No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Harley and 1911Wagner Fall Creek Wis.--incorporated in 1906. I'll let those boys from St.Paul get ahead then I'll Show them What Milwaukee has to offer!This photo soon to be on Fall Creek Website!

Comment

• That photo is phenomenal Duffey!!! Photos like that just can tell a story of their own. Those were simpler times and just get my ol' head spinning on time travel!!! Thanks again for your offerings lately. They are greatly appreciated!!!
      Cory Othen
      Membership#10953

Comment

• amca picture adjusted.jpg

Along the same vein, this is the picture I just had scanned for use in the advertising/brochure for our Road Run this June. This picture came with my Harley DL and was a dealer just South of Boston in Revere, Ma. The dealership definitely existed in the 1930s, because that's when the former owner of my 1931 DL bought the bike (used) in 1933. He maintained his relationship with this dealership for years and acquired this photo from them. FYI, he owned the bike until 2010, when I bought it from him. I'm just the third owner.

Anyway, the scan reveals all kinds of cool details! Check out the PowerPlus sign on the left wall! And the oil sign near the door.

Love these dealer pictures! The details really are, as stated above, amazing!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

• Nice photo Sirhr. I'm jumping back to Exelsior .This is a photo sent from my small home town Lone Tree Ia. to Glenn Wahl of amish town Kalona.Glenn saved all things old and cool and left it to Kalona[Quilt Capital] There is a museum and festival with Glenn as the center.This card says:I'm sending you your postcard because I can't send mine now.
          Last edited by duffeycycles; 12-22-2012, 10:42 AM.

Comment

• You could go to the local photogragher and get 6 postcards all the same image for 5cents or 6 different images for 10cents Often people would have their photo taken and send them to friends.The man on the Ex is Glenn Wahl. His brother is on the Sears.---1913

Comment

• If I'm not mistaken the old mercantile building now houses a bar I can't ride by when I'm thirsty. Operated by Big Jim Ganyon of Pro Wrestling fame. Jim's a good guy, pretty bartenders, cold beverages, not uncommon today to see motorcycles parked out front. Most of the motorcycles are decades newer than the machines in that picture.
              Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

• billfordandcliff.jpg

Marine Staff Sgt. friend of mine who goes by "Switchblade" (he'es now a med student, done with active Marines)... sent me this picture with the attached caption:

"Back before there were helmets, men rode bikes on roads named Firestone Blvd in LA and raced on weekends in clubs named things like the Yellow Jackets when their clubs were blacklisted from racing. Nothing like the heh heh heh OB's!

Cliff, the one in front was killed by a car on Firestone Blvd in 1943.

Bill, my great uncle died from gunfire from a Me262 as it made a run from stern forward on his B17. As the aircraft's commander, but the lowest ranking officer for the recon mission for a Command group recon sorty, it is known that Bill's last words were heard over the coms as,"Get ready men, here come the jets".
                One day I will own a bike like Cliff;s, but I want a knuck in it. 18's, fishtail's flat bars and chopped to hell just like the one in the picture."

I asked him if it was ok to post the picture here and he replied with more info.

"My great uncle Bill was the original Captain of the aircraft, the main pilot. On that fateful day the command group wanted to run a command recon to see exactly what was going on. The men who survived that day were POW's for a bit, returned home and went their way, but not before allowing the family to know the at the full details of Bill's death at the sweeping run those guns of the Me262 laid down on them. I can only hear the fire of Bill's dual 50's as he probably ran them long before taking the one deadly round that ended his life that day.

While serving in OEF VII, AECOM, a contractor who dealt with weapons platforms made two very wicked set ups for the SOCOM. I had the pleasure of hearing those. One was dual M240B's. The other was Dual M2 50's. When the guy opened up those fifty's, all I could hear was what Bill heard when he was defending their plane from that Me262.

The details of Cliff's death at the hands of a cager were told to me by my granny. She was at the time in '39, Grampa's girl. Aunt Anne was Bill's girl for a while. Auntie Floy was Cliff's girl. Bill and Cliff rode together with a crazy bunch who later became the Boozefighters and raced as the Yellow Jackets later on. The story to me was that they all hung out on Firestone Blvd at a few places and pretty much raised a little hell running the bikes up and down in a few match races. These choppers were the true chops and cut downs as they were called then as you know. 18" wheels and rubber for speed, and if it wasn't really needed(bags and stuff) it was gone. I have a photo of the bikes somewhere in storage in a frame that have the fenders in back removed and the front fenders chopped and Cliff's bike as it was before he got killed with upswept straight cut pipes, welds and all.

It would not surprise me if there were a few who ran those same streets, but them guys are far and few between these days"

Thought you guys would be interested... we rarely get the background behind some of the pictures we post and enjoy. Thanks, Switchblade!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

• 1908 Marsh Metz--MM

Pull up your pants and ride!

Comment

• 1909 Marsh Metz-MM. Whatever happened to this adventure?

Comment

• Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                      1909 Marsh Metz-MM. Whatever happened to this adventure?
                      He might have had trouble with the wooden shoes.
                      Eric Smith
                      AMCA #886

Comment

• http://laughingindian.com/
                        http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                        A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

• Danny, which one is you in that photo..?

(from Rooster, aka Bigincher)

Comment

• Sirhr likes storefronts .I'll bet he would like to step back 100 years and go inside and look around!The White tire on left, the 92 MPH poster on right [1911]the photos of bikes lined up,the Corbin speedos,gauntlets,leggins,the bikes etc!Newspapers-The unknown herald.INDIAN DEALER
                            Last edited by duffeycycles; 12-26-2012, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X