No announcement yet.

!914 Twin HD Cannon ball request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slojo, I don't know if you realize it or not, you are one gifted individual. I am awestruck everytime I read your posts on your work. I hope to shake your hand at "Wheels Through Time" when y'all start your trip.
    Pete
    Pete Cole AMCA #14441
    1947 Indian Chief

Comment

• Pete
      Quote "I hope to shake your hand at "Wheels Through Time" "

I don't know about that. You know how I feel about the history of rivalries between Harley and Indian people. Well maybe this one time. Actually I look forward to meeting you and those who have cruised along on this build ride.
      My recent trip to Florida for Eustice and Daytona was a real eye opener for me. I had the pleasure of meeting several motorcyclist who have been along for the build/ride that other wise would have saw me as just another (pretty) face in the crowd. For example one gentleman, a common acquaintance that did not know me as slojo was discussing a motorcycle related subject when suddenly the conversation light up, he just learned who I was (alias slojo). It was a great honor for me to meet so many of these people who I spend all this time scribing this article for.
      Joe

Comment

• At better than 32 thousand views you've got a lot of folks to meet yet....

Here's that screw pic.........

Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

• Do it right the first time or do it again.

Tonight was time for an easy project before tying into the screw process again. A throttle control linkage part with brass tube was defective, the brass tube was cracked. A trip to the local hardware store for a piece of 5/16 X.029 wall brass tube made it easy to repair this part. Soft solder held the original parts together so a propane torch was all that was required to disassemble (clean) and re-solder for an easy and quick repair, done.
          Next was to re-setup the screw manufacturing process. First was to improve on the work holding, the most important step when machining, a step that was not satisfactory from the beginning.
          An old machining center tool was cut off into a easily held component that uses standard collets. Next was to set up some soft jaws to secure the new collet holder in the CNC lathe spindle.
          Over the years I have managed to acquire some nice machines, its tooling that is evading me. Typically much of my tooling is just mixed up used items. In this case the chuck jaws that fit the application best had T-nuts that were not proper for the lathe chuck. These T-nuts are hardened so..... do not pass go (the Bridgeport) do not collect $100 go straight to the Okuma. The hardened T-nuts and subsequently the bolts require a rigid set up and good tooling when modifing them.
          The cutting was at 300 RPM about 100 surface feet/min good enough to remove all that did not fit the application. Once the jaws were mounted on the chuck they must be bored to run true to the machine spindle centerline. A jaw forming device is used to hold the chuck jaws in a specific position in their travel range for boring the jaws.
          Imediatly the old program with the new work holding devise produced a much better part. With a little fine tuning I now have a capable process. Tomorrow I will add the milling tool for slitting the screw driver slot. Following are photos and a new video.
          Joe

Comment

• Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

• Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

• Who's following question is this, funny and observant you are.
                "Q: Hello, Your motor is a !914, Do you have a buy it now price?"

Joe

Comment

• The display of screws above are prototypes prior to the change in work holding they were sub standard, mostly finish issues. The new work holding made things run so much smother that I should now be able to produce any fillester screw with this very same program as long as the diameter V. length ratio is not greater that six or eight to one.
                  Joe 4-10-2010
                  Last edited by Slojo; 04-10-2010, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Following is a You Tube video of the new fillester head screw process. It was very late Friday night, actually early Saturday morning when this was recorded, maybee about 1:Obrainfreeze.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5abyvi4HAU

Comment

• Oh! How I would love to have a machine like that!
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Chris
                        The You Tube video process is real time speeds of 2800 rpm and transverse feed rate of .020 per revolution during the simultaneous rough turn cut. With two tools opposed at 180 degrees cutting the exact same pass the feed rate is effectively a .010 chip load per cutter. If I had a set of positive 55 degree diamond cutting tools cutting pressure would lessen and the finish operation would surely improve. There is most always a better tool than what my limited selection of tooling allows yet I try not to let that hinder me to much.
                        Joe

Comment

• Slojo, as you know i follow this thread with great interest. I feel I need to ask what drugs you are using to get all this excellent work done in such a short time, I just want to stretch my limits a fraction closer towards your level man.

Thanks a lot for sharing those videos on Youtube. Really innterresting stuff.

Sverre
                          Http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
                          And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                          This is a great theory.
                          If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

• Sverre
                            No drugs at all, no coffee no sodas no smoke or stimulants of any kind I get my rush through accomplishments. The end results (in this case the cannonball run) is how I maintain my focus on this type of project. Besides it is my opinion that with all the work into this project two big twins could have been built already. This Gray Ghost is not going as swift or smooth as expected.
                            Actually today has been full of front brake stuff again. No matter what I do this brake thing keeps coming back to haunt me. Recently discovered was four of five brake backing plates hunted up are scrap. They all have cracks where Honda pressed bushings into the axle and brake pivot holes. A XL 500 instead of the XR 500 backing plate is discovered to be made of aluminum unlike the XR's magnesium plate. Problem is the aluminum unit has its own unique characteristics. I guess the most difficult issue is engineering around obstacles such as the second brake arm and linkage between the two arms interfering with several structures and hardware.
                            Currently I am taking a dinner brake and am making plans to work late again tonight. Incidentally, what is the weather like in Norway, here in Michigan spring has sprung, it is still cool out at about 50 to 60 degree F. the Lilacs are sprouting leaves and flowers will be soon to come. We already hit an unseasonably hot 80 F once this past week.
                            Joe

Comment

• Sverre
                              Ah I see
                              Quoting your site "Went up early this morning, bright outside but still cold, 3 degree C"
                              Cool site you have there.
                              Joe

Comment

• Third time is a charm

Ok, with the change of the front brake backing plate a new aluminum adapter had to be made (third time around for this part). Just a slight revision as compared to the previous unit so most of the program was still in the machine control. I have shot a few photos of tonight's progress that should be posted tomorrow. With the brake hardware revision a change in linkage routing became possible. The original Honda linkage without modification should fit with some creative routing clearances in the new bracket. This will offer a clean approach and unmodified parts, good for replacement in the future if something fails.
                                Joe

Comment

Working...
                                X