X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have it blasted with walnut shell.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

OK ... will try that!

I hope I'm not required to eat like 25 bags of walnuts first to generate the shells, though.
      Ride it like you can fix it!

Comment

Seriously ... I found the walnut shell blasting media readily available online ... am I correct in assuming I should use Coarse or Extra Coarse to get the roughness of the sand cast finish back?

e.g., http://www.kramerindustriesonline.co...nut-shells.htm

John

Comment

Since your cover has been polished you will never get the sandcast finish back. My blasters media looks to be very fine.
          Be sure to visit;

Comment

Thanks for all the input!

I figure I'll get it looking as good as I can and then just enjoy my ride while keeping an eye out for an OEM cover in better condition than mine. Had to make that same choice on a couple of other parts, too.

John

Comment

Follow Chris's lead. Realize though that the timing cover on the '65 FLH is really a one year cover. You can perhaps find a shovel cover from 66 to 68 that a good machinist can drill out for you to make it a 65 - I did, but it is not an insignificant endeavor. Save that polished 65 timing cover, you might never find a replacement with the original finish.

It was very common for '65 owners to polish out their primary and timing covers to make them look pretty. Very surprised that your inner primary is polished, which make me think it is not original. That would take significant effort from the owner of an original 65 to have the bike torn down just to polish it out. Seems to me that your engine/trans might have been from a different bike.
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

While ordering the "hi-temp silver" paint from HD for my cylinders, I discovered they also sell something called "bead blast look", which is a grey paint that leaves a somewhat textured finish. I think they use it on sportster motors these days.

Has anybody tried that on an old cam cover to reproduce the original appearance?

I'm not building this bike for judging... just want to get it as correct-looking as I can for my own pleasure.

John

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
                  Follow Chris's lead. Realize though that the timing cover on the '65 FLH is really a one year cover. You can perhaps find a shovel cover from 66 to 68 that a good machinist can drill out for you to make it a 65 - I did, but it is not an insignificant endeavor. Save that polished 65 timing cover, you might never find a replacement with the original finish.

It was very common for '65 owners to polish out their primary and timing covers to make them look pretty. Very surprised that your inner primary is polished, which make me think it is not original. That would take significant effort from the owner of an original 65 to have the bike torn down just to polish it out. Seems to me that your engine/trans might have been from a different bike.
                  The former owner had put a chromed pan/shovel outer primary on it, and probably the inner as well, or else he polished it some while things were torn down... I bought the correct outer primary on e-bay.

The inner which I pulled off the bike is a 60620-65. It's not highly polished, by any means, but definitely much smoother than the sand cast finish on the outer cover. Looks exactly like the one pictured in the 58-68 parts catalog, where it's listed as # 60617-65A, which replaced 60620-58B. Go figure.

John

P.S. see my question above re the "bead blast look" paint.

And thanks for the tip about saving parts, but I always do; *everything* I take off a bike goes in a bin for that particular bike, which stays with the bike.
                  Last edited by JSB55; 05-30-2009, 02:06 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

i use that silver bead blast and sometimes a couple of applications of it on my knucklehead motors where the lifter blocks and oil pump have been chromed because it seems most of them have been. it gives back the texture pretty nicely. but that is on cast iron or steel parts. when i want to bring back the texture on aluminum i go to a place where they make grave stones and have them blast it LIGHTLY with a steel particle product called blastite. it brings back the surface nicely----makes it rough again. be careful not to do the inside or gasket surface though. if you use a different cam cover you will have to split your cases and align hone the pinion and cam bushings again or you could cause real damage to your engine. i think it is always better to use the original pieces that came on the motor unless they are beyond repair
                    Last edited by flat-happy; 05-30-2009, 03:02 PM. Reason: left out a couple of words

Comment

Thanks for the "blastite" tip ... will look into it.

The motor's completely apart right now... trying to get all the surfaces as close to correct as I can before reassembly.

John

Comment

Even after serious distressing with primitive tools (attached), steel shot blasting, and perhaps unspeakable blasting media before normal beading and final brushing,...

Previously polished castings will never have signatures of the original founder's flash grinders, production and salvage fixtures, and errant tosses into the bin.

The educated eye can easily detect a molested part.

But with an original for reference, the piece can at least be given some of its dignity back.

....Cotten
                        Attached Files
                        AMCA #776
                        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Chris,
                          In the factory photo it looks like there are no rivets on the floorboard mats. Is it just my bad eyes, or were the mats changed to glue-on application at some point?
                          Ralph

Comment

1914-1965 footboard mats were rivited.
                            Be sure to visit;

Comment

Dang, that confounded Spell-Check must be broken again!
                              http://laughingindian.com/
                              http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
                              A.M.C.A. Member Since 1986

Comment

Thanks for everybody's help so far... the previous owner of this bike applied paint very liberally, and usually in a wrong color, or where no paint belonged, so I'm struggling to get things back to a semblance of "correct".

Now I'm looking over the transmission finish, and can't tell from black and white photos whether that should be a natural metal finish similar to the engine cases, or whether it was originally painted silver to match the cylinders.

Mine seems to have a "natural" finish on the trans itself, but the kicker side cover appears to have been painted silver at some point.

It also has a chrome kicker arm, which photos appear to show was originally parkerized or painted black.

Anyone???

Thanks for the continued input... this is my first frame up redo and intended to be a rider, but I want it as "correct" as I can reasonably get it.

Comment

Working...
                                X