No announcement yet.

1912 HD Belt Twin (AKA EVIL TWIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two days to fabricate, fit and mount the seat is to much time. The seat mounting post strap required a lot of work to produce. Overall the project came out nice. I like this seat, it leaves a confident felling of handling without the swaying left to right as did the previous seat.

The 13 should be ready for its test run tomorrow. If the weather holds out, a trip is planed to run at a remote location for final tuning in preparation for Barber.

I am itching to get back to the Twin, frame components are ready for brazing and Tony (welder) is on stand by.

joe

Comment

"Three photos of the fabricated seat mounting hardware and fitment of the seat."

Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

A quick lunch break and back to work.

The test run of the Barber 13 went poorly, it only ran 50 mph a gain of 10 from the last run. Last chain adjustment the chain was one click from tight to lose I set it tight and found it way to tight after the run. This may be a problem for speed. Chains are readjusted and it is time for another firing.

joe

Comment

Test ran the 13 Barber bike on the stand this afternoon and found it still lacking in the rev department. Advanced the ignition timing a little and still no improvements. Bang,,, I then remembered the Ghost also had a similar limit to the rev range, I found that its intake valves were floating. Replaced the intake valve springs with a different wire wind and size, including a few other upgrades the speed increased from 75 to 90.

Tomorrow new intake valve springs will be wound up. In fairness to Dale and Matt maybe I will take some to Maggy Valley prior to the race. If Matt is to get these springs he will have to promise to maintain his race line this time and not cross mine. It appears Matt will be ridding William Sylvester's 13 and Dale will be on the 12 defunct and resurrected red skin for a second year.

Lets hope this Barber Century Race will be recorded for TV again it will be a real hoot. These three bikes should be very competitive this time as they all are 61 inch twins and who knows what else will show?

Hope to see you at Barbers come October, I know a group of local friends whom, to keep cost down are renting a high capacity van and hauling about 12 fellow enthusiasts to the event.

joe

Comment

An early trip this morning to McGuire spring to have intake valve springs twisted for the 13 Barber bike. Ron was busy with a job already so he was unable to break away and wind up my order. Perhaps they will be available tomorrow.

Jeff Willis (Ohio 304-638-4265) sent muffler castings at N/C, he told me he wanted to participate in this event and sponsor my Cannonball run with parts. In a couple days of work a muffler can be made from his castings and a old piece of hard wall pipe.

A finished muffler on hand is good when building the frame. The muffler and the back end mounting hardware assembled to the frame can be held in place perfectly for the welder.

Gas tanks and magnetos are on my mind. It would be nice to use stock tanks and have an auxiliary tank mounted on the bike somewhere. You need to carry three gallons of fuel, stock tanks are about two gallons.

joe

Comment

"Notice the deep breathing exercise given to the rectangular exhaust port of the tail pipe casting. To get speed out of a twelve motor every detail will become more important than those of the Ghost build. Originally the canister should be rolled sheet metal joined together by a folded joint (Hem?) and riveted. I machined the muffler canister out of an old piece of pipe."

Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Productively fell sharply today, getting arrested takes so much out of a guy. All the tough guy cop intimidation tactics (read as lies) knocks the wind out of your sail. I did thread the exhaust pipe stud tonight and install the new intake valve springs in the 13 Barber bike.

The resistance of the new intake valve springs increased. Starting at a 1.35 " free length we measured the spring resistance at one inch. The original springs equaled eight pounds the new spring measures ten pounds, a 20% increase in resistance. I was looking for 10% , since the seat pressure is light a decision was to try the springs as they are at 10 pounds.

More thoughts on the fuel tanks and brakes / hub design . The tanks will be stock unlike the Ghost with its replica tanks made one inch wider to increase fuel capacity to three gallons. I think an auxiliary fuel tank will be affixed to the fork. The fuel tank will be a cylindrical shape to resemble an acetylene tank. The new brake design is still brewing but good things will happen. As previously stated an undetectable original style coaster with internal enhancements will be the final design.

joe

Comment

O.K. photo taken care of.... now what's this about the "Evil Twin Doctor" having a brush with the law???
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Cuffed & stuffed ? Up against the wall dirt bag
                    rob ronky #10507
                    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                      O.K. photo taken care of.... now what's this about the "Evil Twin Doctor" having a brush with the law???
                      Yea I read that and thought I must have missed something so went back and reread posts. Maybe hes just checking to see if we are paying attention to what he writes. Can't imagine Slojo would do anything to earn 3 hots and a cott.

