Dressing terminal ends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dressing terminal ends

IMG_6282[1].JPGI had my 48' EL judged this past week @ the Sunshine Meet. One of my comments was "No Vinalite on terminals". I was later given a tour of the different items the judges had found. Lots to absorb so not sure I remember the correct comment about the item.
    My coil connection terminals have an uninsulated crimp terminal on the ends. Other places around the bike but using this as the example.
    I understood this to be missing something like shrink tubing at the terminal end. I believe he said he just uses a white shrink tube.
    Any help and/or pictures would be appreciated.
    Last edited by marksg; 03-06-2024, 08:12 AM.

This is a 1947 Knucklehead.7,500 actual miles.Original paint wiring & most of the bike is correct.

HD1947 FL coil wires.JPG

Comment

Your red wire is obviously not right.All wires should have cloth cover not plastic.Unless there was a change between early 1947 & 1948 it should have flag terminals on both wires you are pointing at.Also I'm suprised they still allow the common available modern wire colors.

Comment

Most of the bike is cloth wire. I am surprised I missed that these are not. I will dig into this further before next judging.
        Your picture seems to show a small black shrink tube over the points side but not the power side. Looks like I need to replace the wire and the power side ends to flag.
        Thank you.IMG_6283[1].JPG

Comment

No shrink tube either side..& shrink tube doesn't work on flag terminal.I think coil wire caps should be cad not chrome.If that is a Vtwin coil,good luck on riding it !

Comment

Indian wires in the 1940s did have shrink tube,but not Harley

Comment

Thanks for your help Duffey, I have replaced the wires with cloth and using the parts book have confirmed the left side of the coil connectors is Flag.
              I still have not been able to find reference for Vinalite or shrink tubing. I was hoping to get a reply from someone with 48' example or knowledge.

Comment

They didn't use shrink tube

Comment

Shrink tubing wasn't invented until late 1950's.
                  AMCA #41287
                  1971 Sprint SS350 project
                  1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                  1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                  1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                  96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                  2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                  plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

I wrote Indian udes heat shrink,but was some other material than shrink tube,maybe rubber.Starklite sells Indian harness & has covers of some kind.HARNESS, CHIEF MAIN WIRING 40'-'53 - Starklite Indian Motorcycles

Comment

I have used small diameter vacuum line without the ridges over the wire end.

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                        I wrote Indian udes heat shrink,but was some other material than shrink tube,maybe rubber.Starklite sells Indian harness & has covers of some kind.HARNESS, CHIEF MAIN WIRING 40'-'53 - Starklite Indian Motorcycles
                        ...I was going to say something like that, but I wasn't sure who the vendor was (wasn't Starklite)....but whoever it was included small diameter rubber sleeves that fit snugly over cloth covered wires and stretched over the fittings. Like tomfiii says, and not shrink.
                        Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

It was thicker than most heat shrink.If anybody knows of a supplier with THICK black heat shrink in smaller diameters,I would like to find some.My dad worked at Thomas & Betts years ago & brought home rejects of various colors of thick ,,except black.I still have a few pieces.It may have been polypropylene.I was one of the first to test polyolefin,they brought some to me to see if I could find a use for it.

Comment

Duffey,
                            Have you tried/used the "Ancor marine grade" heat shrink?
                            It is thick walled and durable.
                            Duke

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                              I see, said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw.
                              AMCA #41287
                              1971 Sprint SS350 project
                              1982 FXR - AMCA 98.5 point restoration
                              1979 FXS 1200 never done playing
                              1998 Dyna Convertible - 100% Original
                              96" Evo Softail self built chopper
                              2012 103" Road King "per diem"
                              plus 13 other bikes over the years...

Comment

Working...
                              X