No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summers ending, that means Jefferson and Barbers Motorsport Park events. A great way to celebrate the seasons end.

Jefferson , a laid back event turned up a couple early treasures as usual which makes the long trip worth the effort . The last of the AMCA nationals is always a good place to say goodbye to friends for another winter .

Barbers Motorsport Park growing every year is becoming a don't miss event with great racing , a swap meet , auction , excellent facilities and a museum of its type second to none. The racing is the draw for me , competition from all makes , models, displacements , and vintages. Even Eric Buell was at the track side watching over his latest machine take at least one first place finish. You might be asking why am I reporting this event on the Ghost site...

The Ghost came out for a haunting and haunt it did , this year competing in two different events. The century laps and the Cannonball laps. The Century Laps open to 100 year old bikes with brakes and a clutch of some sort. This event appears to be frozen to single speed bikes typically pre 1915. The Ghost skimmed by eligibility and off to the races it was. This years event included mostly early singles and one Indian twin with straight pipes. I thought the Indian was my competition after being handed defeat two years straight by Dale and his Indian just like this one..

When the green flag dropped keeping an eye on the Indian twin was not a priority . The Ghost darted out leading the pack down the front straight and into the first corner. That was basically the beginning of the end because the singles bikes were over matched by the twin. The Indian did not match the speed of the rest of the field and may have finished last. The Ghost collects a checkered flag , to bad Dale (busy running the museum) and Matt (preparing for his Tuesday wedding) weren't there.

Following the Century Laps was the Cannonball Laps , this is a new event for Cannonball bikes only. Lined up waiting for the green flag was about a dozen JD's and VL's nothing to early other than ... the Ghost. When the green flag dropped you would have though the Ghost was in reverse , the three speed bikes darted out so fast the single speeder didn't have a chance at the line. As the Ghost picked up speed and the front straight diminished the Ghost gathered a couple bikes , thru turn two and three the same activities turn four was Mike Carson running a strong first , in the lead and unaware of the Ghosts presence. Once around the Carson bike the Ghost played its disappearing act finishing the race out in front taking another checkered flag.

According to David Morrill he wrote a comment on face book about Harley Davidson racing history in Birmingham Al. Back then the all new race team raced one hundred years ago to the week taking a checkered flag in a one hour race with Red Parkhurst at the controls. The event took place just a few miles down the road from the Barber track. History repeats itself and what a spine chilling piece of information that was when I first read his brief historical comment

joe.

Comment

• It was a great event Joe. Congratulations on your win, and recreating a little early Birmingham history! Waiting for a good photo of you, and the Ghost, so I can put up a blog story on your win and it's historical significance. Meanwhile, here's a link to the story of Red's 1914 Birmingham win.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/2012/1...ober-1914.html

Facebook post:

https://www.facebook.com/DeadlyDavesBlog?ref=bookmarks
      Last edited by dlm32; 10-20-2014, 07:06 AM.
      David Morrill
      Sylacauga, AL. USA.
      AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
      Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

• Here's a link to my blog story History Repeats itself in Birmingham on Joe's win at the Barber Century Race:

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/2014/1...irmingham.html

10728595_790981860939986_1104224696_n.jpg
        David Morrill
        Sylacauga, AL. USA.
        AMCA #15284

Deadly Dave's Blog
        Sharing the Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if you drop it from a plane!

Comment

• Re-treads

DewEy (earlyharley.com) has taken over the early HD frame production from Lonnie and the guys at Competition. He has asked if I am interested in making the lower rear frame rails for the 1911 12 13 14 HD frames. I thought it would be a good idea to review the process and time involved to produce the round to oval rails prior to agreeing to make them. I found on page 29 of this article the live tooling process used on the Okuma CNC lathe to generate the frame rail but am unable to locate the video process , did it get deleted somehow ? Does anyone know how to find it?

The shop is under reorganization for improved safe efficient operation and should be back on line soon. I took a break from bike building while taking care of other responsibilities.

joe

Comment

Working...
          X