harley eight valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 valves

Please Jurrasic e-mail me; sve***ger@online.no (remove ***).
    And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
    This is a great theory.
    If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Great stuff Sverre! Thanks for sharing those awesome pics!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

so there you go, how do we not know that the engine John Cameron got from England was not one of these Swedish jobs? I find it amazing that Harley does not have accurate dispatch records of all these amazing machines. what a bunch of bozos. BMW has a record of where each and every one of their bikes went. There weren't any bombs falling on Milwaukee.

Comment

When AMF took over at H-D they trashed tons and tons of records. They figured nobody needed that old crap.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by sveger View Post
            As Barry one of my heros have been John Cameroon, he was in it for the joy of motorcycling.
            When I was in the US first time he had unfortunately allready passed.
            I have just found one of the garage pics where the 8 valve is not to well seen, but I know I have some more;
            both of westberg's 8 valves were open port ,with "kidney bean" two cam lower ends. where as dixons engine was a "C" port with a "banjo" two cam lower end. notice the 8 valve in this picture,which appears to be camerons, is a kidney bean lower end , with "C" port heads.confused yet?
            www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

what are these

rob ronky #10507
              www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

Erik Westerberg 1927 Edsviken Bay 104 mph

see also Robby Jeckers 8V:

www.harleysons.de

Fritz
                Attached Files

Comment

Westberg`s 8 valves

Hi Fritz, cool photo.
                  I see from this image that he obviously changed front forks quite often. Here he is running with HD fork, in other pics he use the unsprung Merkel and other with telescopic Merkel racing forks.

How is your third book coming along, I really miss that one.
                  Please let me know if and when availiable.

sve***ger@online.no

Regads
                  Sverre
                  Norway
                  And then there is the idea that we are here on earth to get a certain amount of things done before we die.
                  This is a great theory.
                  If it is true, I am so far behind that I will never die...

AMCA-3489

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
                    We going to do something on early H-D 8-valves in the near future.

One thing of importance will be to prove that the first Harley 8-valve was actually fielded and raced in 1915, and not 1916 as commonly believed. Of course 1916 was a smashing success for the Milwaukee brand, altho in a year of great turmoil and change.
                    Have you heard the story of Otto Walker winning a race in September of 1915 at the Maywood track near Chicago? He was reputedly on a Model 11-K with an eight-valve powerplant.
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by c.o. View Post
                      Have you heard the story of Otto Walker winning a race in September of 1915 at the Maywood track near Chicago? He was reputedly on a Model 11-K with an eight-valve powerplant.
                      See my earlier append -- the race was at the Chicago Speedway near Maywood. It was won by Carl Goudy on the new Big Valve Ex. Otto had wanted to run his standard racer, probably the one he used at Venice and Dodge City, but HD had him use the new 8-valve. He set the 100 mile record before eating a valve. There was some confusion in the record keeping and Excelsior protested that Bruggerman had been leading, but the FAM gave the record to Walker. Bruggerman eventually finished 2nd.

Bob Turek
                      # 769

Comment

I guess my sometimers was kicking in when I last posted. You did indeed mention that already Bob. Thanks for the more indepth rundown.
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyt View Post
                          Bruggerman eventually finished 2nd.

My bad . . . actually Bruggerman was 5th; Carroll was second on an Indian 8-valve.

Bob Turek

Comment

I just found these pics in an article from Issue No. 32 of Walneck's. There's no date on it but I'm thinking it's probably from the mid-eighties.

Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

That was in the late '60's early 70's.
                              Be sure to visit;
                              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

O.K. I figured the pics were earlier but the article was printed in an eighties Walneck's. They didn't specifiy where the photos came from I guess.... Chris, do you know anything about the eight-valve's runs at Bonneville?
                                Cory Othen
                                Membership#10953

Comment

Working...
                                X