1912 HD Belt Twin (AKA EVIL TWIN)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
    It has been said a good deal is had when both parties involved in negotiations are happy at the end of the deal.

Yesterday Cory (my partner in crime) and I entered into negotiations, Cory to post photos, me, focus on building the Evil Twin and the verbal stuff. Team work. I am pleased to announce our great deal. By way of the art of persuasion Cory is on board again and he came at a bargain price N/C.

Thank you Cory now lets get to work.

joe
    2nd attempt at reply, here. I love it when a plan comes together!! You two are a great team, and your reports on C-ball 1 were as good for me as anything else that came of the event. Do a book!

Comment

First bend on lower right frame rail. The plates under the tube protect the tube and pivot with the bend while being blocked in by miscellaneous hardware .

Final bend.

Early mock up of the frame rear section.

Front frame section preparations for sweat braze.

Rear frame section prepared for attachment to the front.

Modifying a pedal crank bottom bracket from chain to belt.

Beginning of the heart of my motor the flywheels.

Finished in the shop for Friday night. Chips cleaned and the machine oiled, cast iron chips are such a mess and a damaging force to a machine.

Last edited by c.o.; 09-15-2013, 10:33 AM.
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

How to end the night, a watermelon dream. Nothing sweeter except peach ice cream !

Saturday morning back to the flying iron. I am machining two sets of flywheels one for Evil and the second set for a future project. Six jaw chucks are the best.

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Hi Cory and Slojo.*
          Thanks for taking the time to post pictures and descriptions of the process.*
          In the limited view of my screen, it looks like you'r lathe is making a nice smooth cut. But you have gone to the next step of grinding the flywheel.*
          Is this an effort to chase horsepower.
          Interesting thread.*
          Last edited by Steve Little; 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM.
          Steve Little
          Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
          Australia.
          AMCA member 1950

Comment

Joe played hooky and went to a show today...

" Down town Stockbridge on a rainy cold day. Typically this show is with great weather, the turn out was less than usual but still a good event."

Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

An early rise this Sunday morning and ride into Stockbridge with fellow Cannnballer Chris Price for the annual all clubs show. A little rain dampened many riders spirits and limited the turn out . Those who showed were not disappointed,. as usual a good turnout. After the ride back the Ghost was put away wet and run hard, a good cleaning this week will bring it back to its glory.

Tonight's focus was the carburetor on the Barber bike a 1913 Harley twin. This bike had not run for maybe 95 years and require a cautious tear down and reassembly over the summer. The 13 was first run out (opened up) at Wauseon. That ride turned out to be disappointing , only 40 mph with Dale Walksler following closely (eyeing up the 2013 competition) . The needle jet cam was set lean adjusting this rich should produce better performance. A ride is planed for this week.

Once the carburetor was finished priority shifted back to the flywheels, Finishing the outside diameter and holding tolerance is difficult without coolant on an OD grinder. The small grinding wheel is at disadvantage against the large flywheel. Grinding produces heat and heat expands the outside dimension of the flywheel. . This is where experience and mostly patience pays off. The end result, at room temperature for an hour all four wheels measured within .0001"

Steve

Grinding the outside diameter of the flywheel does improve the finish reducing drag. It also aids in crank pin location later on in the process, stay tuned.

joe
              Last edited by Slojo; 09-15-2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Awesome stuff, this is as good as our forum get's - thanks Joe and Cory!

Comment

"Another case of dyslexia or to many lunch time Lagers? Look at these vin numbers, typical of the 1912 through 1914 years. This 13 will be running Barbers Century laps this October."

"Two sets of flywheels and a weekend worth of work. The outside diameter of all four wheels are O.D. ground within .0001" This will simplify locating the crank pin hole accurately. Next, break the sharp edges, match the casting odd shapes and then machine the finish taper holes."

Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

Todd, a local welder helped me out of a jam on pedal bottom brackets today. Convenience has its advantage some times. Todd also took a look at a Knuckle transmission case that Razor threw in the towel and said if Razor could not weld it he would not willing attempt welding it. Obviously Todd knows Razor and like everyone else, to know Razor is to respect Razor.

Good news, Mark, for those of you who rode along with the Ghost build may remember him as Spark (grinder hand) has survived a hip replacement and neck surgery and is back on his feet. Spark will be instrumental in grinding parts that I choose not to grind in my shop due to the difference in quality of equipment and experience. Like Razor, Spark is at the top of his trade.

The Barber race bike is weighing heavy on my mind and the thought is to go back to the carb for more tweaking, this will delay progress on the Twin.

joe

Comment

Originally posted by Slojo View Post
                      An early rise this Sunday morning and ride into Stockbridge with fellow Cannnballer Chris Price for the annual all clubs show. A little rain dampened many riders spirits and limited the turn out . Those who showed were not disappointed,. as usual a good turnout. After the ride back the Ghost was put away wet and run hard, a good cleaning this week will bring it back to its glory.

