1965 Panhead Book Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by servicar View Post
    i just picked up 65 pan basketcase 4 digit vin with oil screen original paint
    Are you in a picture posting mood?
    We luurv pictures.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

• Originally posted by gmarakas View Post
      Greetings All,

I have received permission from the External Communication Council at H-D to obtain access to the archives in conjunction with a book project intended to produce a definitive restoration guide for the 65 Pan. The purpose of this thread is to enlist the help of the great minds of the AMCA. :-)

The 1965 Panhead is almost an entire marque of its own. It is so different as to not be considered a 1964 plus 1 or a 1966 minus 1. It has many one year only items and the myths and legends that follow this motorcycle are almost endless.

To that end, I want to include a chapter on myths and legends of the 65. I think the club members familiar with this machine will be able to contribute in both a meaningful and profitable manner.

You can contribute to this boo in one of three ways:

1) as a submitter of a question that you would like to see answered definitively in the book. Contributions of questions or issues that you want to make sure we cover are examples of this type of participation.

2) as a submitter of a myth or legend regarding the 65. This can come in the form of a common myth and the information sufficient to dispel the myth or just something you believe to be true about the 65 but have never been able to find a definitive answer. As an example, you might submit something like "I believe all 1965 Panheads had white solenoid covers." If you have a definitive source for this assertion you can include it or just submit the information as your opinion.

3) as a contributor of useful information that you believe might help make the book more of an accurate and useful resource.

Everyone who contributes in some measurable way will be included in the acknowledgements and a review panel will be solicited from the contributors to review the final manuscript and make comments or corrections prior to going to press.

I hope to make this a fun project that as many of you that want to be involved in some way can participate. Based on our present time table, the book should be in press by early Spring.

I'm looking forward to your posts and your suggestions for making the book a useful tool for our community.

Cheers,
      So how is this book coming along?????
      Be sure to visit;
      http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
      Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
      Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Hi Haynsey.
        Are you thinking of running with that spilled ball???

I checked his club page and saw you'd done a little drive by as well.
        He's still listed as a member ( does that mean he's Paid up? ) but he hasn't officially logged in since 4.39pm on 2/2/2012.
        Your question might fall on deaf ears.

If you write the book, we'll help prep you before the launch.
        You'll need some of that face paint that your footballers wear... some shoulder pads...and a helmet.
        I think that might help weather the critics.
        Then we'll spin you round a couple of times, prod and poke a bit, and get you riled up.
        When we got you good and ready, frothin at the mouth, we'll scoot you into the literary world.
        Good plan??
        Steve Little
        Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
        Australia.
        AMCA member 1950

Comment

• Well Steve, I can read writing but I cant write reading. The '65 is too big of a project. That is why Palmer cut his book off at '64.
          Be sure to visit;
          http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
          Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
          Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

• Can someone tell me what hardware goes to the front of the hard sandlebags on the '65 FLH that keeps the lids from falling off when opening the rear lock? A picture would be very helpful too! I'm meaning the pin or whatever that holds the lid to the bag.
            Last edited by craig (DE); 02-16-2017, 07:59 AM.
            Craig (Delaware)
            Delaware Bay Chapter
            Perkiomen Chapter
            AMCA Member #1011

Comment

• My 65 OP I have owned seems like forever

Comment

• Thanks for the picture but I really can't see what holds the lid the bag (hinge??).
                Craig (Delaware)
                Delaware Bay Chapter
                Perkiomen Chapter
                AMCA Member #1011

Comment

• Hope this helps.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Nothing really,that is why they were often found on the side of the road

Comment

• notice also that the 65 had the stapled on seal. thanks, Larry

Comment

• Actually Larry, if your bags have the seal stapled to the bag they are 1963-early 1964. Late 1964-1965 have them glued to the lid.

Comment

• Thanks Rod, mine are stapled, Larry

Comment

• My 65's were glued on. And pretty much any '65's that I have seen in the past were the same. Looks like you have the hardware photo you need?
                            Ray
                            AMCA #7140

Comment

• Just to continue the battery cover debate....new feature for '66.

Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X