1914 racing yardlong limited copies now available

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mr. Big
    replied
    It's really a wonderful piece but you've priced it so only the elite can afford one. I'm sure the AMCA members you asked about pricing for it had very deep pockets. I'm not living in wonderland and understand that this is an expensive hobby, but you could have made some very nice ones with the kraut paper, nicely framed, signed & numbered? (still not sure what that means) and charged whatever you wanted. But you could have also had some nice paper copies printed up for the unwashed masses to enjoy. You know, the ones that are "impecunious".........

    Leave a comment:


  • Slojo
    replied
    I am one of the so called millionaires (not) from the cannonball event. I would love to have a copy of Barry's photo sadly I can not afford one after the resent expenses I encountered with the cannonball event and the possibility of the next cannonball around the corner.

    The lack of quantity sales of this incredible photo will not prohibit a single bike from being put back on the road. That said not one of us NEED Barry's photo there fore it is a luxury which can be done without.

    I sure would like to see 100 photos sold for the 150 to 300 dollar price. Barry do the math and rethink this transaction out, don't forget to add the reimbursement price to those two lucky buyers if you make the photo available to some more of us. Remember no one is ridding the photo down the road so the likely situation of passing yourself going down the road is not the case here, these photos will be hanging in someone's house. Besides they will be helpfull in preserving history and my upcoming build of an early racer project.
    Joe

    Leave a comment:


  • Barry Brown
    Guest replied
    I thought only communists didn't like profit.
    A little history on the photo. I was with a buddy at Hershey in 1979 and he spotted it before me but it was just as well as I didn't have the $175 . Besides the subject matter it is interesting in that it is not a traditional
    panoramic taken with a moving camera but a very large print that was cropped. Of course circa 1914 it was not art just a documentation of what is most likely the Excelsior factory race team. All the big names are there.
    30 years later a deal was struck and i became the owner. He would only part with it if I had a copy made and contrary to your ideas it was not cheap. I showed the original to several AMCA members and they said they
    would gladly pay $1500 for a high quality copy if the number of copies was limited. I realize that money is tight right now so maybe I will only sell a few. Just seeing what the market will bear and obviously struck a
    nerve with some bitter dudes. Have a nice day.

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    Arguing the value of any object is pointless. Personally, I don't think any knucklehead ever made should sell for more than $25 G's but we all know how ridiculous that is. As for art; of course Barry's photo is art. No one in this world is qualified to say what is art and what is not art. However, everyone in this world is qualified to say what art is to them, personally.

    Leave a comment:


  • rwm
    replied
    it's a cool photo.if you sell it in the us.someone will come out of the woodwork and say that's my grand pappi's photo.your $1,500.00 a copy will be in his pocket.on the cover of time mag. was a painting yes a painting of obama. a man proved it was done from a photo he took.the painter lost his shirt and that was a painting of a photo not a photo copy.

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Barry,
    You can put all the spin in the world on this and it won't change the fact that you are selling an item that cost you $15.00 for $1,500.00. I glean photos from all over the web, mostly from eBay and show them for FREE on my website. Free to you but I have to pay to operate the site so I am actually losing money. Yes many millionaires were on the Cannonball. Sadly today, because of profiteers such as yourself, only folks with a lot of money can afford to build a pre '16 machine.

    Leave a comment:


  • 45OZ
    replied
    Originally posted by exeric View Post
    I would like to add this comment. Go to any art show and see what artists are asking, and getting for their prints, paintings, and sculptures. I think Barry's picture is a work of art so I look at it in that context.

