No announcement yet.

Camel Back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tommo!!! That's one great story and it's pretty obvious that the bike belongs with you. I'm also impressed that you are going to leave it alone. Your reasons for doing so are most admirable. That certainly was a lot of typing and I relished every word!

Red Fred!! Very cool story as well! I'd definitely be interested in hearing more about this C.C. Hopkins that you speak of.....
    Cory Othen
    Membership#10953

Comment

Thank you Tommo and Red Fred for keeping and sharing the history that is such a big part of our attraction to the old machines.
      Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

I have to ad my .02 cents to this also Tommo you have always had some very interesting things to share with us IF ever get the chance to get to your neck of the woods I would plan a visit and Red Fred I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more about you guys and the SFMC thanks again to the both of you
        Chuck
        AMCA Member#1848

Comment

Man, our SFMC Historian/Librarian is on top of it. He has already sent me a list of references in an email this morning (I only asked him last night about this). Afraid my computer skills are lacking though, and all I really know how to do is cut & paste small sections. Wish I could forward his entire email. For now, I'll past this;
          1901 - Here's a link to the Horeseless Age -> http://books.google.com/books?id=48F...page&q&f=false
          Hopefully it works. If anyone is better at this computer stuff, I can forward the email to you, and you can post it here.
          Many Thanks, RF.

Comment

Red Fred!!! Check your private messages.....
            Cory Othen
            Membership#10953

Comment

Here's the rest of the links...

http://books.google.com/books?id=tge...ed=0CC4Q6AEwAQ

http://books.google.com/books?id=XCD...ed=0CCcQ6AEwAA

You can zoom in on this one. Pretty interesting stuff! http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...06/ed-1/seq-7/
              Cory Othen
              Membership#10953

Comment

Cory Othen
                Membership#10953

Comment

I wonder if the new owner would want to read this thread. It's clear by what's been discussed that the Chandler bike is not what it's claimed to be.

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/publi...aleSectionNo=2
                  Cory Othen
                  Membership#10953

Comment

I've being doing some research today and found this advert in the 9th April 1902 edition of Motor Cycling magazine.
                    Is this an ad for Indian in England and if it is it's strange that the name Indian is not mentioned.
                    Your thoughts gentlemen
                    Attached Files
                    Peter Thomson, a.k.a. Tommo
                    A.M.C.A. # 2777
                    Palmerston North, New Zealand.

Comment

it's a marketing ploy.the name indian sounded too savage for the refined englishman.here in the states we were just a few years removed from massacring the indians.imagine how over blown the tales were that went overseas.or better put how well would a cycle called aboriginal sell.
                      rob ronky #10507
                      www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I don't know if "political correctness" was as prevalent then as it is now. I can say I've been surprised at some of the racial comments I've read in the early magazines. It is peculiar that a brand name wasn't attached to that British ad. It sure looks like an early camelback. I noticed that the motor-bicycle didn't have a name either. I'd be curious to know whether the ads for four wheel vehicles simply said "Car" or "Auto"....
                        Cory Othen
                        Membership#10953

Comment

Cory,
                          It's called a "MILLION"
                          A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Tommo,

It looks like I should make an appointment with an eye doctor!!!!
                            Cory Othen
                            Membership#10953

Comment

camel back

Tommo: The picture sure looks like the early Thoroughbred or Reading Standard but I am not sure when the first one was made. Tom wilcock #381

Comment

Tom,
                                seeing there's interest here's the Million
                                Attached Files
                                A.M.C.A. # 2777

Comment

Working...
                                X