harley eight valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobbyt View Post
    See my earlier append -- the race was at the Chicago Speedway near Maywood. It was won by Carl Goudy on the new Big Valve Ex. Otto had wanted to run his standard racer, probably the one he used at Venice and Dodge City, but HD had him use the new 8-valve. He set the 100 mile record before eating a valve. There was some confusion in the record keeping and Excelsior protested that Bruggerman had been leading, but the FAM gave the record to Walker. Bruggerman eventually finished 2nd.

Bob Turek
    # 769
    That is an important part of the story as most books state that Sept. '15 100-mile record was set by Walker on a pocket-valve, but in fact it was an 8-valve! Thus confusion upon confusion....
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Comment

BAE-BAF top end and barrels

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
      This one looks like it could be a "Knuth's Special" altho it's a long time since I looked into that subject. There are a couple old photos of Knuth Specials in the 1930-'41 (Knucklehead) book. There I flubbed the description but then updated it in the 1903-41 color book from info provided by Chuck Wesholski. Like Chuck said: They WERE special!
      these are BAE-BAF style heads and barrels, from what I have read 2 original bikes may have been made,1 has been found, the head castings on this are pretty clean,fin casting is off,(tells me it's mike smith repop tops)
      Ken S., # 6457
      1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
      1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Originally posted by milw.pirates View Post
        these are BAE-BAF style heads and barrels, from what I have read 2 original bikes may have been made,1 has been found, the head castings on this are pretty clean,fin casting is off,(tells me it's mike smith repop tops)
        When you say "2 original bikes" do you mean "Knuth Specials" or something else? Seems to me on a original photo of one, it has a number on the tank: like "No.2" or some other number, as if in a series.
        Herbert Wagner
        AMCA 4634
        =======

Comment

Knuth Specials

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
          When you say "2 original bikes" do you mean "Knuth Specials" or something else? Seems to me on a original photo of one, it has a number on the tank: like "No.2" or some other number, as if in a series.
          Herb,
          You are correct,2 Knuth Specials,I seem to recall that 2 were to have been built and 1 was found some years back at Davenport,not sure if the other has ever been found. any body else ever hear of this?
          Ken S., # 6457
          1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
          1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

here is a shot of the top. 2nd photo was sent to me from eric in france he has a 2cam site

rob ronky #10507
            www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Herb,
              I'd appreciate your thoughts on the Percy Coleman 8 valve photo I posted on the I beam fork post.
              Is this bike just a Kiwi build or did it come from the factory with crossover drive and a single/45 gearbox.
              Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
              A.M.C.A. # 2777
              Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Check out lot #76 on this page...... http://www.jwoodandcompany.com/2009/..._2009_lots.htm
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

Cory
                  That's the ex Charlie Ogden bike that was bought by Bill McNamara and restored by him then later on he sold it to Glen Bator for a figure that is reputed to be between $250,000 and $300,000 USD.
                  It's history is well known in the Sydney, Australia area and Bill bought it off Charlie's widow at Redfern sometime in the late 80's early 90's and took about 10 to 12 years to restore it.
                  Missing was the cylinder barrel lubricating ring, inlet manifold, countershaft and clutch, (which were all supplied by Michael Lange as repo parts) and most importantly both top ends from the crankcase up.
                  I supplied, as a sample, a complete nos deflector plate 8 valve cylinder that I had so a pattern maker here in NZ could make patterns and new cylinders were cast here in NZ. All the machining was done here in NZ by Steve Raffills and he made all the bits required to complete the top ends. rockers, rocker plates, valves, exhaust deflector plates, etc, etc, etc.
                  Bill had the tanks and handlebars made by someone in Australia and what parts that are not mentioned here came out of Charlie Ogdens shed.
                  With all the bits Bill got from that shed was a HD 2 speed clutch hub rear wheel that Bill dealt off but was later to find out that this wheel was fitted for most of this bikes racing life and I'm sure Bill rues to this day that deal that led him to part with a major piece of this bikes history.
                  In all the bike is about 50% original, 50% repo but it is a very nice example and probably only the Renzo Battilani 8 valve in Italy has more original parts than this bike has.
                  Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                  A.M.C.A. # 2777
                  Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification Tommo. I was wondering about the originality of the bike. It's always nice to hear the true story. Thanks for taking the time to tell it.
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommo View Post
                      Herb,
                      I'd appreciate your thoughts on the Percy Coleman 8 valve photo I posted on the I beam fork post.
                      Is this bike just a Kiwi build or did it come from the factory with crossover drive and a single/45 gearbox.
                      I don't have a definitive answer, but I would say this.

It's seems doubtful to me that H-D would have used a Single/45 gearbox in an eight-valve UNLESS Percy Coleman requested them to build it that way.

Are there any other eight-valve photos showing such a set-up?

If not, that reinforces my belief that Coleman either asked for it that way or built it that way himself.

If the bike still existed, you could look for extremely good worksmanship. Not to say Coleman couldn't do top-notch work because maybe he did, but the Factory was setup that way and those guys were expert craftsmen.

How many original period eight-valve Harleys exist?
                      Last edited by HarleyCreation; 02-13-2010, 12:28 PM.
                      Herbert Wagner
                      AMCA 4634
                      =======

Comment

• Italian 8 valves

Here shot from french magazine "MOTO d'EPOQUE et d'exception" of the 2 Italian 8 valves.
                        Are they original or not ? i'm not an expert but they are beautiful.

Last edited by Eric; 03-06-2010, 12:37 AM.
                        http://www.harley-memories.com
                        http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
                        AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

• Cameron 8 valves

Here picture of cameron eight valves. Cameron write on the back "The 8 valves showing Esso-Jawa speedway transmission as i ran it at Bonneville Speed Trials".

Last edited by Eric; 03-06-2010, 12:37 AM.
                          http://www.harley-memories.com
                          http://harley8valves.wordpress.com/
                          AMCA Membership#5701

Comment

• John Camerons ex Freddy Dixon 8 valve?

Just came across this photo from Brooklands where Dixon have a sidecar attached to his eight valve.

Sverre
                            http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
                            Attached Files
                            And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                            This is a great theory.
                            If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

• and they said i was crazy
                              www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

• Harley 8 valve

Cool picture Lonnie, did you ever consider using 4 valve Rudge heads to make an eight valve Harley motor?

Sverre
                                http://AmericanMotorcyclesNorway.blogspot.com
                                And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                                This is a great theory.
                                If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Working...
                                X