AMCA Verification of Member Data??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Robert,

Sorry, gharper is pretty vague, so as Richard stated it's Gene Harper, thank you Richard. Also my ebay name too, so no hiding here. Sorry if it sounds like bitching, but it's not. I read this forum every day and usually resist the temptation to chime in because I have way too many other things to be doing instead and I don't like to bitch but I do like to have constructive discussions. I spent about an hour writing and editing my post because I didn't want to come off as an ass but wanted to make a few points, sorry if you missed those between all my bitching! If on the other hand I was just bitching, I could have typed a few mouthfuls of crap and posted it, then returned to Judge Judy or something stupid like that.

For what it's worth, I'm truly dedicated to the AMCA. I joined when I was 13 years old (that was 1973 so do the math) and have every issue of the magazine from day 1. I faithfully read all the board minutes and ponder their meaning. I've seen major changes over the decades, some good some bad. I'm truly concerned for the future of our organization and anything that pushes members away is a bad thing in my opinion. So, I hope this works out better than it started......

GENE HARPER IN ARVADA COLORADO (for full disclosure)

Cannonball 2018 #31 by the way...

Comment

I was not trying to get personal, just observation.
      AMCA #3149
      http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

A club (any car or bike club) itself will always have the most up to date roster information. At a minimum the address has to be correct for every person or the member will not receive club magazine mailing. Most clubs ask members to update their info on renewals so while its never 100%, its the best available.

No 3rd party such as PCI will be successful obtaining personal data voluntarily that comes close to the accuracy of club roster data.

Rosters do not have to be a complicated process. Simpler is better. I just received a roster from an 8000 member car club I'm in. Data is simple and its sorted 3 ways to make it easy to find what you want. By name, by model owned, and by state. The data already exists within club, only cost is formatting, printing and mailing every 2 years. Another smaller club I'm in has the roster on the website available to members only with a changing password every two months. This can be accessed anywhere, anytime with a computer or smartphone and cell service. Or downloaded and printed in PDF, Excel or CSV format. Once downloaded it can be sorted anyway the member wants.
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
          Close to $100 for a club roster of members. Oh, I forgot you get pictures and stories of said members. We get that in the club magazine every other month. What a crock!
          I fully agree with Dr. Sprocket. Like a dutiful club member, I made the call and endured the data update that I could make on my own on the web site. I said no to the inevitable 'used car salesman' sales pitch of course, but after hanging up the phone I couldn't help but think about how insulting that process was and how far the the focus of this club meandered. I guess I'm just showing my age....

As for loosing money on the roster (if that actually did happen), as a businessman my advice would be rather than fleece the membership for the shortfall, how about dismissing the board members that made such a poor decision?
          Bill Pedalino
          Huntington, New York
          AMCA 6755

Comment

I was surprised at the mailing (solicitation) and won't participate with it. I pay dues and get a magazine showing events past and present as well as advertisements. Maybe I'm getting old too at 58 and have been a member since the mid 80's. I hope our Club leadership doesn't offer our info out to outside agencies without permission, or was this the way around that?

Comment

So after thinking this through and gauging others comments I took a pass and called and cancelled my order for the soft copy book. I agree with others above that there's a better and less expensive way to provide network access or sell a very simple book like the previous one that used to be offered by the club.

One thing I can say is that I didn't get a hard sell during my first contact - and no trouble cancelling my order calling the 8009821590 number for customer service. I did tell her why I was
              no longer interested.

I think the club leadership can come up with a better solution for the membership.
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

Mr. Kizer FYI. He was not correct that it has been 19 years since our last club directory. I am seating here at my desk with these copies before me. 1982 (my first year in the club) contrary to Cornerstone having me listed as 1984. 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011, and our last directory 2013, four years ago. Almost every two years. A simple roster of our Club members. Richard L. Ostrander
                DrSprocket

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Kizer View Post
                  Wiley, that keeps your information from showing up in the directory.
                  Thanks.

