47 EL at the factory's museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Erdos View Post
    Does anyone else have trouble believing that that bike is original? The paint and most of the cad looks perfect .
    I agree with you. There is no way that bike is untouched.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

btflat47, I agree - It would be better for us if the bikes were displayed 'in the round' so one could see each side up close. I actually was visited by the security guard. It seems I set off an alarm each time I leaned over to take a closer photo. But we have to remember that the museum is not just for the restoration community. They have to keep a flow of people coming through the doors in order to survive. Most of the visitors couldn't care less if that was a hex head axle or not.
      Erdos and exeric - original, yes. Untouched, maybe no. Apparently the museum will partially disassemble some bikes for cleaning. No way for us to know how the '47EL was treated unless the curator tells us. Compared to the '40 which has a dent in the tank and thus apparently original, the paint and finish on this one are about the same quality. This bike has been indoors and unridden so it should look pretty good. No need to guess, though. Just put in a call to Bill Rodencal and ask.
      Ralph

Comment

Thanks Ralph for making your pictures available.
        I have a question for anyone who might know. The HD museum's '47 Knucklehead has a rear fender with both width fender braces. The correct wide main brace & narrow braces supporting the hinged part. Has anyone seen this before? I had a fender like that & figured it was a late '46 transition fender that was made with both. I searched out & eventually found wide braces & replaced mine to be all wide braces. I have a late model Knuckle with a 5 digit Vin like the museums. Now I'm wondering if I mistakingly made it incorrect. I'm also wondering about the other ways the museums bike differs from what we know to be correct for a '47. It's a shame that there is not a definitive resource for restoring. You would think that the HD museum would be.
        Bob
        Bob

Comment

Lee ( LJH )
          In the other thread '47 Tail light, you mentioned you have a barn fresh 47E with a 4 digit vin that has narrow fender braces? I'm trying to figure out this fender brace dilema. Palmer says '47's have wide braces. It doesn't go into much depth on it. I'm not criticizing or questioning someone's bike or Palmer, just trying to understand the latest thinking. Am I to understand that your bike has all narrow braces front & back?
          Thanks in advance, Bob AMCA 3756
          Bob

Comment

Page 569, 570 in Palmers show Wayne Cragie's fathers new 1946 with one wide and one narrow brace. It is no sccret that the factory repainted and did replating on a lot of their unmolested original bikes. Whoever gave the go ahead for that should be whipped.
            Last edited by Chris Haynes; 10-11-2009, 02:23 PM.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I agree with you Chris, they can't be returned to original. You would think the Motor Company would know that.
              Your eyes must be better or younger than mine, I'll have to trust you on the narrow braces on Mr. Craigie's new ride. Palmer notes wide braces which are also visible, but its hard for me to tell on the flip braces. So, have you noticed this brace combination before? Is it common? Bob
              Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobdo View Post
                I agree with you Chris, they can't be returned to original. You would think the Motor Company would know that.
                Your eyes must be better or younger than mine, I'll have to trust you on the narrow braces on Mr. Craigie's new ride. Palmer notes wide braces which are also visible, but its hard for me to tell on the flip braces. So, have you noticed this brace combination before? Is it common? Bob
                Read the text for the photo on 570. I have seen the original photographs first hand.
                Be sure to visit;

Comment

Chris,
                  I've re-read the text on pg. 570. The only reference to fender brace width is, "Note the wide fender brace on the front fender".
                  There must be a misunderstanding. I've always thought that 1947 models had wide fender braces front & back. My question is, was it common for the rear fenders in 1947 to have a wide verticle brace and narrow horizontal braces supporting the flip portion of the rear fender? The '47 in Dommi7's pictures from the HD museum & my fender were like this. I now regret changing my rear fender to all wide braces after seeing the HD museum bike.
                  Thanks, Bob
                  Bob

Comment

Here is a factory photo of a 1948.
                    Be sure to visit;

Comment

Chris,
                      It appears to me that the 1948 Flathead 45 in your pic has all wide fender braces in the rear & narrow braces on the front. It must be a bit_h being an AMCA judge.
                      Thanks for sharing all your amazing pics. They are a great help to us all.
                      Bob AMCA 3756
                      Bob

Comment

Chris,
                        It appears to me that the 1948 Flathead 45 in your pic has all wide fender braces in the rear & narrow braces on the front.
                        That is why I posted it. Could be a surplus of 45" fenders were layin' around. Big Twin photos don't show that.
                        Be sure to visit;

Comment

Chris,
                          Your probably right about the surplus front fenders. So, I guess we will never know why some rear fenders had narrow flip braces. They probably had a large quantity left over like the front fenders. Perhaps, the short length was what was left over from cutting the longer pieces out of standard length of flat stock & they had more of them made up than the longer vertical pieces. It seems weird to me that some had wide & some narrow, especially late into 1947.
                          Bob
                          Bob

Comment

Chris,
                            Your probably right about the surplus front fenders. So, I guess we will never know why some rear fenders had narrow flip braces. They probably had a large quantity left over like the front fenders. Perhaps, the short length was what was left over from cutting the longer pieces out of standard length of flat stock & they had more of them made up than the longer vertical pieces. It seems weird to me that some had wide & some narrow, especially late into 1947.
                            Bob
                            Bob,
                            The only problem with that theory is that the edge of the braces is rolled round, not square cut.
                            Be sure to visit;

Comment

The only problem with that theory is that the edge of the braces is rolled round, not square cut.

Chris,
                              I don't understand what you mean. The braces have edges that are "slightly rolled" from the dies, the ends would be cut or stamped at the correct length. Earlier post, I was referring to the amount of pieces they might get from lengths of stock. It was just a thought.
                              Bob
                              Bob

Comment

Bob

I have no doubt that your fender with the mixed straps could have come from the factory that way. I have never had a fender like that but have seen them. A good indicator usually is quality of workmanship. Usually if it is done after the fact it definitely shows it. I think you might have a good theory on the short left over stock.

Also not all fender straps were preformed with rounded edges. There are a few war year bikes with fenders that use strap that are very obviously sheared from flatstock.

Jerry

Comment

Working...
                                X