No announcement yet.

harley eight valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think these are the two bikes you are talking about chris.but i still think cameron had two 8 valves.the 8 valve in this picture is not a banjo lower end.
    www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

definatly been used.

Comment

I just read an article from the Winter '93 issue of the Antique Motorcycle on Statnekov's resurrection of the eight-valve. Here's a quote from J. Rudge (the articles author) "In March of 1991 Daniel was able to pry the engine away from John Cameron. John said "it was the first time anyone had ever made a serious offer". Daniel started out with the engine, front-forks, handlebars and little else. Two and a half years later, in mid-August 1993 it was fired up for the first time since the '20's."

Lonnie you had indicated that you liked Cameron's version of the eight-valve. Did he have it together at one point? Just curious as the story does not elude to this.
        Cory Othen
        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
          i personally like camerons version.if this old engine could talk.

O.K. I just answered my own question. It's funny how over time details get left out. That machine is stunning. Your not kidding about wishing that engine could talk. It could keep me riveted for days!!!
          Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

John had only the one 8 valve ( is that not enough?) . In the 80's I had an ongoing correspondence with him about his hybrid Crocker . It is too bad that the majority of the AMCA members around my age have not "taken" to computers or this website in particular as a lot of stuff that is discussed here is common knowledge amongst them. I spoke with Dale Axlerod at Eustis and tried to encourage him to get on line as he visited John and many others and had an intimate knowledge of all the 8 valves. Our friend Bernard Thomas from England bought an original 8 valve top end in New Jersey ( for under $2000 ! ) in the late 80's and sold it to Dale for about 12,500. Dale acquired a bottom end from Australia and sold the engine at Davenport top Jack Silverstein for 125 a few years ago.

Comment

barry dale is working on a few parts for me and i will be sharing a space with him at wauseon this wire less laptop will be with me maybe with some help we can twist his arm
              rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

there is a lot of parts from the dixon bike still around rear fender is in the west carb and sprockets where for sale at oley .frame one thank side and some other parts in fla. statnekov sold the parts he didn't use. but john cameron liked to cut things also. cameron cut one of those bikes to put a jawa 2 speed grass track tranny in it
                rob ronky #10507
                www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

OK, that's very interesting about the Jawa 2 speed. I am sure he was trying to replicate the look of the 2 speed Indian trans Dixon used but probably couldn't be bothered to search one out. John did whatever he wanted with his bikes. He had fun when that was what it was all about before the investor mentality took hold. I never met him other than in letters but he was one of my a heros , a cool dude. He bought his hemi head Crocker 90 incher from Al Crocker personally. It had been slated to go into a 3/4 midget race car but became available. John raced it and kept breaking shifter forks which was a Crocker weak point. When Al had no more he put the engine in a JD chassis and told me it handled better than ever and he could slide it around corners with both feet on the boards. The problem was the Crocker engine's power was too much for the old JD seat post frame member and kept breaking.

Comment

This is the stuff that makes the old motorcycle world so great. Thanks for the stories Barry!
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Swedish 8 valve`s

I have done a little bit of digging in my library and have found some info on the two Swedish 8 valves, both imported from US by then General agent Lindblad in Stokcholm for his favorite driver, "Master" Erik Westberg that did set nomerous speed records with his Harley racers troughout the twenties.
                      This is well documented in magazines and at least one book unfortunately in Scandinavia only.
                      OK, one pic showing Westberg on his first 8 valve imported in 1922 from the US;

This was as you see a open port engine runned on alcohole.
                      He set many of his records on ice during winter, as well as many races where held as uphill races, where one certain track here in Norway where a favourite. This was called the "bottle screw" as the hill wass climbed trough 360 degree curves (we had and have several of these here back then, and still have).

There was allso a banked motorcycle racing circuit in Stockholm Sweden called the "Velodromen". This was particularly built for Motorcycle racing in 1924-26:
                      And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                      This is a great theory.
                      If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Swedish 8 valve`s

Erik Westberg set a speed record of 161 Km/H in 1923 when the world speed record where 182 Km/h set by a Brough Superior in England.
                        He did set many of his records on ice, but popular racing where allso uphill races, where one particular track here in Norway was popular, the "Korketrekkeren" (bottlescrew) where the hill was climbed trough a 360 degree curve (we had and have several of these still).
                        In 1925 Westberg got his second 8 valve, this in a "dealers racing frame" with Flying Merkel racing fork, open port heads as on previous engine.
                        With this machine he set a record of 173Km/H in 1926 on ice (sigh!).
                        This machine was from the factory equipped with a two speed gearboks w. kick starter.
                        The previous machine had been pushed or towed to start.

I know that Jurrasic have a couple of Swedish friends that should know all details on this (Repop Merkel forks is a hint for you Jurrasic), if not I can dig more for pics and info on the Swdish 8 valves.
                        And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                        This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

Erik Westberg Sweden

Even if not 8 valve I post a couple of race pics showing Westberg in Action;
                          Early racer from before he got his first 8 valve,

Sidecar speed racing on ice,
                          This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

John Cameron`s garage

As Barry one of my heros have been John Cameroon, he was in it for the joy of motorcycling.
                            When I was in the US first time he had unfortunately allready passed.
                            I have just found one of the garage pics where the 8 valve is not to well seen, but I know I have some more;
                            This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

8 valve`s

There is an article on a supposedly original 8 valve in American Iron Magazine May 1996 Issue.
                              I forgot to note the name of the US owner, it was all white in the article.
                              This is a great theory.

AMCA-3489

Comment

thank you sverre.8 valves on ice,amazing stuff.please keep the pics coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X