the paint on the tank filler bungs. Looks like it's right up to the top (sweet). I mentioned to the painter to bring it down an 1/8" from the top. I'll have to call him and correct it.
              Great documentation with amazing pictures as I have never seen this before and I thank you very much. If you don't mind, I'll send a pm with my email if that's alright?
              I owe you one big time. You need anything for the 39 and if I can help? It would be a pleasure!!!
              Len.
              P.s. It doesn't surprise me that John has documentation on the strips as we both know that he has been doing that for decades and yes, that is really Ballsy with the screw driver. I can't believe you did that. WOW!!
              P.s. I know! it just came to me. I have some(what I believe) original patent decals. If you need one for your tool box let me know. I'll send you one plus some original STP stickers for you and Austin for the tool box.
              Last edited by len dowe; 10-29-2013, 03:42 PM. Reason: patent decal
              AMCA #765

Comment

I am sorry for the Dust on the motor, try and picture it clean
                I will get more of the bottom end tonight and the Transmission.
                Cant wait til the weekend I have no other plans but working 12 hour days on the bike.
                 photo IMG_0258_zps5f8df51d.jpg
                 photo IMG_0260_zpsb2e03a7b.jpg
                 photo IMG_0261_zpsbd44a3f0.jpg
                 photo IMG_0262_zps1568f558.jpg
                Last edited by knuckcrazy; 10-31-2013, 11:32 AM.

Comment

photo IMG_0264_zps9614c426.jpg
                   photo IMG_0266_zps87a08d78.jpg
                   photo IMG_0267_zps485ce606.jpg
                   photo IMG_0268_zps7bad877d.jpg

Comment

photo IMG_0269_zpsb9f87ef8.jpg
                     photo IMG_0270_zps4ce1ef89.jpg
                     photo IMG_0271_zps75eb0477.jpg
                     photo IMG_0275_zps0b1e1848.jpg
                     photo IMG_0277_zps8714a489.jpg

Comment

photo IMG_0279_zps1281b96a.jpg

Comment

Well, I planned a large weekend working on the 39. It was great hanging out in the shop as I have been busy the last few weeks with work and have not had any me time. I took tons of pictures on my high tech camera.....or so I thought. Well into my adventures I noticed a little screen flashing that said no storage device. I said to myself, "self do you need a storage device" well the answer after pushing the review button was YES, **** and some other words. I installed the card in the camera and pressed on.
                        All work prior to camera mishap is lost as far as this forum but I decided to replace the lower fender mount and remove the tool box mount for repair or replacment. I am going to see what the tool box mount replacment looks like before I decide if I will spend the time trying to save this one.
                         photo IMG_1094_zps51161c2b.jpg
                        The hole saw fits over the mount snug prior to modification. I chucked it up in the lathe and ground out the teeth that face inboard so as not to damage the round mount. The saw uses the round stock mount as a pilot and the removes the material clean. It is a little neater than grinding the mount off with abrasives.
                         photo IMG_1090_zps1509acf2.jpg
                         photo IMG_1091_zps8e7dca47.jpg

Comment

Next the Tool box mount. The pics dont show it but it has been repaired several times and each time the sides have been ground thinner and thinner.

Yes I know I am jumping around right now working on the seat pan but I need to get it finished so I can send off tho the seat dude. It took me a long time to find a pan with all these holes, rust and stuck studs, I like a challenge.... I hate Vise grips more than people who don't work and get checks from the goverment but thats another subject. I HAD to try it knowing it would just shine up the stud, piss me off and require me to do what I should have done in the first place.
                          Last edited by knuckcrazy; 11-04-2013, 09:50 AM.

Comment

photo IMG_1098_zps2108851c.jpg
                             photo IMG_1099_zpsd49caf3a.jpg

Welded a oversize nut on the stud for use with a larger wrench and it worked just like it should.

It snapped it off clean. Perfect , just as I planned.

photo IMG_1100_zpsc050696e.jpg

Well you know the rest.
                             photo IMG_1101_zps0b8b72c3.jpg

Comment

Ran out of rod for TIG so ran a bunch of wire feed wire out and chucked it up in cordless drill and vise and twisted up some filler rod. Austin loved this and continued to waste my wire while I worked on seat pan.

photo IMG_1103_zpscbfc2ab5.jpg

Should have had more interesting pics but the camera kicked my butt sorry bout that.

On a side note Austins imitation of Miley Cyrus (he will be pissed I posted that heh heh).

photo IMG_1104_zps070c9fa7.jpg

Have a great week and will bore you with more later.
                              Last edited by knuckcrazy; 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Happy birthday to all my fellow marines...semper fi

Awsome weekend in the shop. Woke up around 4:45 am Saturday and said what the hell I'm going to the shop and beat on some Motorcycle parts. Fired up the new coffee maker wife got me so I would quit tracking shi+ in the house and setteled in for a long day. What I should have done was gone to the Bluegrass chapter meeting on Saturday but I have a short attention span and only saw seat pan. Sorry to Brian Groff and all Members. Hope you all had a good time and got a chance to get out and ride. Finished welding up the seat pan and smoothed all welds preparing for a little filler.

photo IMG_1105_zps3b970965.jpg

Put WAY too much filler on seat pan and sanded and sanded and sanded. Mental note, less coffee when mixing filler.

photo IMG_1107_zps44713a36.jpg

Sanded and filled for about 3 or 4 hours but it is fairly smooth and I think ok. I couldnt do body work for a living, it makes no sense to me to have more material laying in the floor as dust than is left on the part.

photo IMG_1110_zps47359ef5.jpg

Picked out 2 rear stands and decided to go with the easy one. Call me lazy.

photo IMG_1108_zps3f415f03.jpg

photo IMG_1109_zps733737c6.jpg
                                Last edited by knuckcrazy; 11-11-2013, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X