    An Artist takes the time to capture an Image with proper lighting , lens openings & a subject theme all his own. they spend most of their lives struggling to live the life they dream to capture on film, this may justify the cost of a TRUE artist Original Print from a negative, in that instance you are paying for a vision & realization of that vision, as well as the time spent doing it again & again to capture that vision & translate it to a positive medium to be shared.
    This is a photo copy of photo that was purchased at a swap meet, The photographer is not represented nor profiting from this, So as far as ART goes it is NOT !!! As far as a photocopy of a picture it is, Yes it is indeed a rip off at the price of $1500 , & it is an insult to True artist to compare a photo copy to an artist's print from a neg.
    If you do not think this is extreme than o the math
    10 X $1500 = $15,000, that sure is some expensive paper !!!!
    Signed & #'ed ??? Signed by who ??? #'ed ??? does that mean buyers are guaranteed this will no longer be available??
    I'm not looking for a fight here but I have been involved with true artists most of my life & people are constantly trying to rip them off
    this is a VERY neat Item but art gallery quality Pricing ? I think not .

    Leave a comment:


  • Barry Brown
    Guest replied
    "everyday working man" !! You must be joking. Wasn't it YOU who was eager to run down to greet the Cannonballers MOST of them are millionaires in case you are not aware.

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    I would like to add this comment. Go to any art show and see what artists are asking, and getting for their prints, paintings, and sculptures. I think Barry's picture is a work of art so I look at it in that context.

    Leave a comment:


  • exeric
    replied
    Originally posted by 45OZ View Post
    Should'nt This be listed in "FOR SALE " not " parking lot chatter " ? This is by all means is an Ad & not a discussion on what should be charged for non Original photo copies RIGHT ? Can it be placed in the proper area?
    I disagree; this is deffinately a Parking Lot Chatter topic now.

    Leave a comment:


  • 45OZ
    replied
    Should'nt This be listed in "FOR SALE " not " parking lot chatter " ? This is by all means is an Ad & not a discussion on what should be charged for non Original photo copies RIGHT ? Can it be placed in the proper area?

    Leave a comment:


  • aka HAWG
    replied
    chris
    and your stealing ( yes I said stealing ) of photo's from the world wide web and posting them on your own personal website with a caption stating chris haynes owned is perfectly acceptable. maybe to you a grammer school educated, 2nd generation immigrant to california. people that steal should not be allowed on the world wide web

    who on this forum or any other that is selling something is not making a profit - if they were making a loss I don't think they would be selling . unless they do that in califonia - sell at a loss, no wonder california needs money

    barry that is a killer yardlong - would love a copy but excelsior and harley topper parts are at the front of the hobby spending list

    aka HAWG
    Last edited by aka HAWG; 10-15-2010, 11:29 PM. Reason: cause I can and chris will point out the spelling mistake

    Leave a comment:


  • Chris Haynes
    replied
    Originally posted by Barry Brown View Post
    Chris, Thanks for your astute commentary. You must have gone to grammar school. Since you appear to be impecunious I'll let you have one for $1,499.00 The way the US dollar is going I may have to change the asking price to yuan. By the way , Walmart does not sell these.
    Your $1,500.00 price for a copy photo is simply nothing but a rip off. A$$hole$ like you who gouge people should not be allowed on these boards. That is simply my grammar school opinion. It is profiters such as yourself that have driven the prices of this sport out of the budget of the everyday working man.

    Leave a comment:


  • Barry Brown
    Guest replied
    I had what is probably the best photographic house in Canada do these prints. The guy told me he can only get the top quality paper from Germany . He has an amazing setup and I was duly impressed so I entrusted the job to him. The results are impressive.
    I know it probably seems outrageous but I have sold 2 already at that price and the last time I checked we were still in a capitalist system. I have plenty of other yardlongs I would be happy to copy and sell for considerably less but none of them hold a candle to this one. If you are a student of motorcycling history ( I thought we all were here) show me another more interesting race photo with such clarity and intrigue and details never before seen. I showed this to Dan Statnekov and he was blown away.
    For those of you who are flummoxed by big words like Mr Big ( great name, easy to spell) I first encountered the word impecunious in a famous motorcycling history book written by a famous Californian motorcycling history authority . He would have loved this yardlong but he is sadly not with us anymore.

    Leave a comment:


  • silentgreyfello
    replied
    killer photo!!!!!!!

    Leave a comment:

Working...