No announcement yet.

1966 FLH Linkert DC7 Info Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because the general confusion between the first S&S carbs (based on DC design concepts) and the later L series carbs comes up so often . . .here is an illustration of the first model (G) and the later L series side by side.

S&S L Carb.JPG

Note the multitude of small, but significant changes -- and if you are familiar with DCs you'll see where the carbs cross over in concept, but differ considerably in parts and assembly (ie no separate throttle body, etc). But, notice that the CHOKE is separate on the first model. That's awfully similar to how Linkert designed things . . . There's also significant changes between float bowls across the several series of S&S carbs -- with three different needles and three different floats, plus two feed positions. In other words, there's a lot more to this story than S&S copying a DC. They didn't so much as copy as they did use the design concepts linkert had refined over a 50 year period. The smith's then refined it further and focused on what an L Series is known for -- crazy ass acceleration. Where most carbs NEED a pump; the L series just goes until the rider runs out of cojones. Conversely, when you hit the brakes they go hella lean and will spit fuel right at your chest/face through the vent stack -- something that never happens on a DC.

As to time frames and copying; let's set a few things even more straight:
    The early G or F carbs (gas or fuel) came out in late 1967 and saw slight mods through 1971.
    The L Series were sold 1972-1975 You will see these the most at swap meets and most often as GAL (1-7/8). GBL is much more rare and works tremendously well from 55 to 75 cubic inches. But, then as now, most HD guys buy the biggest carb they can. I'm presently running a GBL on a 78" motor without fuss.
    The Modified series (MGAL, MGL) was sold 1976 to 1980/81. Some say they were sold into the mid 1980s,but I don't have documentation on that.
    The Super D first appeared circa late '74 and the Super B went on sale in 1975. It is still sold today for an impressive $800. Here's the direct link to S&S for the current price: https://www.sscycle.com/products/sup...rburetor-only/
    The Super E didn't appear until . . .1990

Harley went through DC Linkert, Tillitson, Bendix, and two models of Keihin (butterfly and CV) during this same time period -- ending with the Keihin CV. Also on market from the late 1960s forward were a variety of CV carbs and pumper carbs from SU, Weber, Dell Orto and others. Yet, S&S held out until 1990 on pumpers.

Super B outsold the L series by a huge margin and the Super E outsold the B by a huge margin.

But, go back to that 1990 date. Somehow -- for roughly 25 years, S&S sold butterfly carbs based on "old" concepts . . .no accelerator pump -- and yet they remain one of the best known "performance" carbs for harley. And that "archaic" design that mimics the DC was sold clean into the 1980s -- from a 1950s design. Hmmm. Why would anyone plunk down good money for an "old" new carb?

BMW used to advertise that the pinnacle of engineering wasn't how complicated you can make something, but how simple.

Notice there are five fewer parts on the L series vs. the earlier G . . and the super b has even fewer parts. There's almost nothing to go wrong . . . except ham fisted repairs.

In other words -- embrace and enjoy the DC. It's a terrific little carb that has some flaws, but not too many for normal street riding with normal conditions.
    Last edited by chuckthebeatertruck; 05-25-2021, 03:53 PM. Reason: screwed up a date

Comment

You forgot the contribution of the Zenith carb to the family of Bendix and Keihin carbs when Bendix purchased Zenith in the 70's and continued using the Zenith name and the Keihin carb is just like the Zenith with a improved fuel delivery system perfected in Japan. The S&S "L" Series catalog chuck has illustrated is for sale on 2040 parts for $14.95 if still available if any of you like or collect original motorcycle literature. I have always thought of S&S as good "aftermarket" Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by silver65 View Post
        You forgot the contribution of the Zenith carb to the family of Bendix and Keihin carbs when Bendix purchased Zenith in the 70's and continued using the Zenith name and the Keihin carb is just like the Zenith with a improved fuel delivery system perfected in Japan. The S&S "L" Series catalog chuck has illustrated is for sale on 2040 parts for $14.95 if still available if any of you like or collect original motorcycle literature. I have always thought of S&S as good "aftermarket" Parts.
        Don't look now, Silver!

But early Zeniths, such as upon the Indian Fours, wasn't anything like you think.

T3½PAIRL.jpg

ZLID1.jpg

The L&L DC Model was revolutionary as a production carburetor because it enabled a horizontal throttleshaft for a v-twin motor, thus evening the charge between the cylinders.

Then everybody did it.

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 05-27-2021, 12:58 PM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yes Thank you Cotten Zenith had and opened a factory in Detroit in 1911 and have been around a long time but started in France.

Comment

I think Zenith just bought Bendix (carb division) and put their name on everything, Silver!

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post
            ...Also on market from the late 1960s forward were a variety of CV carbs and pumper carbs from SU, Weber, Dell Orto and others. Yet, S&S held out until 1990 on pumpers...
            I would say that is to S&S's credit, Chuck!

Don't need no steenking pump.

How could a B be worth that much without one?

....Cotten
            AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

How could a B be worth that much without one?

....Cotten
              Probably because the Super B just flat out works in the environment for which it was designed.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckthebeatertruck View Post

Probably because the Super B just flat out works in the environment for which it was designed.
                You mean, Chuck,...

At that price, there is actually a market niche left?

My days of playing with modern carbs are three decades past, and since that was before I religiously applied bubble theory, I cannot judge any credibly.

My philosophy is that there are no 'bad' carbs, just horribly over-complicated ones.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776

Comment

Originally posted by T. Cotten View Post

You mean, Chuck,...

At that price, there is actually a market niche left?

My days of playing with modern carbs are three decades past, and since that was before I religiously applied bubble theory, I cannot judge any credibly.

My philosophy is that there are no 'bad' carbs, just horribly over-complicated ones.

....Cotten
                  There is indeed, but drying up fast.

The main driver is that there's a difference between DIY street rebuilds and proper rebuilds that restore truly as new function. Many people struggle to get a L series or a Super B to work properly. When they are new or restored to new -- they are beyond sensitive, which compounds that challenge further. Considering how many people think a pumper carb is just the ticket -- you can see where I'm going.

Juggling float heights, intermediates and mains takes a lot of saddle time and a really good note book. The end result is magic -- but there is such a paucity of correct information about the carbs to make one cry.

Conversely, getting a DC Linkert to operate well across the entire operating range is pretty much within any enthusiasts grasp. They won't necessarily get it clean at all settings; but they sure can get it clean enough to do this:

IMG_5893.JPG

When I first shared this photo with some friends; they swore up and down I was running lean :-0 However, I then lay some information on them -- these plugs have a few thousand miles on them and came from my '59 XLH with a stock DC Linkert and stock air cleaner. The only "performance" mod is a K&N filter in the cleaner housing. Note they ain't "new" plugs either. So, yep, one can indeed tune this "old garbage" to work with "modern" fuel and not have any issues.

I find a lot of folks who complain about DCs or pre-1990 S&S simply lack sufficient saddle time to truly work out the kinks. They expect internet bullshido to sort them out . . .and get frustrated when they discover all the "advice" is from folks who think riding their old bike 500 miles a year might break it.

Anyways, guys who like DC often love sand cast S&S for the same reason: 3 moving parts -- choke, throttle disc, and float pivot. Not a whole lot to screw up or go wrong. I haven't really found a reason to not embrace this "old" technology.

Comment

Working...
                  X