Cadmium plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadmium plating

Hello fellow Indian enthusiast. I’m still having to use the practice post because I can’t figure out how to get the other site to come up, please forgive me.
    I just wanted to see if anyone had tried to cad plate parts and pieces at home. If so did it work good, was it expensive and was it worth the trouble?
    The area where I live does not have anything available nor have I found any neighboring states that offer this service. I would like to try it if possible.
    Thanks for any help. INDIAN the worlds greatest motocycle !!!!!!!!
    Roger Lassiter

Full disclosure i have NOT tried this but if I was going to I would consider Caswell Coating. com kits.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Paul. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with home plating.
      I see that you have a 46 Chief also. That’s a good looking machine
      ​​​​​​ Roger

Comment

There are few true cadmium platers around because it is so toxic and heavily regulated. Most that want Cad will have to locate and ship parts to a plater. It will be very expensive.
        Very common though are zinc platers and many in the restoration industry select zinc as a replacement due to low cost and availability. Zinc doesn't have the corrosion resistance of cad but the way antique bikes and cars are used and kept, it is not necessary.
        Silver zinc or zinc chromate can be made to look like cadmium for all but the most discriminating eye. It can appear on the dull side or more shiny. Need to discuss with plater what you prefer. I'd try going the route of finding a zinc plater before using the Caswell Copy Cad kit as you might find it less expensive and no hassle.
        Jason Zerbini
        Near Pittsburgh PA (Farm Country)
        Allegheny Mountain Chapter http://amcaamc.com/

Comment

Thanks so much Jason for the reply. I will look further into my options and see what would be best. Don’t want to just switch out my original pieces with aftermarket pieces already plated.
          Maybe I can find a business somewhere that will do it. Thanks
          Roger Lassiter

Comment

Originally posted by Skirted View Post
            ...Silver zinc or zinc chromate can be made to look like cadmium for all but the most discriminating eye. ...
            I'm all for faking it, Skirted!

Patinating zinc is pretty easy. (But I wouldn't pay to have it re-plated before I distressed it, when other coatings look more real.)

Original cad will have darkened over the decades. It its fresh and bright, its a guarantee its fake.

It takes an artist to make anything look authentic, or keep the real thing authentic.
            Everybody else tosses it in the acid bath.

...Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Roger;

I have never dealt with him; but on page 74 of the latest club magazine is an advertisement by Plymouth Plating Works Inc.
              734-453-15?? don@plymouthplating.com ??? Not sure if its just my copy or but difficult to read, at least for me.

Additionally from another site I found these two sites that people gave a good report:

Sun Glo Plating Clearwater,FL

Capital Plating Tucson, AZ

Again I have no presonal experience with any of the above but, it MAY be a starting point.
              Last edited by PaulCDF; 03-01-2024, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Paul, thanks for the suggestions. I will contact the places and see what happens. Appreciate your help.
                Roger

Comment

I get my Cadmium plating done at Van Nuys Plating in Van Nuys, CA. UPS comes to their door. Yes, it is expensive. Their work is flawless. If you want you machine to look great don't skimp on plating.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Thanks so much Chris. I have several businesses to check with and I will definitely put them on the list.

Comment

I have been using Plymouth Plating for years and they are very reasonable with their prices, fast turnaround and do not loose parts. I encouraged them to run an ad in the AMCA magazine so my fellow restoration artists and friends would have someone reliable and honest to send your parts to.
                      Carl
                      http://www.carlscyclesupply.com

Comment

I’ve used Billmark plating in Fort Worth Tx for many years. Very reasonable in price and I’ve always gotten back everything I’ve sent. They chemical dip everything but I suggest prepping before sending with a power wire brush or media blasting. I don’t believe their plating stays bright as long as original parts did but that’s par for the course with anything these days.
                        Also if you do opt to use zinc the rougher the surface the less shiny it appears so a course media blast will make it appear less like a hardware store bolt.

Comment

...my own experience with Caswell's for nickel was blah, can't recommend them. My own opinion only, your mileage may vary!!!
                          Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

I used Eastwoods kit many years ago for some things on my 46' Chief, would not use it again. I would send out to a pro.
                            #7558 Take me on and you take on the whole trailer park!

Comment

I bought a can of Eastwood spray bomb cad paint. Looks less like cad than generic flat silver paint. Save your money.

Comment

Working...
                              X