No announcement yet.

65 FLH King of the Highway fit and finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans case is natural cast like motor cases. Kick cover was not painted silver, don't when they started to put a light polish on them but they were doing it in the early 70's. Kick arm was painted black.
    Brian Howard AMCA#5866

Comment

Thanks for the info.

Somehow it figures that the previous owner chromed the kicker arm when is should be black, and painted the clutch release lever black, when it should be natural finish or silver.

DUH.
      Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

If there's chrome under the paint, the paint will probably come off real easy. I have used acetone to remove paint, but there may be (ahem) "safer" ways to do it.

Comment

Doubt it would be chromed under there ... I meant the clutch release *arm* that swings across the top of the transmission and attaches to the mousetrap via the clutch rod, not the handlebar lever.

Mine's painted black, but in HD photos, appears it should be just natural finish.

Comment

it was cadmium plated in 65

Comment

Good to know - thanks!

Unfortunately, not a finish I can easily reproduce, and from what I see on other threads, prone to premature aging.

Comment

Originally posted by JSB55 View Post
                Good to know - thanks!

Unfortunately, not a finish I can easily reproduce, and from what I see on other threads, prone to premature aging.
                Nearly anything can be faked adequately with a little ingenuity: That's called *restoration*.

....Cotten
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I Use The --silver Bead Blast-- From The Harley Dealer. Looks Like Cad To Me Especially If You're Riding It. Glass Bead It First. It Is Really Durable

Comment

AH... cool... got a can of that right here, as I just used it on some aftermarket tappet blocks.

Comment

There are a great deal of cadmium plated parts on your 1965. If you are truly restoring the bike they should all be re plated. Rattle can paint is not a restoration.
                      Be sure to visit;
                      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Where could I find a list of the cad-plated parts?

I'm having to work off of the couple of photos that you've posted, Chris, and a few others that I've found online, plus using process of elimination. The chrome I can pretty much identify from the KOH descriptions in the Palmer and Fields books... anything else shiny in the photos must be cad-plated or polished, but it's not always easy to tell.

I know the front brake drum and lower fork legs are polished, and the front bumper, engine guard, and hub cap are chrome, as is most of the shiny stuff on the back end. Just looking at them, I'd guess that the "spears" that run down the side of the front fender, and the Electra Guide logo are probably cad, since they are not as shiny as either polished aluminum or chrome... but that still leaves me some other parts I'm unsure of... the brownie pans, D rings, clutch rod, etc.
                        Last edited by JSB55; 06-17-2009, 11:07 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

For starters, aluminum can't be cad plated. Fender trim is chrome plated. Hardware and most steel parts are cadmium plated, unless they are painted black.
                          Be sure to visit;
                          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

the best place i have found that still does true cadmium plating is

CASCADE PLATING
                            210 SABRE RD
                            ELYRIA, OH 44035

TEL NUMBER 440-366-4931

they have a minimum charge of $60 as of today---i just got off the phone with them to make sure they were still doing it and to get a price before i put this up here. i asked the guy how many pieces he would do for that like maybe a half of a 5 gallon bucket and he said that would be still under the minimum. i think that if you clean the parts really good yourself you could get a 5 gallon bucket full done for the minimum charge. the heavy plastic bucket makes a great shipping container too. you can get one from any painter or sheet rock man for about .50 or usually free. i have compared their work to many nos parts i have and it looks exact----hope this helps

Comment

JSB55,
                              The fender spears are stainless steel, polished. The emblems are chrome. The pans are a hard finish to duplicate, a clear anodized finish. There has been discussion on this forum. You can search for it. The D rings are as cast aluminum. Clutch rod is cad. Don't try to determine the finish from the photos. Ask about specific parts and you will get answers.
                              Good Luck
                              Robbie
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Man, you guys are a gold mine of info! And $60 is a small price to pay to get a bunch of stuff right.

OK, so assuming my chrome plater or the place in Ohio is a good place to go for cad, here's my short list (so far) of stuff to send them. If I can half fill a bucket with parts to be done, I must be missing quite a few.

Any suggested additions would be greatly appreciated, as would comments on the stuff marked "???"

clutch arm
                                clutch rod
                                shifter rod

foot shift lever ?????
                                shock studs and related nuts and washers ?????
                                rear brake pedal ?????
                                front brake crossover tube ?????
                                fuel line ?????
                                exhaust pipes (but not mufflers and heat shields) ?????
                                upper motor mount ?????
                                intake manifold ?????
                                pushrod tubes ?????

Not sure what to do about fasteners, as I have everything sorted, bagged, and marked so I know what part it goes with, and/or which hole in the cover (e.g. for cam and primary covers) it is potentially "mated" with.

Thanks again to all for the many great suggestions!

Last edited by JSB55; 06-17-2009, 01:06 PM. Reason: adding to list

Comment

Working...
                                X