No announcement yet.

Wet sumping question/hard to kick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just saw your post Peter. I hope you're feeling better.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

I just went to baseline the carb adjustments and was surprised what I found. The low-speed screw was only 7/8 of a turn open from seated. The high-speed screw was 1-7/8 turns open from seated. The baseline adjustments mentioned in the book are 4 and 1-1/2 turns, respectively. So the low-speed is set far leaner than the baseline, yet the plugs still fouled at idle. Has anyone seen adjustments this far away from the baseline?

Comment

Lipdog!

Please make certain that your LS needle is 3.5" long, the spring in the knob is on top of the needle, and the lift spring collar is in place with the flat side down.

I send M344s out set at three and a half turns on the LS, and one and a half on the HS, but that assumes a sealed manifold assembly.

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
          Lipdog!

Please make certain that your LS needle is 3.5" long, the spring in the knob is on top of the needle, and the lift spring collar is in place with the flat side down.

....Cotten
          Can I just unscrew it to see? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipdog View Post
            Can I just unscrew it to see? Thanks.
            You will need a screwdriver, Lipdog!

...Cotten
            PS: Here the collar is called a "spring seat".
            Attached Files
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-16-2019, 09:09 AM.
            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post
              You will need a screwdriver, Lipdog!
              ...and be prepared for the little spring loaded ball to go flying if you're not careful! (...don't ask me how I know.)
              Pisten Bully is Harry Roberts in Vermont.

Comment

Originally posted by pisten-bully View Post
                ...and be prepared for the little spring loaded ball to go flying if you're not careful! (...don't ask me how I know.)
                I usually have to weld out the LS detente ball, Harry!

Only if its frozen, of course...

The choke detente always makes an escape.

....Cotten
                Attached Files
                Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-16-2019, 11:27 AM.
                AMCA #776

Comment

Starting a new thread on the carb question...

Comment

I checked the bike again and it definitely wet sumps. Can that be normal for a newly rebuilt bike? I like the idea of a valve to shut the oil supply while the bike is sitting. Does anyone have a part number/thread size for a valve?

Comment

I like the advice of PRG above:

"(G)etting a kiwi ez drain and a dedicated 5 quart oil container and draining off after a ride if this machine is to sit at all. As that size container permits all the oil to be drained off
                      , no measuring required when the next ride comes around, just pour it in and go."

Simple clean, effective No clouds No worries.

Have you reached out to your builder? What does he say??

Comment

Yeah I can do that and it’s a good interim solution. But I have to imagine these bikes shouldn’t normally do this if the pump is right. I got about a half quart after sitting for a week. I’ll try to get the pump right sooner or later.

Comment

Originally posted by Lipdog View Post
                          ..I like the idea of a valve to shut the oil supply while the bike is sitting...
                          You'll need one of these, Jeff!

....Cotten
                          Attached Files
                          AMCA #776

Comment

Ask you builder if he left the pump internal ball valve in place.That seal is the only thing that will stop flow from the tank while sitting,and many people leave it out,and just deal with leakage.
                            Tom

Comment

I don't know I am no expert on oil pumps (or anything mechanical) but consider, these bikes are seventy years old! There have been advances in oil pumps over the last 70 years or they would still be 'state of the art'.

I only changed my throttle to the RIGHT and installed a more modern front brake due to MY limitations as a rider and almost taking us 'into the weeds' (actually my neighbors
                              fence and parked car) a few times early on. My fault.

Crazy as it may sound I LOVE this old bike accept it as is, idiosyncrasies and all. That's part of the fun. Just be safe.

I only ride once or twice a week so my bike sits. PRG's advice makes a lot of sense to me. I had thought of cutting the oil intake line and splicing in some rubber oil tubing
                              that I could clamp with blunt forceps but upon reflection; LESS is more.

In the end the bike is yours to do as you feel is best for both of you.

Comment

So lets talk about the ball check, Folks.

The HDs made a fool of me;
                                The Indian aluminum pump doesn't give room for that. Its too primitive to have options, like piloting.

My Indian pump studies were all about flow and supposed pressure, and futile because of the temperature variable.
                                (I have some of Vern Goodwin's handwritten notes somewhere...)

The aluminum pump's simple ball seat can only be whacked, and that only makes it worse on a harley.
                                So does lapping.

Your rebuilder might have tried anyway.
                                I can only suggest a flat cut to refreshen it.

...Cotten
                                PS: Ironically, my HD burnishing technique worked best on aluminum. But I disavow it.
                                PPS: If anybody wants a piece o' PEEK to try to cut a seat insert, I'm mean enough to give it to you free.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-20-2019, 11:34 AM.
                                AMCA #776

Comment

Working...
                                X