Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harleycats
    This is the thread we were relating to.
    http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...d-Book-Project.

Got any "before" pictures of your project? Pictures keep us entertained.
    Steve Little
    Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
    Australia.
    AMCA member 1950

Comment

This is were I am today

Comment

Keep up the good work.

Comment

Looking good. Not sure how accurate you want to be.

First look, limited by the photo details.

The tail light lens is the wrong style, original was the shallow version - originals are getting salty so if you aren't getting judged wouldn't worry about it.

Cylinders were not black they were painted with the silver high temp paint. Should also be the versions that had the external oil passage (y pipe) for oil deliver to the rockers/top end.

Timing cover looks like 66 or later or repro? Original is one year cover, sand cast and should have the top screw with the oil passage in it that feed the external y pipe to feed oil
          to the rockers.

Rocker covers were stainless, not chrome.

Breather cover is the wrong style should be the round stainless version.

Turn signal housings aren't same as originals they are getting hard to find as well. They have the external number on the housings which is a good way to tell other than the overall style of the ones on your bike. Those versions are also getting hard to find.

But then - if you aren't concerned about judging, etc don't worry about it. It's looking pretty nice.

If you are planning to have it judged - looks like a repaint? If so it will be judged as a restoration, which will make it hard.

Incorrect style grips.

Mirrors are clamp on which is correct, should have the harley stamping on the stems and slot heads where the mirrors attach to the stems.

Looks like you are having fun with it - like that lift too!

Not trying to pick the bike apart, just figured this discussion is about '65 hardware accuracy, so that's the reason for comment.
          Last edited by rbenash; 03-23-2017, 08:29 AM.
          Ray
          AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
            ...Rocker covers were stainless, not chrome. ...
            Gosh Folks,

All the 65s I've owned and built for others had anodized aluminum pan covers. Are we talking about the same thing?

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Yeah, anodized aluminum, my bad. You not wrong bro' was talking too fast :-)
              Ray
              AMCA #7140

Comment

Originally posted by rbenash View Post
                Yeah, anodized aluminum, my bad. You not wrong bro' was talking too fast :-)
                "I thought I was wrong once", Ray!

But as the old saying goes: "I was mistaken".

As an attempt to get back to topic, I still haven't a tank striping scheme that I can document for my 3.5g shifter tanks other than from a coffee-table book. (Apologies in advance,...)
                I know the public would accept just about anything, but I hate to offend a judge. Well maybe not.

So many restorations have the striping curve exaggerated on the 5g tanks, that its hard to trust modern representations for the 3.5s either.
                I fear the '64 scheme (attached) was used into the '65 production, however its an assumption it would be on civvy machines as well.

A fellow posted his '65 red/birch tanks years ago with the '64 scheme, but I unfortunately only saved it as a thumbnail, and forgot his name as well.

Nonetheless, any genuine measurements of the striping widths would be tremendously appreciated by my painter. I have two personal '65 machines to complete before I can retire.
                Many thanks in advance,

....Cotten
                Attached Files
                AMCA #776

Comment

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...UoUnvA&theater

Comment

Upsrod!

Facebook doesn't accept my cookies.... ( the listing is "unavailable". )
                    But he AMCA forum does.

Thanks anyway.

...Cotten
                    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-23-2017, 05:50 PM.
                    AMCA #776

Comment

Only picture that I have Tom. Very close to a reversed 1963 but lower to clear the shift gate.

Comment

Hey Cotten!

Hah in this case - I wasn't mistaken, I was wrong :-) I know the covers are anodized aluminum and gave the wrong message, thanks for catching it.

Can't help on 3.5 tanks. I do have orginal paint and a direct copy from them on my resto of the set of the 5's.
                        Ray
                        AMCA #7140

Comment

Hi, Just Building a Rider but would like it to look as close to stock with out going BROKE.

1) The following are repop that i purchased Footboards, Mirrors , Brake & Clutch Cables , Chrome Fender Trim , Tank Trim , Seat Post , Buddy Saet ( Have OEM Solo ) Wiring Harness, Regulator, .50 OS TRW Pistons

2) Can you tell me did all 65's have a plug to grease comp sprocket or was that a King Of The Road update

3) I know the tins should be anodized but I like a little chrome

4) Rear crash bars I have seen 3/8 dia and 1/2 dia were they mount to the shocks was there a early and late and were was the brake

5) And as far as the a/c cover the S7S carb is history just got a M-74 rebuilt and a A/C with the center screw mounting ( steel chrome)

6) The following pictures is what i started with part time 17 months ago.

P.S Iam 62 years old and this is the 1st time ever doing anything like this but have had alot FUN:

Comment

All the 65s and early 66 primary covers that I've seen have the plug, Harley put out a service bulletin telling dealers to quit greasing the compensator mid 66 and they got rid of the plugs late 66 and up.

Comment

My OP 65 doesn't have the plug, but I don't think it was built with the King of the Highway package, either.
                              VPH-D

Comment

The original on mine has one but It had the full KOH packages so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

On page 26 of the original owners manual the plug is there and the bike shown in the manual has the plug.

The original 65 model year E Glide brochure has one and also is equipped with KOH.

I do have a book that has a section in the back that breaks out the equipment grouping for each Pan Head model year.
                                For 1965 in KOH Group #F5 it show the compensating sprocket as part of that group. This does seem to point to the
                                possibility that the compensating sprocket and the plug in the cover would have come with KOH? This book isn't an
                                official factory manual/document though. That section is pretty thorough though.

Others might have more detailed info. I think slick813 has the most plausible answer pretty sure I heard that more than once
                                when this topic would come up. My '65 is an early/lower engine number.
                                Last edited by rbenash; 03-27-2017, 05:10 PM.
                                Ray
                                AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                                X