I very much appreciate all the detail on the machining processes.
                      Jason Zerbini
                      Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
                      Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Maybe speeding on the '13!! Bob
                        Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Maybe it was the Harley Police for violation of some of Bill Harley's patents.....
                          Last edited by Earl; 09-25-2013, 03:21 PM.
                          Rick Morsher, aka Earl
                          AMCA #1905

Comment

Originally posted by Earl View Post
                            Maybe it was the Harley Police for violation of some of Bill Harley's patents.....
                            Now that's funny.
                            Eric Smith
                            AMCA #886

Comment

The entire incident would take to much time to cover following is an abridged version.

Low on gas I pulled into a fuel station in Genesee County inserted my charge card into the pump and began filling up. A quick glance at the pump I noticed, it registering roughly $3.00 .8 gallons,,, hmm, fast pump I thought.

Several minutes later the pump shut off , removing the pump nozzle from my car I hung it up. Looking at the pump it stated my cost as $84 and change wow what is the cost of fuel here? I then notice over 24 gallons pumped. I have owned three of these Towncars and with total mileage accumulation of over 500,000 miles haven't ever pumped 18 gallons into one even after the mileage gauge reached zero. I just hit the 50 mile fuel warning prior to refueling it should take 16 to 17 gallons, something is wrong.

The attendant was useless , I asked her to call the station manager and then the police she refused. I called the 1-888 number on the pillar adjacent to the pump and registered a complaint with Shell. Next back into the station to get and recorded the police phone number from the phone book into my note pad when the attendant stated someone would be there right away.

Moments's latter a nicely dressed gentleman (undercover cop) entered the store and approached me asking what the problem was I thought he was the station manager (wrong) . We walked to the pump and I explained the situation. He immediately said my car was a large car and had the capacity to hold 24 gallons. I offered to show him the owners manual he wasn't interested and attempted to run me off as if nothing unusual happened.

I asked who he was and if he has a business card. He said he was the boss and refused to offer a business card. He then asked who I was, l refused to identify myself until he gave me a business card. He reached for my left arm and I was about to defend myself when I noticed he was carrying a gun and badge on his right side. Cuffed and under arrest they assumed I was involved in a scam of some sort hurling accusations after accusations trying to find something to stick including accusing me of not pumping any gas in my tank at all, another sort of scam I guess.

It became nasty for about an hour (by now about six cop cars marked and unmarked had arrived on the "crime seen of the century" ( think Alice's restaurant here) before they realized something did go wrong with the transaction and released me , not without a citation though.

After all had cleared I think I understand some of what happened. The pump started with nearly eight gallons and nearly 28 dollars registered. When I turned and looked at the pump from the beginning I assumed .8 gallons (8/10ths) and three dollars what It actually displayed was 8 gallons and 30 dollars, one decimal point off on both values. All the math ads up.

Now to find out how the pump remained on. Since it appears to have disregarded my charge card how did it start and at approximately 8 gallons and who was the previous user of this pump?. The cops checked the last charge card transaction on the pump and it was not from my card. It was paid for by another card holder and did not reflect my transaction.

Something happened between that card transaction and my fill up.

I now have a court date to answer for a Disobedient Conduct citation. If a cop asks for your ID apparently the law says you must furnish it. First the cop is responsible to identify him or her self , something this handcuff cowboy neglected to do. The cop was under cover dressed in street cloths and driving an inconspicuous unmarked car.

Can you believe this is an abridged version ? it is.

joe

Comment

After all the commotion it was back to the barn for anther shot at finishing the muffler, success ! Although I did break a 6-32 tap in the Y pipe due to shifting in the vise, it is difficult to hold onto this part.

With coated carbide today and a whole lot of care you can mill / drill out a broken tap. The key here is taps are made of high speed steel , about 62 Rockwell C scale. Carbide is closer to ten points higher. Since carbide is a harder material, with due care it can cut the softer H.S.S.tap.

joe

Comment

Working...
                                X