One more question.

PCI already has our information since they sent me a post card. So I now understand they will not publish my information.

PCI wont be contacting me again either by mail, email or phone to sell me anything, correct?

Thanks in advance

Comment

What I don't get here is the cost? How much could it possible cost to list the members in a little book. You'd think this thing had gold leaf bindings. Bob L
                    AMCA #3149
                    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

I'm with Robbie and tossed mine. Imo, the old roster was just fine with our paid membership due's.

What I don't understand is the update. If you paid your due's, then your on file.
                      AMCA #765

Comment

I had nothing to update, no reason to call, so I tossed the card. Done.

Comment

Having read here about this latest controversy, I'm with Doc and Gene.
                          Trouble is, if this goes according to form (as with the delay in receiving club magazines,) I'll probably get my sales pitch call card about the same time as those who are on the other side of the fence have received their ordered book !!
                          A simple print roster published in alternating order formats as in the past is surely adequate. (I would get one and not care how long it took to get here!)
                          Also, I could easily provide any needed contact info. update either on the AMCA Forum (which I read regularly) or at dues renewal.
                          As for Mr. Luland, whom I have not met but also been slagged by for a previous tongue-in-cheek remark - What is "observational" about "these Ding Dongs" ...... unless it's a line from a 'doo-wop' oldie!?!
                          Full disclosure:
                          John Crawford (member since early 80's)
                          Vancouver, Canada (land of socialized mail delivery?)

Comment

Originally posted by RichO View Post
                            Mr. Kizer FYI. He was not correct that it has been 19 years since our last club directory. I am seating here at my desk with these copies before me. 1982 (my first year in the club) contrary to Cornerstone having me listed as 1984. 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011, and our last directory 2013, four years ago. Almost every two years. A simple roster of our Club members. Richard L. Ostrander
                            We should stay with that instead of letting some business try to soak us 100 bucks for a hardbound directory. A hardbound is not easy to stuff in your bag when you are on the road.
                            Be sure to visit;
                            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The BMWMOA anonymous book is the best travel help. the listings do not have a name, just a location and phone number along with coded offerings by the person who's number it is. Things such as merely meeting to talk motorcycles, or a place to work, tools available, trailer available, camping spot, etc, etc. There is also a dealer directory. And it is the size of a small paperback. It is also annual and free to members which number about three or four times the membership of the AMCA.
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Liking this format Rubone suggests!

Also just a side note - if the last AMCA directory was $15 and the club lost 50% on it. There's plenty of room to mulitply the price of that same format to today's costs and make sure the club net is 0 or just a bit higher. JMHO, I think it would still be lower than $115 for a "non gold plated" version of the same directory.

Now - if one received a CD/DVD, along with soft bound hard copy, and online access I think that package would be a great package to consider. If that was $100 I would find some value there.
                                Maybe the package should be offered or discounted to multi-year memberships etc. Just throwing out ideas.

I don't think the board's intent to provide an updated roster is bad - it's just the execution. I think there was plenty of time to do member surveys and to use the AMCA magazine to communicate the plan - show packages, etc rather than relying on a single sales rep pitch perhaps. It's OK to package with merchandise, it would be better to actually have a visual not
                                and ad hoc description.

The whole project now has a sour note due to the seemingly "rush job" to get it out on some arbitrary time line. To me there must have been plenty more time to get it planned out and executed right. What's another year without an updated directory? As it is the delivery wasn't until next June anyway I believe. So in essence a poor launch.

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                                The BMWMOA anonymous book is the best travel help. the listings do not have a name, just a location and phone number along with coded offerings by the person who's number it is. Things such as merely meeting to talk motorcycles, or a place to work, tools available, trailer available, camping spot, etc, etc. There is also a dealer directory. And it is the size of a small paperback. It is also annual and free to members which number about three or four times the membership of the AMCA.
                                Last edited by rbenash; 06-02-2017, 04:30 PM.
                                Ray
                                AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                                X