65 Panhead Hardware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65 Panhead Hardware

Hi, can anyone tell me how much of the hardware on my 65 pan should be CP hardware.

All of the hex heads that aren't Circle F.

Comment

this was a chopper so I do not know what should be what

Comment

harleycats,
        Tough question to answer not knowing your intentions with the scoot. Do you plan a restoration, take back close to or as original, or just fix & ride? I would highly recommend the book by Bruce Palmer III; How to restore your Harley-Davidson, 2nd edition. Every aspect is covered and it's the best part you can buy for your scoot!

http://www.howtorestoreyourharleydavidson.com/

William
        William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
        http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

A 1965 parts book would be a great help.

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
            Got one.
            Still confused!

(Actually, even more so...)

....Cotten
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Palmer's book doesn't cover 65s, but would be a great help, anyway. Parkerized hardware gradually gave way to cadmium during the last of the Duo Glides.
              You can spend hundreds on the correct nuts and bolts for your machine, what are your plans?
              VPH-D

Comment

In addition to the above comments given your situation (previously a chopper):

Since it's a good chance MOST of your original hardware is missing it might be good to mention specific areas under question.

There are folks here that have completed full restorations on '65's and have had them judged and others that have unrestored originals that were also judged that could have a look then and tell you what's there.

The parts manual is a good start but not definitive when it gets down to CP vs Circle F, etc. Not too bad for plating but not a complete reference. More like a "best guesstimate" resource in terms of plating.

Good luck to you and God Bless if you are restoring a '65 from a chopper - you will have a huge project ahead of you. I don't know how it's even possible today to do this from your starting point on a '65.

They are truly the hardest PAN(Shovel?) to get done right IMHO given all of the mid year, last year, single year parts, etc. As well as the prices on everything to do a restoral from a chopper starting point. It's just a tough year and the prices on the one year stuff is out of sight now. Unless you have all of the stock original sheet metal, exhaust, frame, motor stuff stored I would say keep it a chopper or just bring it back to a runner.

There are one year tanks, one year seat, one year timing cover, one year starter, one year generator, one year lever perches, 2 year primary cover, sand casting on original engine covers, one year solenoid boot, rare voltage regulator, rare distributor, one year exhaust clamps, one year exhaust covers, last year footboards with specific standoffs, etc, etc. it goes on and on. Not to mention getting things painted right (I.E. the tanks).

Don't want to discourage you but think it through. Palmers books are great - but a '65 needs it's own book literally. If you are calling your bike a '65 because you have stamping on the engine
                case or heads that tell you that you have a '65 engine it can get really frustrating to take it all the way back to a factory '65 restoration.

If when the bike was chopped the person kept all the original stuff - that would be awesome. The hardware itself will be the least of your worries for the most part.

Feel free to contact or PM me with any questions or simply post on the board.

Good luck!
                Last edited by rbenash; 09-12-2016, 09:08 AM.
                Ray
                AMCA #7140

Comment

If they looked at all the bolt heads in judging,it would take more than a few minutes,,,so looking at previously judged bikes might confuse even more

Comment

Originally posted by upsrod View Post
                    I've never seen a parts book that showed what head markings were correct. Am I missing something?

Comment

Am I missing something?
                      Clairvoyance....
                      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

It's nice to have a pertinent parts book for your project, but it isn't a must have, due to their inaccuracy. There was a parts book issued for the 1965, with a supplement for the 66/67 models.
                        VPH-D

Comment

Thanks Ray this is were I am now see pictures

Comment

Have a look at the 65 Pan thread. It is a few years old and has a lot of questions and answers. If your asking about correct bolts, you must be looking to restore the old dear. Patience, cash, and swap meets are the essential ingredients. Good luck and post some pics of before if your up to it. Forget the last bit. I see your well into it
                            Last edited by Steve Little; 09-14-2016, 11:02 PM.
                            Steve Little
                            Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
                            Australia.
                            AMCA member 1950

Comment

Hi harleycats - I'd have to echo Steve Little. Looks like you are already well into it. His advice is wise. Getting the paint on the tanks right is hard to do. Hi Fi blue itself is hard to get to match
                              the original. Your work looks fine. But without being in the shop and looking at things close up I really can't comment.

I have some photos posted, actually a lot that you should see if you look back at the old threads Steve mentions.

Good luck on your project. No matter what you'll have a great bike at the end.

It's a different thing if you plan to have it judged as a '65 restoration.

The level of detail is pretty serious for the year.

But in the end who cares. You're preserving a vintage piece of history and putting it back on the road.

All good.
                              Ray
                              AMCA #7140

Comment

Working...
                              X