X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chris in Japan View Post
    Hi Perry!

How are you doing?

Is that hex head in the rear axle correct? If not this would support the statement of Chris regarding mixed parts in the very HD museum!

I was also shocked to learn some where repainted... Can that be true?

Kind regards,

Chris.
    I to am confused about the rear axle. When reading Palmer's book he says the rear axle on a 47 is a round head, but my buddy, who is the second owner of a 47FL, VIN # in the low 5100's has a hex head rear axle. His bike was last plated in 53 but had been ridden around town for a few years after that unplated, then sat for 30 plus years until he bought it.

Comment

I have seen an original paint 1946 or 1947 with a front fender that had both widths of brace on it?

The 47 in the Museum is a great bike but would any body like to comment on its engine number?

Pete Reeves 860
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by pete reeves View Post
        I have seen an original paint 1946 or 1947 with a front fender that had both widths of brace on it?

The 47 in the Museum is a great bike but would any body like to comment on its engine number?

Pete Reeves 860
        Not all the bikes in the museum have never left the MoCo. Many were purchased or donated recently.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

What are you asking Pete??
          The fact that it is neither the first nor the last??

Robbie
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Peter I noticed the serial number this summer when I was there for the Knucklehead Reunion that it looked a little different. I thought that the edges of the boss looked a little sharp. Script apppears to be about right but I do not like the boss.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry.

Exactly what I thought.

It’s a fantastic bike and I wish it was mine. There could be many reasons to explain why the number boss looks like it has been altered. But this factor needs to be taken into consideration when using this bike as proof of what was correct on a high number 47.

Pete Reeves 860

Comment

I'm going to say it. That looks like a numbers job to me. The original numbers appear to have been milled off and replaced with new numbers. The stamps used are correct harley font but I bet an acid test would tell a different story.

Comment

The MoCo's 1937 U has also had the number boss milled off and been restamped. Exactly like a '37 Knuck I used to own.
                  Be sure to visit;
                  http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
                  Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
                  Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Here's a collage of the number boss from all the photos I have. Enjoy!
                    Attached Files
                    Ralph

Comment

Here is a picture of th 37u number boss.

Pete Reeves 860
                      Attached Files

Comment

Now that is truly a shame. And H-D should be ashamed of themselves! But hey, if they keep clipping down the corporation maybe some of those bikes will be "excess to their needs".
                        Robbie
                        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Here is a picture of a VIN only two off of the factory 47EL for comparison.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X