Saddlebag Lids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saddlebag Lids

I'm sure everyone at this point has seen my wanted add for a saddlebag lid that would be correct for my '65.

I do have an offer on a 90935-66B but I don't think these are the same as my part number 909031-64

Can anyone help me clarify differences? I'm thinking the 90935-66B is for sportster bags?
    Last edited by rbenash; 10-18-2022, 04:34 PM.
    Ray
    AMCA #7140

You've got it figured out correctly. 90935-66 is Sportster. 9090331-64 is 65 & later FL's. Watch out for those 90931-63's though!

Comment

Thanks sswaney - aren't the -63 versions the ones without the gasket?
      Ray
      AMCA #7140

Comment

They had a rubber gasket stapled to the bottom, Ray!

Surviving staple shown poorly on the left,...

STAPLES.jpg

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Saddlebag 2..jpgSaddlebag 1.jpg

Comment

We never could find a match for the rubber gasket in brown. We did not install the staples as per original.

Comment

Thanks for that detail! Still looking for a lid :-(

So -63 had the gasket stapled to the bottom, -64 and later had the gasket in the lid, correct?
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

Hey folks, going give this a bump as I still am looking for a lid as my original post describes. Had a line on a pair but the hardware had been reworked with screws - did not have original rivet attachment. If I wasn't looking for something specific would have bought the set of bags and lids. The bags had the indentations as they did on 65 KOH, etc. Latches were correct but had been reattached and drilled for screws.

So - Still looking for a single, pair of 90931-64 lids if anyone has a line on a single/pair or even a bag set that is correct.
                Ray
                AMCA #7140

Comment

Since most lids were damaged or destroyed, expect to repair and repaint a set, or have it done for you. There is a man who has been showing up at the major meets who is restoring bag sets. I dont have his contact unfortunately. Hardware is available as well as rivets.

Comment

Originally posted by jorrow View Post
                    Since most lids were damaged or destroyed, expect to repair and repaint a set, or have it done for you. There is a man who has been showing up at the major meets who is restoring bag sets. I dont have his contact unfortunately. Hardware is available as well as rivets.
                    Yeah - for sure. I expect all that if I can't find something nice. I have a restoration, I'm primarily looking for a really nice lid to replace one that flipped off. The thing is if someone has munged things on a rework by attaching hardware with screws instead of proper rivets - I don't want that. That is why I'm being picky in my wanted add. I'm replacing a lid on a 99.5 point restoration not starting a project, etc. Thanks so much for your feedback.
                    Ray
                    AMCA #7140

Comment

Ray, since you are trying to maintain the 99.5 what will you do in the future to keep the new lid from coming off as they notoriously do? I add a hole and clip in the 90955-63 hinge but you probably can't do that.
                      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Aren't they an accessory? Accessories aren't judged.

Comment

A bike with the King of the Highway Package is expected to have all the KOH parts, which includes the bags
                          vph-d

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                            Ray, since you are trying to maintain the 99.5 what will you do in the future to keep the new lid from coming off as they notoriously do? I add a hole and clip in the 90955-63 hinge but you probably can't do that.
                            Excellent question! This is the 3rd time and final for this lid (unfortunately). That's what happens when you run them :-) This was a mfg defect IMHO from HD - nope they almost never got things right the first time IMHO. These early versions had weak security and weak latches. You NEED to remember to keep the latches LOCKED at all times. Otherwise any decent bump in the road can flip the latch and flip off the lid. That's why they changed the lock hardware in the next version.

In my case to not have to drill holes to provide a safety. I'll be rigging an internal glue pad with chain connections. 3M 30lb glue tape pads and related custom hardware.

Ray
                            Ray
                            AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by vph-d View Post
                              A bike with the King of the Highway Package is expected to have all the KOH parts, which includes the bags
                              vph-d
                              True - I have original KOH - full version. If you are "lucky" enough to have that you will have an added burdens of keeping that whole thing correct. I think you folks can see why I am a bit anal about something as simple as this lid :-)
                              Ray
                              AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                              X