Tonight's focus was the carburetor on the Barber bike a 1913 Harley twin. This bike had not run for maybe 95 years and require a cautious tear down and reassembly over the summer. The 13 was first run out (opened up) at Wauseon. That ride turned out to be disappointing , only 40 mph with Dale Walksler following closely (eyeing up the 2013 competition) . The needle jet cam was set lean adjusting this rich should produce better performance. A ride is planed for this week.

Once the carburetor was finished priority shifted back to the flywheels, Finishing the outside diameter and holding tolerance is difficult without coolant on an OD grinder. The small grinding wheel is at disadvantage against the large flywheel. Grinding produces heat and heat expands the outside dimension of the flywheel. . This is where experience and mostly patience pays off. The end result, at room temperature for an hour all four wheels measured within .0001"

Steve

Grinding the outside diameter of the flywheel does improve the finish reducing drag. It also aids in crank pin location later on in the process, stay tuned.

joe
                      Hi Joe!
                      Where did you get the flywheel castings, and what material are they?

Comment

Hello Joe,
                        Good seeing you at Davenport. Austin and myself will be keeping up with the build and look forward to your posts. Hope to see you at Barbers.
                        Cory,
                        Thanks for accepting the challenge, I would rather take a beating vs uploading pics....
                        Last edited by knuckcrazy; 09-17-2013, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Looking forward to reading this thread on cold winter mornings. Add a cup of coffee and it's a good way to start the morning.

Dick

Comment

Originally posted by fillibuster View Post
                            Hi Joe!
                            Where did you get the flywheel castings, and what material are they?
                            Fillibuster
                            Lonnie at Competition supplied the wheels. I believe they are nodular iron and are good quality wheels proven in my 14 Ghost.
                            Bob
                            " I would rather take a beating vs uploading pics...."
                            Me to .

joe
                            Last edited by Slojo; 09-18-2013, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I haven't had a lot to do with cast iron.... (well, when I think about it, I have quite a lot of it in my collection)... but I haven't had a lot to do with machining or making parts out of it. *
                              I do remember my old sheet metal teacher from high school taking us on an excursion, through a foundry that specialized in cast iron.*
                              The old guy who showed us around the foundry, had worked there for ever and a day and had started when he was 15.
                              When we where walking from the main foundry to a separate shed, which from memory, was the pattern department, I asked him if the parts that were stacked outside were old sh!t (which promptly got me a cuff in the side of the head from our teacher, who muttered show some respect).*
                              What I probably should have said was "the old looking rusty stuff", but in the lingo of a 14 year old everything was....well you know!!
                              Anyway the old guy chuckles, and goes on to explain that storing some cast iron parts out in the elements, is a normalizing *practice for parts that need to be very stable before machining.*
                              By leaving the cast iron parts in the cold, heat, and rain, over 12 months, or in some cases, longer, the iron becomes very stable and won't change shape after the iron has been machined to shape.
                              I probably would have forgotten that information, if not for the cuff in the ear.
                              Anyway, I wonder if Lonnie has been leaving these out in the weather, and that's why they are rusty?
                              Is that a Colchester lathe?
                              Steve Little
                              Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                              Australia.
                              AMCA member 1950

Comment

Didn't mean to side-track but: qu "By leaving the cast iron parts in the cold, heat, and rain, over 12 months, or in some cases, longer, the iron becomes very stable and won't change shape after the iron has been machined to shape." end qu

That's very interesting to me, Steve. I am rebuilding a top end for my Chief, and had used cast-in-India cyls. I noticed a very slight leak adjacent to the intake ports on both head gaskets (copper), and presumed that the heads were slightly warped. At the machine shop we gave the heads a brief skimming on the planer (a belt sander used on auto heads), and they showed close to nothing on warpage. The cyls, otoh, DID show about .0015" of a "dip" at the area in question, and I'm assuming that this was what caused the slight leak. So, as to the cast-in-India cyls, I am now curious as to their maturity. And I'm curious to know whether Indian, in the earlier days at Springfield, Mass, were as diligent as your tour guide probably was, about when to use that "old ****"!! I believe that Indian was many times in their history, too cheap for their own good. ........ So thanks for the side-track, Steve!

One of my prof's in college once said that the best cast iron to machine little hobby stuff out of was old window weights, because they've had many years of stress-relief hanging in the jams. I thought, who has time to wait? ..... now I recognize that it's never too late to learn things

Comment

Working...
                                X