Cadmium plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its only 'original' once, Folks,...

It ain't never going to be the real thing again.

So how much time and money are you going to throw at faking it? And for whose opinion?

The art is to make it authentic, and if its a living machine, you better be able to touch it up!

.....Cotten

AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I agree with Tom, that color of painted sheet metal, cadmium plated, and parkerized parts is totally subjective at this point in contemporary (revisionist) vision. I didn't really get what he was saying years ago, but I am slowly coming around to a position of preserving what still exists of 'genuine' finish. Restoration is a world unto itself, and I appreciate that when there is no option because creating a window of what 'was' is also important. I have many friends that have 'restored' bikes that don't get ridden because they don't want to put wear on them. That may be okay for a 'pioneer' bike that isn't practical to ride, but later bikes that have decent horsepower, and adequate brakes should be ridden to keep them young. If you have ever owned a second house that doesn't get used regularly, you know what I mean.
      Eric Smith
      AMCA #886

Comment

Originally posted by exeric View Post
        .... preserving what still exists of 'genuine' finish....
        But everything else, Eric,...

We fake!

(I used to do it for a living.)

....Cotten
        AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks for the input, I am still trying to figure out which way to go.
          I have a more urgent issue right now, my generator has quit charging. Armature, field coils and cut out all check good. When the generator was tested before I disassembled would not charge. Any suggestions from anyone?
          Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rlassiter View Post
            ..Any suggestions from anyone?
            Thanks
            Certainly, Roger!

IndianFrank@yahoo.com

(Since he does not participate here, I encourage you to email him direct, and blame me of course..)

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-31-2024, 08:15 PM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

I hope this isn't too far off the topic. Were all the grease fittings parkerized during the war? By the time they built my 1945 Chief EU they should have long run out of cadmium. MY thought is that the grease fittings were parkerized. Anyone now for sure?

Comment

Jim, I finished my '45 EU back in 2022. I parkerized the grease fittings, along with nearly everything bare or formerly plated. The only thing that is "bright" are the stainless spokes and the chrome headlight bezel, the amp meter bezel, taillight bezel. The oil lines and fittings are cad, nuts and small bolts, i.e. cam cover fasteners, small bolts on the cases, primary cover, etc are also cad.
                mostly for cosmetic appeal, rather than accurate "correctness". Admittedly, I used my own judgement. I have NOT had the bike officially judged, but I did receive an award (best American) at Dixon in 2022, just because I entered the local display of bikes at the Dixon event.
                My bike was actually in the corral where the bikes are offered for sale, I was asked if I wanted to have it "judged" for the bikes not officially entered (since the AMCA changed how bikes are entered for "official" recognition). I'm happy with it, not trying to meet someone else's expectations.
                Not at all trophy seeking, but I do want to measure up with my peers, in terms of accuracy and curb appeal. Perfection is subjective.

Roger... C2K thumbnail_IMG-6235.jpg
                i

Comment

That is stunning, Roger ! The minimalist war time treatment made civilian Chiefs an under-appreciated and beautiful motorcycle.
                  Eric Smith
                  AMCA #886

Comment

Working...
                  X