No announcement yet.

old photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found your thoughts on tire colors pretty interesting Sirhr! Grey is making a lot of sense now. I believe that my Powerplus came with it's original front tire. It is for sure more of a grey than a white.

Oh, and those Detroit Hendersons are downright awesome!!! Thanks Duffey!!!
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

• http://www.todayifoundout.com/index....bber-is-white/
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

• My original 1916 model K Indian has the original grey tires on it. Tom #381

Comment

• 1910 Yale This is another of my Duffey Cycles Tshirt images.One of the best postcards that i have.'10 had the funky frame bend behind the neck. Unusual to have the person behind instead of strateling the bike .This photo was from Wyoming Iowa-[near Anamosa] same as the EX in the water.ENJOY

Comment

• Exactly... and when I say they are not "white" like today's pure white 'show tires' it's because the early vulcanization processes did make tires a grey shade. Today, the 'bleach white' that people put on T-Tires and similar is just not right. A light grey would be the result of the manufacturing process.

Thanks for the reference on Crayola! Very interesting. Especially since Crayola had another big connection to the early car industry... apparently the wood dovetailed boxes that crayons came in during the early days... were perfect for coil boxes. And the company eventually found itself making tens of millions of wood coil boxes for trembler coils having landed the 'contract' to make all the Model T coil boxes. With 4 boxes per Model T... it probably made them a lot more money than crayons.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

• Originally posted by c.o. View Post
              Great photo Chuck!!! Do you think the "other" brands were put on either side on purpose? That photo is definitely post 1910!!!
              I'm thinking it's discrimination.......... I asked the guy if he could look for any other photos that his grandfather may have had
              Chuck
              AMCA Member#1848

Comment

• not sure if this one is up,,,,probably,but ya never know....

Comment

• Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
                  Exactly... and when I say they are not "white" like today's pure white 'show tires' it's because the early vulcanization processes did make tires a grey shade. Today, the 'bleach white' that people put on T-Tires and similar is just not right. A light grey would be the result of the manufacturing process.

Sirhr
                  I agree, but I went through this fantastic thread and you do see some very white tires in some of the photos. I have what I believe is the original tire on my circa 1916 Rogers sidecar and it was white. The reason I asked this question to begin with is because I have seen ancient tire adverts that proclaim white tires, and cinnamon tires. Also, the famous Goodyear Blue Streak which was a white tire with blue stripe in the middle of the tread. Granted, black and white photography of the day is hard to judge for color but I just wondered if cinnamon tires were distinguishable from gray tires. Oh yeah, I can attest that Coker white tires loose their pure white color over time.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

• 101 in the snow? very cool :-) thanks Gary

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck#1848 View Post
                      I'm thinking it's discrimination..........
                      Definitely!!

Originally posted by gary.h View Post
                      not sure if this one is up,,,,probably,but ya never know....
                      Great....... now you got me thinking about rigging up a snowplow!!!

Originally posted by exeric View Post
                      I agree, but I went through this fantastic thread and you do see some very white tires in some of the photos. I have what I believe is the original tire on my circa 1916 Rogers sidecar and it was white. The reason I asked this question to begin with is because I have seen ancient tire adverts that proclaim white tires, and cinnamon tires. Also, the famous Goodyear Blue Streak which was a white tire with blue stripe in the middle of the tread. Granted, black and white photography of the day is hard to judge for color but I just wondered if cinnamon tires were distinguishable from gray tires. Oh yeah, I can attest that Coker white tires loose their pure white color over time.
                      At risk of derailing this thread with a "modern" photo... Eric, I was wondering if this would be close to the cinnamon you mentioned or not even close?

Cory Othen
                      Membership#10953

Comment

• ....seeking retribution.

Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

• A few Henderson pictures, and the white tire on my Rogers car. I want to add that I really miss Jurassic's posts and photos here. He's the one who started this thread and his insights, and empirical knowledge from working on the most interesting motorcycles in the world has been very valuable to me and many others.
                          Eric Smith
                          AMCA #886

Comment

• The original racing Firestones that were stolen from Berry Brown at Davenport were white.If you look at my postcards the 1910 era Exelsiors really look white next to all others in same photos.I hope you saw the Yale that I posted [zoom in on this one]-----Here is one with Muskegon Michigan flags multi-makes

Comment

• Originally posted by exeric View Post

A few Henderson pictures, and the white tire on my Rogers car. I want to add that I really miss Jurassic's posts and photos here. He's the one who started this thread and his insights, and empirical knowledge from working on the most interesting motorcycles in the world has been very valuable to me and many others.
                              havent been here in moons,,what happened to jurassic???

Comment

• Awesome photo's guys keep em coming. I was pushing a Yale and a Dayton around to day! of course they were pallet jack's :-) oh well, probably as close as I will come to those awesome brands. Great looking side care you've got there Eric, nice!

Comment

Working...
                                X