Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harley-Davidson's "Belated" or Correct (1904-1954) 50th Anniversary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley-Davidson's "Belated" or Correct (1904-1954) 50th Anniversary?

Apparently, the current Harley-Davidson Motor Co. is still having trouble understanding and coming to terms with its own history; specifically the reason why the 50th Anniversary was celebrated with the 1954 models.

Until recently modern Harley-Davidson, Inc. said that they didn't know the answer and that it was a mystery to them. But now that story has changed. In the Fall, 2008, issue of Harley-Davidson's Enthusiast magazine some amazing new reasons are given. It is now stated that the original family-owned Harley-Davidson Motor Co. back in 1953-54 forgot the right year and made a mistake. A mistake that was corrected in 1978.

Here's the actual text from that issue, page 14:

H-D's Belated 50th Anniversary

Anyone who has forgotten an anniversary can take solace that Harley-Davidson was a year late in celebrating its 50th, having equipped its 1954 models with this special logo on the front fender, which should have appeared on its 1953 models.

The company corrected its mistake by making the 1978 models "75th Anniversary" editions. All subsequent Anniversary editions motorcycles have remained consistent, including the 85th (1988), 90th (1993), 95th (1998), 100th (2003) and 105th (2008).

[snip]

So was there hell to pay for being a year late in commemorating the 50th? We can only assume it was smoothed over with flowers and box of chocolates.
    This appears to be an attempt to slam the door shut on this continuing nagging problem for the modern Motor Company. Significantly, there is no name associated with these statements nor any evidence supporting them. To the dedicated Harley enthusiast this will not pass the "smell test." Cynical types might even call it a flimsy cover-up attempt.

All of the original evidence that I have seen and examined from when the actual events occurred dating from 1901 onwards, shows that the Harley-Davidson Motor Co. did NOT make a mistake in 1954. Nor did they forget. On the contrary, they correctly remembered. The 50th Anniversary medallion was placed on the 1954 models because people at Harley-Davidson and around Milwaukee at that time knew what was rediscovered again in recent years. That Bill Harley and the Davidsons did NOT have a marketable motorcycle ready in 1903 or a machine worthy of their name in that year. Nor did they sell any bikes in 1903 because there wasn't yet a proper Harley-Davidson motorcycle in existence.

Original evidence shows that the FIRST real Harley-Davidson motorcycle prototype wasn't finished until around September of 1904, and that bikes were not produced for sale or marketed until 1905. That version of events backed up with original documentation and evidence has appeared in several books and articles published since 2001.

Quite correctly, therefore, the 50th Anniversary medallion was put on the 1954 bikes because the older generation back in 1953-54 remembered or knew that 1904 marked the actual correct year during which the founders finished the first real "Harley-Davidson" motorcycle.

That is a logical, reasonable, and simple explanation. All of the known period evidence supports that time-line. In that version of events we do not have to blame or disrespect the original Harley-Davidson Motor Co. of 1953-54 for having "forgotten" or making a "mistake" that had to be "corrected" by AMF/Harley-Davidson. After all, who would better know the truth? Guys in 1953-54 who had worked closely with H-D's founders and whose own memories went back to the early days, or AMF guys in 1978?

The correct year that Harley-Davidson built and marketed their first motorcycles is of fundamental importance for everyone who loves Harley-Davidson or is interested in American motorcycle history and correct model year chronology. However, in recent years modern Harley-Davidson has come up with its own origin story with a radically different early model chronology from the one outlined above. From what I can gather, modern Harley-Davidson's version is not based on original evidence or proof. Rather, they have attempted to fit square pegs into round holes as they continue to prop up old advertising myths first spun back in the teens. Now, as people continue to point out embarrassing discrepancies such as the 1904-1954 50th Anniversary, the modern firm finds it necessary to accuse the original family-owned Motor Company of screwing things up!

How lame can it get?

For the record, here's the current "official" early chronology from the Harley-Davidson, Inc. website as of November 26, 2008. They make some mighty big claims here for 1903 and 1904. But where is the evidence or proof? Has anybody ever seen it?

