Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley-Davidson's "Belated" or Correct (1904-1954) 50th Anniversary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bmh View Post
    Perhaps, and this is just a thought, the madalions were placed on the 54's to celebrate 50 years of production. This could not have been done in 53 as the 50th year of production was just then in progress. Perhaps the concept of not being able to celebrate a milestone untill it had passed led to some fuzzy math. I don't know, but if I had to guess who got it wrong my money is on AMF in 78.
    That would be my guess also Brian.

Motorcycles in 1909 were tagged as Model 5 machines.
    Motorcycles in 1910 were tagged as Model 6 machines.
    Motorcycles in 1911 were tagged as Model 7 machines.
    Motorcycles in 1912 were tagged as Model 8 machines.
    Motorcycles in 1913 were tagged as Model 9 machines.
    Motorcycles in 1914 were tagged as Model 10 machines.
    Motorcycles in 1915 were tagged as Model 11 machines.

Counting backward from 1909 would give us 1905 motorcycles tagged as Model 1.

Historical facts uncovered to date, have confirmed that as Harley's first year of production.
    Read "At The Creation".

And counting forward would give us 1954 motorcycles tagged as Model 50 machines !!!!

The folks who celebrated the 50th in 1954 knew EXACTLY what they were doing.
    Rick Morsher, aka Earl
    AMCA #1905

Comment

here is the picture dick was talking about,between 1954 and 1963 something happened,when did AMF take over?
      www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

and the bulletin from 1953

so what happened between 1954 and 1963?why would they need to change the date?
        www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

To the best of my knowledge AMF took over late in 1969. It was right around the model year change over I believe. I did also make it to the basement and looked through my crate of old photos and found the one I took in York sometime in the 80's of the same machine in the 60th anniversary photo. It has been obviously greatly restored though. Can scan and post if anyone wants. I was hoping to see the plaque at the front of the display with the description but it isn't visible in the photo. the plate on the front fender is the same one that reads 1903 and 1904 as in 63. Note that the plate on the 54 bulletin reads 1904 only. The plot thickens. Was there a 60th anniversary model? Also would be curious if anyone knows where the 63 photo was taken? To me at least it doesn't seem to have the polished look of most of the factory's photos.
          Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Originally posted by bmh View Post
            To the best of my knowledge AMF took over late in 1969. It was right around the model year change over I believe. I did also make it to the basement and looked through my crate of old photos and found the one I took in York sometime in the 80's of the same machine in the 60th anniversary photo. It has been obviously greatly restored though. Can scan and post if anyone wants. I was hoping to see the plaque at the front of the display with the description but it isn't visible in the photo. the plate on the front fender is the same one that reads 1903 and 1904 as in 63. Note that the plate on the 54 bulletin reads 1904 only. The plot thickens. Was there a 60th anniversary model? Also would be curious if anyone knows where the 63 photo was taken? To me at least it doesn't seem to have the polished look of most of the factory's photos.
            If January 1969 is late then so be it.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Here is part of the 1930 New Model Announcement in the June 1929 Enthusiast. 1930 minus 26 years = 1904 where I went to school. Even at this early date they are claimimg the first bike was built in the backyard shed.
              Last edited by Chris Haynes; 12-06-2008, 06:34 PM.
              Be sure to visit;

Comment

In August 1928 in the 1929 New Model Announcement they bost "HARLEY-DAVIDSON IS 25 YEARS OLD" Once again. 1929 - 25 = 04
                Be sure to visit;

Comment

Anybody have a copy of the 1923 Enthusiast with the 1924 New Model Announcement?
                  Be sure to visit;

Comment

How does the MoCo refute such evidence ?????

Comment

Truth is, there probably isn't ten people that care. I'm all for real history, but it won't happen. Is it really that important, an event that occured over 100 yrs ago? There has to be more important things to fret about than HD's claim on first year of production.
                      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

It seems to me that the ol' Harley saying "If I Had To Explain You Wouldn't Understand" comes to mind........... I think what's important to some may not be to others....
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Your right Cory. I expressed my opinion poorly and I'm sorry for that. But all the same, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for the H-D press release apologizing for 50 plus yrs of false claims. We are fortunate to have among our members scholars of history that work diligently to bring the truth to our attention. I am very interested in the history of the motorcycle, I just don't see the point in bashing The Motor company.
                          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I think your right about holding one's breath Kyle. A fella could run out of oxygen pretty quick waitin' for that press release... But I think if they could put out a release that indicated that the MotorCo. was wrong in '54 about the anniversary, they could have just as easily said that the folks in '54 were right!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

Milsco hosted a 50th anniversary party for H-D on November 21, 1953 ( a few months into the 1954 model year). H-D folks in attendace were: Wm Davidson, Gordon Davidson, Walter Davidson, william Harley, Harry Devine, Carl Swenson and many others. The menu consisted of: Cream of fresh mushrooms, roast prime rib of beef, au jus, pan roast potato,grilled whole tomato, hearts of romaine salad with thousand island dressing and ripe olive and rose radishes. Dessert was lemon meringue tart and coffeee.--Man O man that makes me hungry--Michael--6671

Comment

Mike

Originally posted by Paquette View Post
                                Milsco hosted a 50th anniversary party for H-D on November 21, 1953 ( a few months into the 1954 model year). H-D folks in attendace were: Wm Davidson, Gordon Davidson, Walter Davidson, william Harley, Harry Devine, Carl Swenson and many others. The menu consisted of: Cream of fresh mushrooms, roast prime rib of beef, au jus, pan roast potato,grilled whole tomato, hearts of romaine salad with thousand island dressing and ripe olive and rose radishes. Dessert was lemon meringue tart and coffeee.--Man O man that makes me hungry--Michael--6671
                                Mike,
                                How did the Milsco copy handbags turn out?,it was a red one that Brian borrowed from my collection.
                                Ken S., # 6457
                                1926- H-D BAF-Peashooter
                                1954-H-D Panhead

Comment

Working...
                                X