1903* William S. Harley and Arthur Davidson make available to the public the first production Harley-Davidson® motorcycle. The bike was built to be a racer, with a 3-1/8 inch bore and 3-1/2 inch stroke. The factory in which they worked was a 10 x 15-foot wooden shed with the words "Harley-Davidson Motor Company" crudely scrawled on the door. Arthur's brother Walter later joins their efforts.

Henry Meyer of Milwaukee, a schoolyard pal of William S. Harley and Arthur Davidson, buys one of the 1903 models directly from the founders.

1904* The first Harley-Davidson Dealer, C.H. Lang of Chicago, IL, opens for business and sells one of the first three production Harley-Davidson motorcycles ever made.
    Herbert Wagner
    AMCA 4634
    =======
    The TRUE beginnings of the Harley-Davidson Motor Co.

Excellent post !! Just plain excellent !!!!! Paps

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyCreation View Post
      The factory in which they worked was a 10 x 15-foot wooden shed with the words "Harley-Davidson Motor Company" crudely scrawled on the door. [/i]
      I'd heard a rumor that the original shed never even had their names on it.
      Who knows? This must drive a historian like you crazy Herb. I'm no historian and it even makes me shake my head side to side.
      ------------
      Steve
      AMCA #7300

Comment

Well the way the company is run now nothing will surprise me !!!! Too many models, to much chrome ,they have become the GM of MCs and if they are not careful will end up the same way !!!!

Comment

Guys,
          I am led to believe that in that same Enthusiast it was ststed that HD had or was in the process of taking control of the MV / Cagiva company.
          Can anybody elaborate on this and if it is fact is this going to be shades of the last Italian episode.
          Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
          A.M.C.A. # 2777
          Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Sorry it should be "stated" not "ststed".
            Might make more sense now
            Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
            A.M.C.A. # 2777
            Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

Awesome thread Herb! Can it be that they believe that they can't change the damage done? I'm certain somebody in the Company's ranks is aware of the "fringe" opinion. Certainly it has had to have crossed somebody's mind to question AMF factory history. But is it just a case of this is what we got and we're gonna stick to it? I mean not acknowledging Bruce Linsday's legendary ride to Milwaukee is just one example of how they are more worried about the sales of shiney new machines and "motor" accessories than they are of Company history! A well worded clarification from the factory could clear things up. It's not that much of a stretch for them to edit the history book. But then again, what about all those t-shirts? They would all have misprints! Spread the word folks the truth couldn't be any plainer!
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio-Rider View Post
                I'd heard a rumor that the original shed never even had their names on it.
                Who knows? This must drive a historian like you crazy Herb. I'm no historian and it even makes me shake my head side to side.
                Here's a couple of photos to compare.......
                Attached Files
                Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

I'm so confused.

I was "raised" to believe that the missing year was due to a lost civilian PRODUCTION YEAR during WW2.

Revisionism is a disease.

...Cotten
                  Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-26-2008, 06:38 PM.
                  AMCA #776
                  Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I also remember hearing that the 1904 model that was on display in the Gott museum at the York plant is a total recreation based on photographs. I will have to try to find some old photos of that machine on display as I remember the plaque in front of it stating that 1904 was the first official year of production and that 3 machines were built that year. I think I have a photo of that in a box somewhere.
                    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

this original pic shows that not only was there a bike built in 1903 ,but it was also built in bavaria by german craftsmen.
                      Last edited by jurassic; 11-26-2008, 09:03 PM.
                      www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Who wore very advanced clothing for that day.
                        Be sure to visit;
                        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

So THAT's the original Eric Von Zipper!

...Cotten
                          Wikipedia quote: (The zipper) culminated in 1914 with Gideon Sundback's invention of the "Hookless Fastener No. 2", the first version of the zipper without any major design flaws and essentially indistinguishable from modern zippers.

Lonnie was just poking fun at Fusiak,... right?
                          Last edited by T. Cotten; 11-26-2008, 09:29 PM.
                          AMCA #776
                          Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Dare I say photoshop???
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

hey, come on now,this is the real deal.and yes this gentleman did in fact patent the "zipper" .
                              www.motorcyclecannonball.com

Comment

Working...
                              X